Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prhammer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
The continuing slide into the iOSified muck. I hope to never leave Leopard/Snow Leopard.

My biggest fear: Snow Leopard end of life announcement. I know it won't happen anytime soon. But I would bet that it will begin being marginalized very soon.

tommihendrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I literally just bought Lion... sigh... that's the way the cookie crumbles... Hopefully it will only be $30 again. I'm thankful Lion was only $30, don't get me wrong, but I would have waited for MT Lion if I knew it was coming not too far away.........

Perhaps Lion will be required to update to Mountain Lion anyway, like how Snow Leopard was required to update to Lion, rather than Leopard to Lion.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Airplay Mirroring got useless the moment i found out that its blocking video content to be streamed, all u get is a black screen ... there goes my hope for hulu etc. but i should have known that

iMessage doesnt work, it wont recognize any of my contacts as iMessage users and my Messages end up on the iPad instead as well. however its beta sooo

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Going to a yearly release schedule may look like Apple is giving attention to its Macs, but Apple is also redefining what a .x update to Mac OS X is. iOS has received feature updates each year, and this is also a features update for the Mac OS. Looking at what's new, most of the updates are not at the actual operating system level, except for AirPlay, further iCloud integration, and notifications. I don't believe in the past that those would be enough of a paradigm shift for a .x upgrade. Snow Leopard had enough under the hood changes that even without OS paradigm shifts, it was a worthwhile upgrade.

When I saw with my groggy eyes this morning that there would be a Mountain Lion so soon after Lion, my first reaction was of happiness that Apple came back to its senses and realized the performance issues and bloatedness with Lion were so pervasive that they were going to do a Snow Leopard style update which would make the OS run leaner and faster. Of course, that's not what Apple has announced.

I suppose this upgrade is to make it as easy and intuitive as possible to move from an iPhone or iPad to a Mac. What I think Apple forgets though is that it is the iPad and iPhone interface that is new. Most computer users have been Windows users and are comfortable with a file system manager and a little bit of complexity, as long as you give it an intuitive UI, which the Mac always excelled at. I haven't used these new iCloud open and close boxes yet, but it looks like Launchpad, which doesn't give you very much control.

I am glad to see Airplay coming, but beyond that I would have been more happy with performance updates and bug fixes. I'm not terribly disappointed into the balkanization of iCal and Address Book and Mail and iChat into new applications—at the least you can say it's semantic and logical, unlike iTunes which is a catch-all.

I am not against progress, and maybe I'll learn to adjust in time with the Lion and post Lion-OS's. I just feel like some of the elegant intuitiveness of the Mac is being pushed aside for an easier appliance-like environment, which works, unless you want to do something the computer doesn't anticipate you wanting to do, a la Windows Wizards. I think we'll look back on computers from the 90s and 00s as being unique in that they allowed more granular control and were a bit more bohemian and quirky (and to me natural feeling) than what is to come next.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
OMG!!!!!!!!!
I hope its out on june.
Also this was fast, 10.7 came out in July last year.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What items have been removed?

--

I'm kind of surprised you can't run iOS apps on Mountain Lion.. and that Dashboard hasn't been improved / changed - its been forgotten since its release.

Well, iOS apps are for ARM processors, not Intel. I tried for a long time to get them to run on the iPhone Simulator that comes with XCode. You can only run the "testing" versions that are meant to run on the Mac.

prhammer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Personally I do not like them putting iMessaging into the desktop. It is going to cause issues because how we write message from a computer is very different than from a phone and much faster. It makes communications between someone on a phone and a computer rather annoying. Anyone who has used one of the meany IM clients that bridges the gap between the 2 more than likely have noticed this frustrations in there are two different styles of writing and responding.

While I agree that I write differently on computer vs phone - I like a unified platform. When I was using Android, I liked that I could continue my google chat conversations when I left the office.

My question will be if it will allow me to message non-mac/iphone/ipad users from iMessage on my mac? I'm guessing not. I like that on my iPhone, iMessage works seamlessly within the text messaging app. If there was a similar approach on the Mac, this would be great. For example, if I can still add google chat sessions like I can in iChat. But if this becomes apple users only - then it won't really be that helpful. I don't like segregating my friends and family based on their platform!

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
gotta say, looks preeetty amazing to me! I love the idea to create similar experiences on different devices! good job apple! :apple:

What do we even need it for at all? It's just annoying.

wow... Don't use it? who forces you to use gamecenter?? what's wrong with you people?

B00KemDAN0

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I already own a Mac mini, 2 Macbook Pros, an iPad, and 2 iPhones, and numberous iPods. It's not like I don't give Apple lots of money every year.

