Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_box.jpg
While rumors of iPad 3 shipments already being en route having been circulating for some time now, we're now hearing from shipping representatives at other companies who are having a difficult time even getting their products shipped over to the United States from China as Apple's preparations for the iPad 3 launch have significantly squeezed the air freight industry.

One shipping representative told MacRumors last week that his freight broker in China has been scrambling to find space for his company's shipments, with shipping rates rising 20% in one week as Apple has snapped up available capacity at premium rates. Another shipping manager told us a similar story today, with his company being unable to find space with its usual carrier due to Apple's demand and having to scramble to find alternatives for moving products overseas.

We've been hearing for almost two weeks now that Apple has been moving iPad 3 units into the United States, staging them through its shipping carrier's hub facilities under very high security. We can specifically say that at least one of the iPad 3 part numbers has been seen making its way into the United States. A second part number, MC744LL/A, which has so far not been linked to any specific product, has also been spotted.

It certainly appears that Apple is planning for the iPad 3 to be available very soon after its introduction on Wednesday. Consequently, the company has clearly been working hard to move massive quantities of the device into position for rapid deployment to stores around the United States and presumably a number of other countries included in the first round of launches.

Update: AppleInsider is now reporting similar information specifically related to freight going through DHL, one of the major international carriers sometimes used by Apple.

Article Link: Apple's iPad 3 Launch Putting Squeeze on Freight Shipments from China

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Wow. They must be packing it into those planes. Just put a few up front in the cockpit and let the autopilot fly. Ever seen hoarders in their cars? Do it so.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It would be awesome - although unlikely - if Apple released it the same week that it was announced.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Think about this.

One company, just one, is putting a strain on shipping space from just one of their products. That is insane.

I don't people realize how flipping popular the iPad is.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Awesome, I just hope they don't just announce that they are available later that day on the 7th, that would be a mess, but I'm sure there will be some people already in line :) March 9th would be a better release date.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Any chance it will launch simultaneously over the pond? Don't make us UK folk wait until the 23rd Tim. :)

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Sold my v2 32G wifi only so I'll have to do without from tomorrow 'til... ?
Withdrawl, here we come.

FWIW, I placed on eBay for $350 starting bid, with a 'buy it now' of $450, and it sold for $495. Wow.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
My memory is hazy. With the iPad 2, did Apple not start taking online pre-orders for awhile after the lunch, to fill Apple Retail Store orders first? Anybody remember for how long?

I'm a single dad of two, so there's no way for me to wait in line. But I'll be ordering one on the Apple store online as soon as possible.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i really hope europe will not be much later then america.
I guess the launch will be on the 23th, but i really think 7 days before will not have a problem for anyone (unless the guys who will not be in line in time)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Forget the design and programming. THIS is Tim Cook's playtime.

I like to think he's been wearing little aviator goggles while yelling out orders all month long.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
FWIW, I placed on eBay for $350 starting bid, with a 'buy it now' of $450, and it sold for $495. Wow.

Wow, I guess they really do hold their value. Smart move, if Apple continues to sell the iPad 2 but at a lower price, you did good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.