Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
From a security standpoint windows 7 is better than any othe windows OS.But I never like windows vista or windows 7 GUI and it is not user friendly. Some people like it and others hate it.
Windows 8 will be significantly better again and will also deliver a new file system and many other features that should really have come out with Win 7. The thing most people aren't going to like is the initial interface but the standard Windows desktop is still available.

What is clear so far is that Microsoft are putting a lot of effort into developing something new and Win 8 will not just be a simple GUI enhancement. Whether it will work for everyone and appeal to the popular taste remains to be seen.

I still think OS X is best OS out there now but in the future if OS X looks like iOS or some thing very different I may go with Linux.
Agreed, although Windows 8 could tempt me to use my PC a bit more.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
The general direction of Mac OS X is pretty much purging the last bits of Carbon and making it 100% Cocoa from top to bottom with as much code shared between Mac OS X and iOS where it makes sense. This hasn't been something new - it is something that Apple having been aiming for since Mac OS X was launched and I'd say by 10.9 that all vestiges of Carbon will be completely removed from the operating system with a pure Cocoa one going forward. IMHO it can only be a good thing simplifying the operating system combined with the improved developer tools.

They haven't mentioned a single feature related to pro users. Nothing. It's all about being a consumer, consuming video and sharing your unemployment stories with your friends.

P.S. Why am I a newbie even though i joined in 2003?

You're a newbie because in 9 years you've made 19 posts.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Anyone find it ironic that for years Mac users have used the "pop ups" on Windows as a nag absent on OS X? Now we will have or own plethora of nagging sharing friending nonsense. Takes more time to write the tasks and manage them than the usefulness of having them. What are you gaining that Textedit and Stickies and Growl already offer? Oh, unification. Really? So what. I am REALLY hoping for some under the hood goodies if this is the feature set.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
What do you want apple to do a unnecessary GUI change just to make sale like Microsoft did with windows XP to windows vista and windows 7.

Or you want apple to give you features?
Nah, for a major system version change I don't want "unnecessary GUI change", I want better functionality (not necessarily obviously visible, ie. GUI). Perhaps a better-performing graphics system, an ability to interact with new types of network protocols, or some of the changes that Snow Leopard introduced, for example.

I don't know, what we've seen so far seems like pretty minor fluff to me.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nah, for a major system version change I don't want "unnecessary GUI change", I want better functionality (not necessarily obviously visible, ie. GUI). Perhaps a better-performing graphics system, an ability to interact with new types of network protocols, or some of the changes that Snow Leopard introduced, for example.

From what I've tried so far, ML runs much much smoother on my late 2008 MBAlum than Lion. Animations are always smooth (launchpad on Lion still lags a lot even today, MC the same) and apps open and respond more quickly. It' very snappy. Lion DP1 wasn't this stable or snappy for me and honestly, I think we'll have a pretty damn good release coming up.

Up until today, although Lion runs without any kind of glitch on my system (I never had any of the kernel panics or serious troubles other users report), truth is that most times, some animations are ugly to see and I never really understood why: if I can run The Force Unleashed pretty decently in my system, why can't it handle simple GUI animations?
Anyway, ML seems to have taken care of these. The only thing about it that I don't find particularly "comfortable" is the gesture for opining the notification centre... There's something terribly unnatural about placing 2 fingers on the extreme of the trackpad and swiping in. Maybe in the future they'll add more options.

disneyfire

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
US
upgrading to lion.....

Quick question...as i still consider the change from S.L. to Lion..after the download...do i have to redo my email on dock...In other words..if i click on the stamp..i get my mail from my email account, will i have to redo the ability after the Lion install or will it just continue to work as is...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Quick question...as i still consider the change from S.L. to Lion..after the download...do i have to redo my email on dock...In other words..if i click on the stamp..i get my mail from my email account, will i have to redo the ability after the Lion install or will it just continue to work as is...

when I upgraded it was pretty seamless, my dock icons remained the same, the programs I had set to start upon login still started, etc... my programs retained there saved settings (in Mail's case it still had my email accounts setup). If I recall, the first time I opened mail after upgrading to Lion, the mail program took some time "upgrading" locally stored mail data but that's about it.

disneyfire

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
US
when I upgraded it was pretty seamless, my dock icons remained the same, the programs I had set to start upon login still started, etc... my programs retained there saved settings (in Mail's case it still had my email accounts setup). If I recall, the first time I opened mail after upgrading to Lion, the mail program took some time "upgrading" locally stored mail data but that's about it.
Thanks, i have been stubborn to upgrade to lion....but, im kinda leaning to do it.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I wouldn't say I regret upgrading to Lion, but there are certainly a few things I miss about Snow Leopard. I was kind of hoping that Mountain Lion would be like Snow Leopard was to Leopard. mostly "under the hood" changes. Perhaps that will still turn out to be the case, and I'm sure I"m not the normal consumer, but I'd love to hear about updates to Core Audio, Core Animation, Core Data, refinements in the kernel, stability, frameworks, Open GL, Open CL, refinements and updates, leaner (less bloated) code, the main apps being honed in (I'm glaring at you Mail and Finder), Automater, Applescript, better use of multicore processors (Grand Central Dispatch, etc...), memory management, File System enhancements, and so on.

