Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Eventually there will be no difference between Mac OS X and iOS.

My guess is... when they roll around to OS XI (11), it will have merged with iOS into one operating system.

Who knows, by that point maybe we'll have those touchscreen iMacs that were rumored awhile back.

"OS XI" will only exist in fiction. iOS is the future.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Eventually there will be no difference between Mac OS X and iOS.

My guess is... when they roll around to OS XI (11), it will have merged with iOS into one operating system.

Who knows, by that point maybe we'll have those touchscreen iMacs that were rumored awhile back.

OS Xi ;)

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
What Apple has planned is this...
Total and complete integration of IOS to OS. Within the next 3 years your desktop or laptop screen (if a laptop is still around at that time) will look and feel exactly like your iPhone/iPad.

I'm saddened by this as I'm not a fan of Apple integrating the two. Apple is under the illusion that the popularity of their iPhone/iPad means that people also want their desktops to operate the same way. Wrong Apple Wrong!!!!!!

Totally agree!:(

----------

iOS X

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ew the Mountain Lion user has a MacBook Air :rolleyes:
Slower CPU than my '06 MacBook and way overpriced.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
"I have an iMac running Mac OS X" sounds weird. However, "OS X" just means the "tenth operating system", which isn't distinct enough.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
The logic is strange when you think about it in the old terms of Mac OS or Windows OS. Now it's...

"What OS do you use?"

"OS X"

"What's X"

"Ten"

"Ten what?

"The tenth OS"

"eh, ok"

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
What Apple has planned is this...
Total and complete integration of IOS to OS. Within the next 3 years your desktop or laptop screen (if a laptop is still around at that time) will look and feel exactly like your iPhone/iPad.

I'm saddened by this as I'm not a fan of Apple integrating the two. Apple is under the illusion that the popularity of their iPhone/iPad means that people also want their desktops to operate the same way. Wrong Apple Wrong. But.......... too late, because the damage is done.. everyone already owns an iPhone/iPad

But would you like your iPad to be a bit more like your Mac? - this might be a positive thing ;)

DaneJa

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I believe that OSX Mountain Lion will be on iPad

The dropping of the Mac part of the OS X gives us some wiggle room to assume that the Desktop software may actually end up on the iPad a lot sooner than later. The we may see hardware and software changes in the iPad to make this a possibility. If this does happen, this will give Apple the fire it needs to be the number one hardware maker. Lets see what happens.

http://www.byteofmac.com

twitter.com/dane_ja

https://www.facebook.com/LevelsofDaneJa

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Lion is horrible and made Vista seem somewhat stable.. Had to go back and re-install SL on my wifes macbook because of the bugginess

I'm not trying to defend Lion here, but comparing it to the stability of Snow Leopard isn't fair. Snow Leopard was around for 2 years when Lion was released, and SL was a "bug fix" OS on top of Leopard, which was released 4 years before Lion was available.

Not saying Lion is perfect, but yelling and screaming about an OS that is less than a year old when compared to a 4(ish) year old OS is unfair.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The dropping of the Mac part of the OS X gives us some wiggle room to assume that the Desktop software may actually end up on the iPad a lot sooner than later. The we may see hardware and software changes in the iPad to make this a possibility. If this does happen, this will give Apple the fire it needs to be the number one hardware maker. Lets see what happens.

I wish, but it looks like Apple's doing the opposite and turning OS X into iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.