Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
devburke

Message.app separate message windows?

Can anyone tell me if Messages allows you to have your chats in separate windows, rather than one tabbed on? iChat gives that option, and I strongly prefer it. I'd find out myself, but since Messages replaces iChat, I don't know if you can go back after installing Messages.
devburke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

You can, right click on a name of someone your chatting with and select open in separate window
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
devburke

But by default, it will only open in the main window? That stinks. I hope they add an option by the time it's out of beta.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

They'll probably take feedback from Beta users
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #5
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

On a related note, how do you get your picture to show up next to the bubbles on your side of the conversation?
mrblack927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblack927 View Post
On a related note, how do you get your picture to show up next to the bubbles on your side of the conversation?
For me, it uses the picture I have for my account on the computer. Didn't change any settings.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
Can anyone tell me if Messages allows you to have your chats in separate windows, rather than one tabbed on? iChat gives that option, and I strongly prefer it. I'd find out myself, but since Messages replaces iChat, I don't know if you can go back after installing Messages.
Yes. Just double click on the conversation in the list, and it opens in its own window.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
For me, it uses the picture I have for my account on the computer. Didn't change any settings.
Weird. I have a picture set for my account. I even have my address card set for this account (which also has a picture of me, the same one), and I don't get any picture on my side of the conversation in Messages. Anyone else?
mrblack927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblack927 View Post
Weird. I have a picture set for my account. I even have my address card set for this account (which also has a picture of me, the same one), and I don't get any picture on my side of the conversation in Messages. Anyone else?
I just realized I have the same picture for my own entry in the Address Book app, maybe that's where it gets the pictures from?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:44 AM   #9
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by devburke View Post
But by default, it will only open in the main window? That stinks. I hope they add an option by the time it's out of beta.
I prefer it this way. My desktop used to be all cluttered up with different chat windows when I used microsoft messenger a few years ago. Maybe they can add an option for people to set it to open in a separate window by default or the way it is now. Options are always great
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
bogmai
macrumors newbie

You can also doubleclick the thread on the left to open in a new window.
bogmai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:43 AM   #11
devburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I prefer it this way. My desktop used to be all cluttered up with different chat windows when I used microsoft messenger a few years ago. Maybe they can add an option for people to set it to open in a separate window by default or the way it is now. Options are always great
Yeah, I know a lot of people preferred it when they added tabs to iChat, but I still preferred separate windows. I think having Exposť makes windows a lot easier to deal with than tabs anyway. That's one of the main reasons I can't switch to Chrome, it does all it can to force you into using tabs. But it was never an issue with iChat, I just turned off the option for tabbed windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmai View Post
You can also doubleclick the thread on the left to open in a new window.
I know, but it sucks to have to do that every time. Plus, I just discovered that when you close the main tabbed window, all your individual windows disappear too! What's the logic behind that one??

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion