Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I actually enjoy waiting in a line for a new Apple product. Its a great time..Especially if you're around a good group of people and the weather is decent. I'd prefer to stand in line then simply order online. I pre-ordered my 4S online and that was my first time not waiting in line since 07. I found that waiting for the UPS guy was a rather boring alternative to waiting in line at an Apple store.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This goes hand-in-hand with the continued iPad2 rumor.

Sales are sales. It would make sense for Apple to have iPad2s at reduced price alongside the rare iPad3. You know everyone buying an iPad2 wants an iPad3, even if they won't admit it. Best to get people hooking into the apps and music and movies and services and make cash while production ramps up.

The good thing is that once they figure out the retina screen production, that will never be an issue again. I doubt the screens are going to change their density ever again.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Well, if you are Samsung and LG and Apple has used their clout to get the best price from you and they are your main competitor, maybe throttling production is intentional. If you can't beat Apple on the product, limiting their stock, even more so than usually, might be calculated to give you some breathing room. Line ups have been good for generating hype, but imagine how much more Samsung is going to play up their "line ups are for lemming" message when they are able to increase the line ups to even more unreasonable levels.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Digitimes has been reporting really stupid rumors recently.

The good news is I am getting up 10 hours before lauch to be one of the first people in line, so as long as I get one, I don't really care :)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Maybe they'll limit them one per customer. I remember watching the same bloke on YouTube unbox a white iPad 2 and a black iPad 2, just for the sake of having them both unboxed. He didn't need two.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Marketing and Hype that has always worked in the past for Apple and will continue to do so.

Reality is - they will be holding back inventory to create greater demand. Nothing new here.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Reality is - they will be holding back inventory to create greater demand. Nothing new here.

This is the typical line for anti-apple fanboys.

Somehow, even when Apple 'holds back inventory', they have record first day sales? How can this be? Less product, more sales? Seriously?

Accept the fact that despite what you want to hear, people really want the Apple products over other products.

The actual truth is, Apple is holding back inventory RIGHT NOW, so that they can have lots of iPads available for launch day. They could probably sell some TODAY, and only have like 10 per store. But they're not. Apple is holding off until they think they have enough to sell, so the shortages won't be as crazy. These iPads can't be created instantly.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Marketing and Hype that has always worked in the past for Apple and will continue to do so.

I always laugh when I hear this. That would be such an amateur marketing ploy and would risk losing sales. Would the advantages of the hype outweigh the very real risk of customer opting for another device or walking away altogether? What good is massive demand if you let your stock sit on a shelf in a warehouse?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

People can vote this guy down all they want to, but the fact that this has happened on EVERY iOS device release since the original iPhone is pretty damning. There is nothing wrong with what Apple does here.....they get a ton of free press and create an even greater demand for their product along the way.

But let's not act like the significant shortage of 5 different iPhones and now 3 different iPads at launch is not a coincidence. Apple is one of the largest companies in the world. Either they are completely inept at getting their act together on the supply side or they are trying to ratchet up demand and build a frenzy.

I have a hard time believing the former is true.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It's ok. I'm prepared to stand in line for hours.

I guess I'll have to wait in line early for this one then. It took me 3 months to get the iPad2 last year.

Looks like i'm calling out of work...erhmmm... sick.... to wait in line.

I actually enjoy waiting in a line for a new Apple product. Its a great time..Especially if you're around a good group of people and the weather is decent. I'd prefer to stand in line then simply order online. I pre-ordered my 4S online and that was my first time not waiting in line since 07. I found that waiting for the UPS guy was a rather boring alternative to waiting in line at an Apple store.

Your time must not be worth very much....

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I always laugh when I hear this. That would be such an amateur marketing ploy and would risk losing sales. Would the advantages of the hype outweigh the very real risk of customer opting for another device or walking away altogether? What good is massive demand if you let your stock sit on a shelf in a warehouse?

If you are apple you know it doesn't affect you at all currently. There are no real tablet competitors currently.. and both the iPad and iPhone have a great cult like following.

Its doesn't hurt apple one bit to hold back inventory, because they know they will sell as fast as they put them on shelf's, whenever they put them there.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
but the fact that this has happened on EVERY iOS device release since the original iPhone is pretty damning.

No - it's unprecedented DEMAND since the original iPhone that Apple never anticipated.

Before the launch of the original iPhone, everyone was saying that the original iPhone would flop, and that Apple produced too many of them. Same thing all the way up to the iPhone 4S.

If you're such a genius, tell me how many iPad 3s will be sold, and what the exact number Apple should make. They can't make too many or they lose money. If they make too few, they have lost sales. Apple needs to hope that the number they make is around the demand number. This is a huge deal.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is the typical line for anti-apple fanboys.

Somehow, even when Apple 'holds back inventory', they have record first day sales? How can this be? Less product, more sales? Seriously?

Accept the fact that despite what you want to hear, people really want the Apple products over other products.

The actual truth is, Apple is holding back inventory RIGHT NOW, so that they can have lots of iPads available for launch day. They could probably sell some TODAY, and only have like 10 per store. But they're not. Apple is holding off until they think they have enough to sell, so the shortages won't be as crazy. These iPads can't be created instantly.

