Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Is there any data/evidence to suggest Steve Jobs had any involvement with Mountain Lion? I wonder if there will ever be a disclosure as to what was the last product that had his input in the final shipping version?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
No telling, but we who follow such things so closely will tell you Jobs was likely...no, certainly working on OS 11.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm sure he was. and likely at least the next release as well. knowing how proactive he was about these things i could see him even having a general outline of how iOS and OS X should come together and when etc.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
-.-

Yes, quite. Just as Karl Benz realized the steam-powered go-rolly wagon and Edison put together the first flameless torch of sorcery.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
You ever see that episode of Fringe where they read the brain of a dead guy to communicate with him? Yeah.

Too soon?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
You ever see that episode of Fringe where they read the brain of a dead guy to communicate with him? Yeah.

Too soon?

Nope.

OP - If he didn't have any involvement with ML, would you be less likely to buy it or more open to criticizing it? :p

niuniu

macrumors 68020
You'll find Jobs' influence easily in the next 5 to 10 years or even more. The challenge for Apple is in the longer term when current projects are either sidelined, scrapped or fulfilled. We need to see how they come up with completely new products and markets to penetrate completely void of Jobs' presence.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
No telling, but we who follow such things so closely will tell you Jobs was likely...no, certainly working on OS 11.

This.

With OS11 likely to be a significant update, it's not too far-fetched to believe Jobs had a hand in envisioning what it would be. This would be a task typical of a CEO and certainly someone of Jobs pedigree.

He probably helped with the roadmap for 10.x updates, but didn't oversee the day-to-day development.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Is there any data/evidence to suggest Steve Jobs had any involvement with Mountain Lion? I wonder if there will ever be a disclosure as to what was the last product that had his input in the final shipping version?

Of course he was. ML wasn't just dreamed up over the last 4-5 months.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Products, like operating systems have a long life cycle before the light of day. This version of OSX has been on planning board for quite some time.

I think Steve had a lot of input of what ML was projected to be, perhaps some of the later details had no Steve input but the overall roadmap had his involvement I believe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.