Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
But, will it work on iPad 3 ?
It's gonna be great with a retina display..
I hope it's as powerful as the desktop app but compared to the price it doesn't look like it is...

Duh, duh, and duh!

----------

Can't really see the point of this. A finger just isn't an accurate enough tool to be able to do anything worthwhile. This is one of those apps where the iPad not having stylus support bites it in the ass.

Jot-Pro Stylus by Adonit doesn't work on iPad?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Mabaker,

Actually it does work as long as you don't try to import a picture using the camera because if you do, the app will crash. Works good otherwise.

How did you buy it then? It won't let me even buy it from the store. Or did you buy it via Mac and then synched it?

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Maybe because a feature is to edit pictures you've taken with the camera and they didn't bother to make a version without that feature for iPad 1 ? How about you throw them an e-mail and ask them why ?
I call BS. Snapseed runs on the first generation iPad (6.25 megapixels rather than 16 on the iPad 2), so Photoshop is most probably kept off for hardware/capability reasons (again, the Snapseed example might show you a relative example). The fact PS is limited to 2.5 megapixels on the iPad 2 already suggests anything above would be near a usability threshold.

Unless the limit is being kept low for some artificial reason, then it's very likely the first generation iPad is incapable of even 1.5 megapixels (whether that be fault of the hardware or inefficiency of coding). Using the camera as a block is a way of keeping it off the first generation iPad, not the reason.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I call BS. Snapseed runs on the first generation iPad (6.25 megapixels rather than 16 on the iPad 2), so Photoshop is most probably kept off for hardware/capability reasons

Yes, again, lack of a camera. Some people... geez

I find it also funny that a ton of non-programmers are somehow "bad code, good code" experts. :rolleyes:

Occam's Razor people, Occam's Razor.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Yes, again, lack of a camera. Some people... geez

I find it also funny that a ton of non-programmers are somehow "bad code, good code" experts. :rolleyes:

Occam's Razor people, Occam's Razor.
But what has the lack of a camera got to do with the price of bread? That's precisely the reason I was using Snapseed as an example. You can take photos in the app, but on the first generation obviously not. The fact the first generation doesn't have a camera is not an immediate bar; all the editing functions are still available.

My point is that you're being sucked into this "it's the lack of camera" nonsense, when if that's the "reason" then it's merely an artificial restriction based on the (for whatever reason) inability of the iPad to run the app satisfactorily.

Edit: To further clarify, if 2.5 megapixels is at the upper end of what the iPad 2 hardware can handle, then by comparison with other apps (again, the 16 vs 6.5 from Snapseed example) it's fair to suggest the iPad couldn't handle that same resolution. If it can't handle that resolution, which I assume Adobe are taking as the bare minimum acceptable, they don't want it on the iPad. But instead of badmouthing either their code or Apple's hardware, they're creating an artificial scapegoat viz. lack of camera. Congratulations for buying into it, KnightWRX.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But what has the lack of a camera got to do with the price of bread?

Why are you going back to the 2.5 megapixel thing ? What does that have to do with the price of bread ?

The iPad 1 doesn't have a camera. Photoshop Touch has this feature that uses a camera. Occam's Razor.

Don't try to get into a convulted line of thinking that they implemented this camera feature to shut out iPad 1 because of other underlying hardware/coding issues, that's searching for things that just aren't there.

Simple. Camera. Lack thereof.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Can't really see the point of this. A finger just isn't an accurate enough tool to be able to do anything worthwhile. This is one of those apps where the iPad not having stylus support bites it in the ass.

I agree on the finger thing, your hands obscure your view on a tab making it very difficult to edit. Not to mention your fingertips are too chunky.

So I bought a capacitive pen for this and the other Adobe touch apps on my droid tab, which works great. Get one with a really narrow tip though, the selection tools and freehand stuff really benefit from this.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Why are you going back to the 2.5 megapixel thing ? What does that have to do with the price of bread ?

The iPad 1 doesn't have a camera. Photoshop Touch has this feature that uses a camera. Occam's Razor.

Don't try to get into a convulted line of thinking that they implemented this camera feature to shut out iPad 1 because of other underlying hardware/coding issues, that's searching for things that just aren't there.

Simple. Camera. Lack thereof.
Lots of apps have a feature using a camera and still run on the first generation iPad. I wasn't trying to compare apples with oranges when I mentioned Snapseed.

It's by no means a convoluted line of thinking. I don't swallow rubbish from Adobe, Apple, or any other company who try sleight of hand. Plenty of other developers have photo/image editing apps with a camera feature, but this feature does not bar the app from being used on the first generation iPad. If a 2.5 megapixel canvas is at the top end of the iPad 2's capability, it's not unfair to suggest the original iPad would struggle. The camera issue appears to be a completely artificial construct which you are buying into.

Edit: Looking inside Adobe's own stable, Adobe Ideas has a camera feature. Does this stop the app from being used on the original iPad?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Lots of apps have a feature using a camera and still run on the first generation iPad. I wasn't trying to compare apples with oranges when I mentioned Snapseed.

It's by no means a convoluted line of thinking. I don't swallow rubbish from Adobe, Apple, or any other company who try sleight of hand. Plenty of other developers have photo/image editing apps with a camera feature, but this feature does not bar the app from being used on the first generation iPad. If a 2.5 megapixel canvas is at the top end of the iPad 2's capability, it's not unfair to suggest the original iPad would struggle. The camera issue appears to be a completely artificial construct which you are buying into.

Edit: Looking inside Adobe's own stable, Adobe Ideas has a camera feature. Does this stop the app from being used on the original iPad?

Completely agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.