I'm not saying that Apple isn't making updates to any of these areas, they aren't as "flashy" to show consumers, but I'd enjoy a 2 minute video glossing over some of these updates every bit as much as I watch about "reminders, contacts, etc..."

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
So far so good with the beta, using it with Logic Pro, I am able to boot into 32 kernel as my sound card wont make 64 bit drivers.
All is well
No issues and imessage is sweet

disneyfire

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
US
upgraded to lion today....perfectly

Despite some of the folks that didn't have a good experience i decided to purchase Lion earlier today.....about an hour later, it was installed and working seamlessly so far. As a matter of fact...i love it.
It will take time to use it all as should be but all in all....i love it.
:D
I loved S.L but Lion is better.
Kudos Apple

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Isn't Mountain Lion actually a step or two backwards? A Lion is tougher than a mountain lion. I'm thinking a Snow Leopard would kick a mountain lion's butt. What do you guys think?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sadly, yes. It seems like Windows hasn't changed from NT to Vista, but Windows 7 has a lot of compatibility issues.

This has to be put in the "Clueless Hall of Fame Posts" at MacRumours.

Vista was a huge change from XP, and Win7 a rather minor refinement from Vista (but a refinement that not only addressed many of the complaints about Vista, but was a genuine leap from the past).

Isn't Mountain Lion actually a step or two backwards? A Lion is tougher than a mountain lion. I'm thinking a Snow Leopard would kick a mountain lion's butt. What do you guys think?

Hard to say. We have cougars (mountain lions) in our backyards here, and I certainly don't want to battle one.

I don't need to worry about running into a lion on the patio, but there's a real chance that I'll run into a cougar (mountain lion) in my backyard. Housecats can be scary - big cats are always scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas. This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere,[3] extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America.

An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the Western Hemisphere, after the jaguar.

Although large, the cougar is most closely related to smaller felines and is closer genetically to the domestic cat than to true lions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This has to be put in the "Clueless Hall of Fame Posts" at MacRumours.

Vista was a huge change from XP, and Win7 a rather minor refinement from Vista (but a refinement that not only addressed many of the complaints about Vista, but was a genuine leap from the past).

Geez, I was referring to the compatibility. Nearly everything that works in Vista works in everything NT and later also (or at least XP). In Windows 7, they dropped a lot of compatibility and introduced some kind of "XP app" runner only available in certain versions. Of course, nothing I use works without that.

I'm not saying that the interface hasn't changed. It was at its most annoying level in Vista. I know they changed the interface significantly each time 2000 and later.

----------

Well, a Cheetah is the fastest and first. Maybe that's actually true. Despite Apple claiming that each OS was faster, they probably got slower and slower.

But a Leopard vs Tiger? Who would win? And mountain lions are the same as pumas, and Puma was version 10.1. From Wikipedia: Cougar, a large cat also known as a puma, mountain lion, panther, or catamount.

----------

I think it would be nice to have Siri on the mac.

Yes, the current speech recognition is pathetic.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well, a Cheetah is the fastest and first. Maybe that's actually true. Despite Apple claiming that each OS was faster, they probably got slower and slower.

But a Leopard vs Tiger? Who would win? And mountain lions are the same as pumas, and Puma was version 10.1. From Wikipedia: Cougar, a large cat also known as a puma, mountain lion, panther, or catamount.

The Tiger would eat the Leopard for lunch. The last version of OSX will be Tiger.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone find it ironic that for years Mac users have used the "pop ups" on Windows as a nag absent on OS X? Now we will have or own plethora of nagging sharing friending nonsense.

So turn it off. I don't see what the whining is about considering you can set the notifications prefs and disable it per app.

So you want things that probably aren't readily visible...but you're complaining that the stuff you want isn't readily visible? There is a bunch of stuff beyond the initial announcements, a bit premature to complain that it's not enough when nobody outside of apple knows all that it includes.

From what I've tried so far, ML runs much much smoother on my late 2008 MBAlum than Lion. Animations are always smooth (launchpad on Lion still lags a lot even today, MC the same) and apps open and respond more quickly. It' very snappy. Lion DP1 wasn't this stable or snappy for me and honestly, I think we'll have a pretty damn good release coming up.

Agreed, and hopefully they can optimize even more before release.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
The Airplay for Mac sounds awesome. Its the one feature I always wished that my Apple TV was able to do. Cant wait although the update is a huge evolution I am still excited and am definitely going to update!

Adomian

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Laptops should not be iPads

Recent additions to the Mac OS in Lion and now Mountain Lion have gotten me a little ticked off at Apple. It seems like they translate success on the iPhone or iPad into a "good" idea for Mac. Computers have their place in the world of electronic devices; they have bigger screens, full keyboards, more advanced GUIs, and frankly don't need any new features from IOS. Take the Notification Center for example. It seems like a good concept -- one place where all of your notifications go, kind of like Growl. But the way they implemented it Mountain Lion seems kind of dumb. Macs have their own place for small utilities like Notification Center on the Menu Bar, next to the clock. They don't need to make it hide half of the desktop any time you want to look at your notifications. What are they going to have next, an on-screen keyboard for our convenience?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.