Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NextMedia / Apple Daily claims to have received the following photos and information through "special channels". The photo below shows what is claimed to be an overview shot of the new iPad 3 back enclosure (top of image) as well as a comparison shot between the original iPad, the iPad 2 and the New iPad (inset). (via Apple.pro)

The shell should look familiar as it seems to be the same part we previously published. The lighting, however, is much better in this shot, and reveals the more subtle changes. There are notably no markings on the back of the case besides the Apple logo, itself.

The iPad 3 enclosure seems to have a more gradual taper to the edges than the iPad 2. The taper is seen better on the top overview photograph. As a result of this longer taper, the iPad 3's camera rests on the taper itself. We saw this before but due to the dark lighting of that image, the taper seemed more exaggerated.

The absolute positioning of the camera doesn't seem that far off from the iPad 2, but the lens does appear larger. According to NextMedia, the new iPad 3 camera will see a significant upgrade to 8 megapixels. The current iPad 2 back camera is 1 megapixel in resolution. The site also summarizes many of the other expectations for the iPad 3, such as an improved display, quad-core CPU, and a March 7th announcement date.

We've seen a rumor from the site only once before. They predicted new MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Air models back in April 5, 2010. The MacBook Pros (alone) did launch 8 days after that report, though some of the details (hard drive sizes) didn't match up to the report. Overall, the images here seem to match up to other parts that have been floating around China. Apple Daily is described, however, as a "tabloid-style" newspaper, but the Hong Kong edition is said to be quite popular as the second best selling publication.

Article Link: iPad 3 with More Tapered Edge and an 8 Megapixel Back Camera?

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
It would be good to take photos on an iPad that aren't quite so grainy.

That said, I did enjoy the flat sides on the iPad 1.

I'll speak for everyone here, shut up and take our money.

zombie.jpg

Last edited:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Can't be too far off now. Can't wait for the announcement to come so I can get to work and start taking calls from customers wanting to know when the iPad 4 is coming out... :confused:

EDIT

I really am interested in seeing what resolution the FRONT camera is. If they've managed to sneak in a HD camera like in the new MBPs and iMacs then this will be a great video conferencing machine - especially with a multi-user version of FaceTime.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Don't see how they can do a quad-core, retina display, bigger battery and an 8MP camera and still keep the price points the same. I'll believe it when I see it.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Announcement March 7th, available on the 16th? I also think that if there is an LTE version, it might come out a but later because the ideal baseband chip to use (Qualcomm MDM9615) will only have just started to roll out of factories this quarter and it will take time to stockpile them up.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Not too sure what why you need an 8MP camera on the back of a tablet for? When I had an iPad 2, my primary uses for a camera were for FaceTime. I'd imagine most others were in the same boat. So how about we up the front camera and downplay the rear one some?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Don't see how they can do a quad-core, retina display, bigger battery and an 8MP camera and still keep the price points the same. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm a little worried about the price point as well. It is the only thing that might stop me from buying one if the price is too high. But Apple hasn't really ever raised the price for its iOS devices.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Uhh Huh. Uhuh uhhh. Uhhhhhhhh. huhuh. :apple: I will spend all that I have to slave myself to these items. I must conquer my fears of being a non possessive apple guy. Uhh. huh.

wbham

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
Seems like Apple is going all out on this iPad.
Retina display,
8mp camera
Quad core
and LTE?
Either the price will increase or I don't think we'll see ALL these upgrades in 1 generation.
Time will tell though :)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Why would there be no writing below the Apple logo? Where is the iPad name and other info? Aren't they required by law to have the recycling info / symbols somewhere - where could they have hidden it? I like it this way (looks much cleaner), but still curious. They should employ this across the line for all iOS devices. I always thought the "writing" looked tacky right there on the back. At least the iPod nano manages to hide it behind the clip.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Awesome. Now all I need is a back camera on the new Macbook Air/Pro and iMac, front facing camera on mac-mini, front and back facing cameras on the new Mac Pro (iff).

Please please don't forget the camera on the bottom of the mac mini and the camera on the top of the iMac. Every one needs a camera on the top of their iMac. That way you can see when a meteor plunges through the roof as super sonic speeds.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Why would there be no writing below the Apple logo? Where is the iPad name and other info? Aren't they required by law to have the recycling info / symbols somewhere - where could they have hidden it? I like it this way (looks much cleaner), but still curious. They should employ this across the line for all iOS devices. I always thought the "writing" looked tacky right there on the back. At least the iPod nano manages to hide it behind the clip.

If it's a preproduction model, they probably just skipped the laser engraving on the back.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I assumed it depended on when it was taken off the assembly line. Or maybe a prototype.

arn

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I really am interested in seeing what resolution the FRONT camera is. If they've managed to sneak in a HD camera like in the new MBPs and iMacs then this will be a great video conferencing machine - especially with a multi-user version of FaceTime.

Me too. I use the iPad for FaceTime a couple times a week. The rear camera? I used it once in the last year just to see if it worked. I would rather they put more work into the front facing camera.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Am I the only one that thinks this is a blatant photoshop job?
Compare the radius on the left to that of the right, not to mention the light refractions

I call bullish*t and the iPad 3 to look almost exactly the same as its predecessor

I bet the iPad 3 is going to have retina display but no quad-core yet. Then they will release iPad 3S.

the iPad 3 is the iPad 2S, whatever it'll be called

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I assumed it depended on when it was taken off the assembly line. Or maybe a prototype.

arn

True. I've always had an obsession over that. Not sure why. Would love to see simply the Apple logo, with "iPad" beneath perhaps. :eek:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is looking more and more like a solid upgrade. These rumors are motivating me to get in shape. I told my wife a month ago that she can't let me get an iPad 3 until I get back to 180lbs. The more I see these rumors, the more I'm reminded to hit the gym. It's been working out really well so far. But I think I might have to wait until April or May. I'm hoping that playing with the final product will motivate me even more. It's going to be hard to put down that beautiful retina display. I can't wait. Going to the gym now…crap it's 11:30pm. Oh late night weekend rumors!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.