Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple surprised everyone this morning with a developer preview of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. The new release brings a number of iOS-like features to the Mac, as detailed in this video:

- Messages - new version of iChat with iMessage support
- Reminders - create lists and tasks, synced via iCloud
- Notes - create notes, synced via iCloud
- Notification Center - on screen pop-up notifications
- Share Sheets - share buttons to email, tweet, message, etc...
- Game Center - social gaming center for Mac
- AirPlay Mirroring - broadcast your Mac's screen to your Apple TV

Apple also released a public beta of the Messages App for OS X Lion users and is available today.

Apple did give some of the media early previews of Mountain Lion, which we suspect may have been the unusual media event that had been predicted. OS X Mountain Lion is available to registered developers today, and will be go on sale in late summer 2012.

Roundup of our earlier coverage:

- OS X Mountain Lion's Documents in the Cloud Simplifies File Access Across Devices
- Apple Officially Drops 'Mac' Name from OS X Mountain Lion
- Software Update to Move Inside Mac App Store in OS X Mountain Lion
- OS X Mountain Lion Limits Apps to Mac App Store, Signed Apps by Default
- OS X Mountain Lion Drops Support for Many 2006-2008 Macs with Integrated Graphics
- OS X Mountain Lion to Be True Mac App Store Exclusive

We've also opened an OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion forum for questions and discussions about Apple's new operating system.

Article Link: Roundup of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Features and Notes

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
This annoying checkbox from Lion is finally fixed!
It remembers his 'state'. So you don't have to uncheck it anymore.
14sp55.png

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Waiting to hear all the HiDPI and 2880x1800 details in Mountain Lion to come flooding in over the next few days.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

And we need game center on our Macs why?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

To play games with friends? It's a perfectly understandable addition to OSX.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I like the notification center and imessenger, but I can't imagine that I'd use the other features much.

Last edited:

JAPrufrock

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
So sad

Installed on my other machine. Saw that they had removed a substantial item from my workflow. Saw the shinies. Realized that this was not going to be a needed upgrade. Decided to skip this one.

Now restoring 10.7.3 from Time Machine. Easy.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Same reason we have it in our phones?

Big game developers already have their own methods for keeping track of high score boards etc. Little developers that make these random games don't have the resources to do this.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I hate how Notification Center pushes the entire desktop away to the left. A semi-transparent sliding overlay similar to Growl's default UI would be much more elegant.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't like how notifications have a close button. Seems like it will be annoying. Growl handles this much better by disappearing after a few seconds.

It does disappear. Depends how you set it up. Check the screenshot of the OS X notification centre. You can have certain app notifications stay on screen till you take action, or you can have them fade after a few seconds.

I hate how Notification Center pushes the entire desktop away to the left. A semi-transparent sliding overlay similar to Growl's default UI would be much more elegant.

I'd like this. Maybe Apple will give us an option. But you can use a gesture to activate notification centre so maybe it won't be that bad.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

Same reason that Xbox Live or Steam has mobile apps, they's just working backwards. They're linking the social aspect of gaming together across all their platforms. Personally I don't use Game Center hardly at all, but I'd imagine that a lot of people do so for some it's a very cool feature to integrate their desktop games into it. Regardless of how much you use Game Center though you have to admit that it's cool how their connecting all their devices together. I can't wait until more of the creative apps get on board with iCloud. I could really use a mobile version of Pixelmater that syncs with my desktop version or a iOS iMovie syncing with the desktop iMovie or Final Cut. Awesome!

rishey

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
No Pro

They haven't mentioned a single feature related to pro users. Nothing. It's all about being a consumer, consuming video and sharing your unemployment stories with your friends.

P.S. Why am I a newbie even though i joined in 2003?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.