Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Can we quote you on this in a year's time?

Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...

The ML will be cheap (I guess it won't be more expensive than Lion, which was 22 quid here in the UK) so I'll be definitely tempted, but let us see what else the Apple team will come up with, so far I'm most impressed with the unified address bar and search bar in Safari (which I'm pretty sure will be available to all, without the need to upgrade) and Messages (which won't be available to Lion users, however it's not worth 22 pounds).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The feature list is somewhat lacking right now. For what's mentioned currently, I'm not sure it's a $30 upgrade.

We'll have to see what additional features get announced and what under the hood improvements there are.

For some people the push to upgrade to Lion and eventually Mountain Lion will be as software they use change to require those versions of OS X.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.

Okay then. Don't upgrade.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Siri is a worthless gimmick anyhow. Call me when it becomes actually efficient to use, rather than just doing it the manual way on the touch screen.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...

Some people wait for a release to become more stable before upgrading.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
How about we get Siri working reliably on my phone before we try and add it to the computers? I swear it's a 50/50 shot whether or not I get the "try again later" message.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
How about we get Siri working reliably on my phone before we try and add it to the computers?
It’s going to take a lot of work to get it working on computers too - people have been envisioning voice dictation with a computer for years. It never has worked too well.

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Context: I know that when it came to the 10.7 we sort of knew all of the coming features from the get go and that was that.

Question: In anyone's opinion, is 10.8 seeming to follow the same trend?

Either way, I'm of the opinion that it's only thirty dollars for an improvement/polish of lion.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Context: I know that when it came to the 10.7 we sort of knew all of the coming features from the get go and that was that.

Did we really ?

Don't mistake that list of "features" on Apple's site as a definitive list of everything there is. I bet there's a few features in Lion you still don't know about, 6 months later. ;)

LiesForTheLiars

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
Did we really ?

Don't mistake that list of "features" on Apple's site as a definitive list of everything there is. I bet there's a few features in Lion you still don't know about, 6 months later. ;)

I usually happen across new features by accident when I'm working.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Siri is a worthless gimmick anyhow. Call me when it becomes actually efficient to use, rather than just doing it the manual way on the touch screen.

What's your number? I want to inform you about how efficient Siri is in situations when using a touch screen would be impractical (or dangerous) but talking to your phone isn't (like when driving, for example).

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Siri isn't too great. I wouldn't use it if it was included in a OS X release. It seems to me like most people who bought a 4S got it for Siri, and they rarely use it. It's a cool toy, but it is no tool for working. It wouldn't increase workflow, and it's not even accurate most of the time. I don't see the big deal in typing your own sentences and working yourself....

No need for this voice control crap.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What's your number? I want to inform you about how efficient Siri is in situations when using a touch screen would be impractical (or dangerous) but talking to your phone isn't (like when driving, for example).

I think you should concentrate on driving instead of trying to dictate text messages or setting reminders, no matter the input mode you're using.

And frankly, the last thing I want to do is repeat myself 50 times when driving and trying to concentrate on the road.

"Siri, remind me to buy bread when we're near IGA"
"Sorry, I don't understand"
"Remind me to... BUY BREAD.. NEAR IGA".
"Sorry, I'm having difficulties right now".
"Scratch that"
"I don't understand"
"Nevermind"
"I don't understand, sorry"
"CANCEL"
"OK".

Geez.

----------

It seems to me like most people who bought a 4S got it for Siri,

I bought a 4S for the A5 and SGX543MP2.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Okay.

tumblr_lqibx63vxi1qhq1pjo1_500.gif

Siri is highly unlikely to debut in ML...its not even out of beta on iOS.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Now, i don't see it as being a deal breaker if there is no siri, but i reckon it is ideal for those background things that distract you from your work.

eg:

Copying files - you get to a file it needs to know whether to over-write. The mac doesn't pop the window up, just says "do you want me to over-write xxx file?" and you answer "yes" or "no".

Need to spell/grammar check something? Ask siri.

Need to be reminded to come back to something? Tell siri. Eg "remind me to come back to this document tomorrow" or "remind me that I need to send this off by 4pm today!"

I reckon there's far more benefit to siri on the mac, than on the iphone, because the mac is a multi-tasking device with a lot more going on.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Copying files - you get to a file it needs to know whether to over-write. The mac doesn't pop the window up, just says "do you want me to over-write xxx file?" and you answer "yes" or "no".

Need to spell/grammar check something? Ask siri.

Need to be reminded to come back to something? Tell siri. Eg "remind me to come back to this document tomorrow" or "remind me that I need to send this off by 4pm today!"

Great idea, I suspect it's not ready for 10.8 but will come after that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.