Apple TV should be for people who only want to spend $99 to run their TV with a Mac. If I'm willing to spend $999 to run my TV with a Mac, I shouldn't get less features.

Hell, I'd even pay $99 for an OSX application that exactly replicated everything an Apple TV does (despite the fact that there's already a lot of overlap with OSX). What I do not want is yet another thing plugged into my TV.

did you also buy your mac mini recently expecting a cd drive without having to pay extra? dont get me wrong i'm on your side on this lol

rauko

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
No mac pro??

At the end they showed a computer from the iMac line, the MackBook line and the Air line, yet, no Mac Pro.

And BTW, no Mac Pro in the video either..... are they telling us something???

Bests,

Adrian

B00KemDAN0

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Airplay Mirroring got useless the moment i found out that its blocking video content to be streamed, all u get is a black screen ... there goes my hope for hulu etc. but i should have known that

iMessage doesnt work, it wont recognize any of my contacts as iMessage users and my Messages end up on the iPad instead as well. however its beta sooo

No, the local screen goes black according to reviews I've read, not the one you're playing to

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What would you suggest?

No question they should do things specifically to help out people running high end apps, but what specifically is something that they would include in a day one announcement?

Even if what I wish are on the agenda, I doubt Apple would've mentioned them. That said, I would love (1) updated file system (data integrity, storage pool, dedupe), (2) better memory management (Lion rarely reclaims inactive memory into free memory in a timely manner), and (3) better multi-monitor support.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
The "One more thing..." feature missing in Mountain Lion

I can't help but feel that there's a "One more thing..." feature missing in Mountain Lion and that feature being Siri.

I think that Apple is waiting until announcing the iPad 3 to reveal it for Mountain Lion.

The more time passes and the more I think about what Apple is working on, the more I look forward to it. I think that Apple is really going to bring us the Star Trek computer experience in the next few years. It's going to be a unified operating system across multiple devices bringing a seamless computing experience.

I'm beginning to think that this isn't the iOSification of OS X but the unification of every Apple device.

How does this sound as the byline for the strategy that we will eventually see unfold as Apple's big picture strategy?... "A seamless computing experience across every device."

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
My biggest fear: Snow Leopard end of life announcement. I know it won't happen anytime soon. But I would bet that it will begin being marginalized very soon.

Count on it. Also count on having to upgrade OS and apps every 6 months or being made to feel like an out-of-touch neanderthal because you don't live every waking hour with your nose and thumbs stuck in an iOS device.

-out-of-touch neanderthal

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
This is great n all but those upgrades don't really feel like they're worth $30.

Messages is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to.

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
FYI Model Support Dropped!!!!!

For everyones information a number of early Core Due 2 models with integrated graphics i.e. Intel GMA X3100 or GMA 950 models will NOT be upgradeable to Mountain Lion when it is released. Developer builds seem to work around on some machines for me but I am assuming when released if your model has these graphics systems you will get the "Model Not Supported".......

edit : This also means perhaps when the public beta testing of Messages expires upon releasing OS X 10.8 if you have one of these machines you will cease having the feature.... FYI

Zelnaga

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010

Wheres this info come from? Sorry im not familiar with Airplay, but would get an Apple TV if it wasnt for this problem. What about ripped DVD from MPlayerX?

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011

I wasn't excited about Lion. I decided to keep using Snow Leopard on my Mac Mini. It works great. But wow, I haven't been this excited about a desktop operating system in a long time. Actually, I'm not sure if I've ever been this excited about a desktop operating system.

Game Center is great... because the Mac needs more and better games!
Sending messages from my desktop to an iPhone... awesome!
Notes... great! Now I can stop leaving text documents on my desktop!

Plus, I get the features that I don't have with Lion.

agentjomo

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
*Yawn*

Looks like I will be sticking with Snow Leopard for awhile.

yep... me too...slow fade for Apple - need to stay with Snow Leopard before it is all homogenized WYCIWYG locked down ipad crap focused for 8 year olds and granny. I am OG Apple fan boy professional getting pushed out. Windows 8? never thought i would say that!!!!

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
For everyones information a number of early Core Due 2 models with integrated graphics i.e. Intel GMA X3100 or GMA 950 models will NOT be upgradeable to Mountain Lion when it is released. Developer builds seem to work around on some machines for me but I am assuming when released if your model has these graphics systems you will get the "Model Not Supported".......

edit : This also means perhaps when the public beta testing of Messages expires upon releasing OS X 10.8 if you have one of these machines you will cease having the feature.... FYI

See here - http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/16/os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-system-requirements/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.