It's ok. Stay naive to how marketing and sales work. You might think you know - but you don't. Having worked in the industry and in Marketing/PR for over 20 years - I might just have some expertise in this area.

P.S. I'm not a "fanboy" or "hater" of any technology. I don't have emotional attachments like that to devices. To people in my life, sure. But computers and gadgets? I just enjoy using whatever is best for the job I need to do. But you're free to be as passionate as you want about an inanimate object as you wish.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
The Apple site is going to crash for pre-ordering. Just like with the iPhone 4. Here we go again...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
So, what DigiTimes is saying is that, initially it will be hard to get an iPad?

Good work DigiTimes...

DigiTimes needs likes to predict sure things. Every Apple launch during the past several years has been in short supply. It's simply not possible to ramp up fast enough to satisfy demand for any of their inovative products.

I predict a 6 to 8 week wait if you don't get your order placed within 2 hours of availability in the Apple Store. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Apples on-line store crashes on the 7th.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
3 Things are guaranteed with this launch:

1. it will be out of stock on the first day-
2. people will be bitching about scalpers/and line cutting
3. people will have yellow screens, or some other major problem thread on the new retina screen.

The will not be able to produce enough, as usual. I think I am ordering online hour 1.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Well, if you are Samsung and LG and Apple has used their clout to get the best price from you and they are your main competitor, maybe throttling production is intentional. If you can't beat Apple on the product, limiting their stock, even more so than usually, might be calculated to give you some breathing room. Line ups have been good for generating hype, but imagine how much more Samsung is going to play up their "line ups are for lemming" message when they are able to increase the line ups to even more unreasonable levels.

The couldn't do that as it would be a breach of contract, not to mention - as has been stated 100's of times here - Samsung components is almost a different company to Samsung Mobile.

This is just another planned hype up from Apple. They know the rough launch date almost a year in advance yet still things are constrained? Horsehockey. This is planned.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
If you are apple you know it doesn't affect you at all currently. There are no real tablet competitors currently.. and both the iPad and iPhone have a great cult like following.

Its doesn't hurt apple one bit to hold back inventory, because they know they will sell as fast as they put them on shelf's, whenever they put them there.
Faulty reasoning. Apple has a very simply goal: sell as many units as possible as quickly as possible. Throttling sales artificially goes against this. Maybe if they were having difficulty selling product then it might make sense for a company to go with such an weak, amateur ploy. But Apple has been very successful and this would only slow sales.

People can vote this guy down all they want to, but the fact that this has happened on EVERY iOS device release since the original iPhone is pretty damning. There is nothing wrong with what Apple does here.....they get a ton of free press and create an even greater demand for their product along the way.

But let's not act like the significant shortage of 5 different iPhones and now 3 different iPads at launch is not a coincidence. Apple is one of the largest companies in the world. Either they are completely inept at getting their act together on the supply side or they are trying to ratchet up demand and build a frenzy.

I have a hard time believing the former is true.
Yeah, because Apple needs to create fake hype. No, the media love to cover Apple, good or bad.

Being the largest company in the world doesn't mean they can magically make new factories go up over night. They can, and have often, invested in their supplies in order to have them increase capacity. Apple learned, a long time ago, that over producing and stuffing the channel is a foolish business model and it almost killed them in the 90s. They now try to find a balance of high production without over production, as any successful business does.

Apple didn't become the biggest, most successful, most profitable company by resorting to tired, weak, short sighted marketing ploys like artificially lineups. What's next, wet t-shirt night at hooters, sponsored by Apple to generate hype? People really buy this crap?

----------

It's ok. Stay naive to how marketing and sales work. You might think you know - but you don't. Having worked in the industry and in Marketing/PR for over 20 years - I might just have some expertise in this area.
You might indeed have some expertise. If your strategies depended on such low brow marketing techniques I'd love to see the numbers on your campaigns and how successful they were.

You'd think that such a simple marketing technique would be employed by Samsung and the rest if it is so successful for Apple. Sort of useless if the demand isn't already there.

FanDroid

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Having worked in the industry and in Marketing/PR for over 20 years - I might just have some expertise in this area.

I'm sorry, but i've just burst out laughing reading that.

There's no such thing as holding back inventory on the release days. If you're such a PR genius, you should already know that super massive sales number on the launch week gonna give them advantage on a very large scale, and that extends to Apple's stocks performance. You see, that's the very reason Apple got free press on papers all these years.

And nope, I do not have personal attachments on Apple devices. In fact, I'm using an Android phone right now. It's just that your reasoning is pretty silly. I'd bet you'll gonna be out of business really soon if that's your kind of PR and marketing strategy :cool:

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
The couldn't do that as it would be a breach of contract, not to mention - as has been stated 100's of times here - Samsung components is almost a different company to Samsung Mobile.
It could be a breach. Sammy doesn't seem all that concerned about being sued these days. 'Almost' a different company isn't the same as being a different company.

This is just another planned hype up from Apple. They know the rough launch date almost a year in advance yet still things are constrained? Horsehockey. This is planned.
Benefit being? They want to generate bad will with as many customers as possible?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
As long as I order within the first few minutes of the iPad 3 hitting online, should I be safe? I remember I didn't have any problems ordering the iPhone 4S and iPhones are an even hotter product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.