Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Adobe prematurely launched its new Photoshop Touch app for the iPad 2, quickly pulling it amid claims that the official launch was scheduled for Monday, February 27.

mzl.jdgoiafl.480x480-75.jpg

The app has now returned to the App Store [direct link], where it is available for $9.99. As previously noted, the app is currently compatible only with the iPad 2 running iOS 5.
Transform images with core Adobe Photoshop features in an app designed for tablets.

Combine images, apply professional effects, share results with friends and family through sites like Facebook, and more - all from the convenience of your iPad.
Adobe Photoshop Touch is the flagship app from a group of six tablet apps that Adobe announced last October. The company has been taking steps onto the iPad and other tablets with a series of applications, although they have obviously yet to match the capabilities of the desktop versions of the Adobe's key software products.

Adobe's initial goal for the iPad was to explore how the device might be used as an auxiliary input for the desktop version, but the company has broadened its scope to now include at least some of the dedicated image editing features from Photoshop in its latest apps.

Update: MacStories has a nice early review of the app.

Article Link: Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad 2 Now Officially Available

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wish it wasn't with AIR :(

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Any proof apart from it just appearing again on the App Store that it was finally officially released on Sunday? When it was supposed to be originally Monday?

(Sunday in the US. I'm sure they wanted a Monday US release)

Teo Morabito

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Bali
But, will it work on iPad 3 ?
It's gonna be great with a retina display..
I hope it's as powerful as the desktop app but compared to the price it doesn't look like it is...

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Disappointed that it won't work on my original iPad, but I guess technology moves faster now that ever before. Probably time to start thinking about upgrading to an iPad 3 when those are released.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Because all us designers wear trilby hats with feathers in them.

BTW, I would have eaten mine if anyone had bet me Adobe would one day release a version of Photoshop for less than 10 bucks.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I see a rubber-stamp icon! Count me in!

Because all us designers wear trilby hats with feathers in them.

BTW, I would have eaten mine if anyone had bet me Adobe would one day release a version of Photoshop for less than 10 bucks.

Mmmmm... I could go for a fresh trilby.

Note: if Photoshop Express counts, that’s been a free app for ages :)

I’ll also put in a good word for Adobe Ideas (for iPad/iPhone): it has painting/sketching that is vector-based, making your work infinitely zoomable—and you can email yourself an equally high-quality vector PDF! It’s a great sketchpad if you might want to print or share later, or import into desktop apps (if they can open a PDF, it looks great). I use it to make abstract iPad wallpapers.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Adobe sells their Creative Suite packager for delivering Flash apps to multiple mobile devices. But when Adobe makes their own software for multiple mobile devices, they avoid Flash entirely.

I wonder when someone in the media will ask Adobe about that. :eek:

buddda

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Just bought the app but im already having issues. I can access my events synced from my iphoto library but when i click albums nothing happens. Its a bit frustrating as its nigh on impossible for me to find specific images seeing as i dont remember the date i imported the photo im looking to mess with! :rolleyes:

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
No thanks to watered down apps. I'll wait for a tablet with the power of a full desktop OS. That would be Windows 8. That's when Photoshop on a tablet will really be worth it.
No iPad 1 compatibility? I thought fragmentation was supposed to be Android's Achilles heel? :rolleyes:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
No thanks to watered down apps. I'll wait for a tablet with a full desktop OS. That would be Windows 8. That's when Photoshop on a tablet will be worth it.
No iPad 1 compatibility? I thought fragmentation was supposed to be Android's Achilles heel?

You can already buy a Windows tablet and run Photoshop on it. If you mean an ARM-based Windows tablet, well then just realize that they won't run any x86 applications. And there is no guarantee Adobe will port the full version of Photoshop; Considering that ARM-based Windows tablets will be targeted towards the same market as the iPad, it may in fact only get this version.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
No multi language support at Adobe

Thats poor.... no language support :eek:. Even english language isn´t a real problem for me, native german would be OK for me too. Adobe can´t effort translation costs? Is Adobe a big international company? I am afraid it is :)

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Can't really see the point of this. A finger just isn't an accurate enough tool to be able to do anything worthwhile. This is one of those apps where the iPad not having stylus support bites it in the ass.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
No thanks to watered down apps. I'll wait for a tablet with the power of a full desktop OS. That would be Windows 8. That's when Photoshop on a tablet will really be worth it.
No iPad 1 compatibility? I thought fragmentation was supposed to be Android's Achilles heel? :rolleyes:

Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad 2 - $9.99

Adobe Photoshop desktop version for Windows 8 tablet - $699.99

hmm, I'll take the one for $9.99

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

A developer choosing to limit an app to second generation hardware is not fragmentation. Do you complain when all the new Xbox 360 games don't run on the original Xbox?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
A developer choosing to limit an app to second generation hardware is not fragmentation. Do you complain when all the new Xbox 360 games don't run on the original Xbox?

While I don't mind too much that this is iPad 2 only, that comparison is a bit flawed. The Xbox was on the market for four years before being succeeded. By this time it was thoroughly obsolete. The iPad 1 was succeeded after only one year. That's a huge difference.

PS. If console makers did release new systems each year, with games that would only work on the newer system, there would most certainly be an uproar.

Last edited:

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Nice price..but bits like "Maximum image resolution: 1600 x 1600 pixels" puts me off a little bit..

Probably due to memory.

As for running "the whole photoshop" on a windows tablet: Just cross your fingers that the windows tablet will arrive with at least 8GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.