Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Right back at you :)
Of course. My facts are facts. Yours are non-existent and require one to avoid critical thought (or any real thought). I've explained and reason why it doesn't work. You simply say it must be so.

But stick with your unsubstantiated fantasies. They'll make you feel much better.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Of course. My facts are facts. Yours are non-existent and require one to avoid critical thought (or any real thought). I've explained and reason why it doesn't work. You simply say it must be so.

But stick with your unsubstantiated fantasies. They'll make you feel much better.

Again - right back at you. You choose to believe what you want, and I'll choose to believe what I want. Have a great weekend.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So they know that they don't have enough to go around, that was my point. Being sold out on day one is very lame, IMHO.

Being sold out because you only have 5000 is lame. Being sold out because you went through 5 Million or even 50 Million in one day is astonishing.

No matter how many Apple makes they are still likely to sell out of some or all models within a few days. It is just the nature of the beast. There's little they can do other than perhaps make folks preorder them before production even starts to know exactly how many to make

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Being sold out because you only have 5000 is lame. Being sold out because you went through 5 Million or even 50 Million in one day is astonishing.

No matter how many Apple makes they are still likely to sell out of some or all models within a few days. It is just the nature of the beast. There's little they can do other than perhaps make folks preorder them before production even starts to know exactly how many to make

So if they know they are going to sell out on launch day why don't they delay it until they have a better inventory? And not launch a week later in another country? Or add additional merchants to sell them? All of this was done with the iPad 2 and they didn't have stock in their own stores. I don't see it as accidental.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So if they know they are going to sell out on launch day why don't they delay it until they have a better inventory? .

They have no way of knowing that number. They only way they could is if they don't sell in stores at all but rather make you order online and then they build it and ship it to you.

Now you will say they should have some idea and just triple that to be safe. Trouble there is that they can't trust folks not to leak parts. You really think they believe no one would get greedy about selling the location of the warehouses where the stockpile goes. They can't take that risk. And they don't have stores big enough to store them there (plus the same security issues).

In the end, having to perhaps wait a little longer for your iPad cause of high demand is a first world problem. Whether Apple doesn't put in a fancier screen because the suppliers can fill he orders etc, the wait will still happen. Prepare yourself and when you are all depressed cause it's been a month and you are still stuck with your iPad 2, go volunteer at a Battered Women's Shelter. Seeing how they are scarred for life etc will give you a sense of perspective

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They have no way of knowing that number. They only way they could is if they don't sell in stores at all but rather make you order online and then they build it and ship it to you.

Now you will say they should have some idea and just triple that to be safe. Trouble there is that they can't trust folks not to leak parts. You really think they believe no one would get greedy about selling the location of the warehouses where the stockpile goes. They can't take that risk. And they don't have stores big enough to store them there (plus the same security issues).

In the end, having to perhaps wait a little longer for your iPad cause of high demand is a first world problem. Whether Apple doesn't put in a fancier screen because the suppliers can fill he orders etc, the wait will still happen. Prepare yourself and when you are all depressed cause it's been a month and you are still stuck with your iPad 2, go volunteer at a Battered Women's Shelter. Seeing how they are scarred for life etc will give you a sense of perspective

I don't need a sense of perspective. I live in the real world. So you think that they can safely store 5 million iPhones or iPads but any more than that there will be leaks? I'm not depressed at all. I entered this thread by saying that I believe these shortages are intentional and it's all part of the hype machine. It's a rather to have this happen year after year by the greatest company on earth.

mattwain

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Shipping estimates for the iPad 2 quickly ballooned to 4-5 weeks just as the device launched, taking over four months to become free available for immediate shipping.

I don't need a sense of perspective. I live in the real world. So you think that they can safely store 5 million iPhones or iPads but any more than that there will be leaks? I'm not depressed at all. I entered this thread by saying that I believe these shortages are intentional and it's all part of the hype machine. It's a rather to have this happen year after year by the greatest company on earth.

A big part of shortages were to blame because of the earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan on March 11th 2011! Parts were scarce for many electronics manufactures around the world. It's funny how quickly we forget. Don't give Apple too much credit for the waiting period of 2-4 weeks since a good share of their inventory issues were a result of the disaster!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.