Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Following on from last year....

Well here we are again at the start of a new gaming year that looks to be very interesting. The Vita's about to be released in the West, and the WiiU is coming later in the year. So, what games and hardware are you looking forward to purchasing in 2012?

So far my list consists of:

Gunlord - Dreamcast (March)
Sturmwind - Dreamcast (March)
Under Defeat HD - PS3 (23 Feb)
BlazBlue Continuum Shift: Extend - PS3 (22 Feb)
Akai Katana Shin [European Release] - Xbox 360 (No set release date yet)
Raiden Fighters - Xbox 360 (This might actually come out this year. Maybe)

I'm not going to be getting a Vita, and I'm as yet undecided on the WiiU. There is one new bit of hardware that I'd like though; the new Neo Geo Portable.

:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ Looks like an iPhone 4 went through Photoshop.

So far I've bought-

New Super Mario Wii - can't believe I waited this long, it's brilliant in multiplayer
PSP 3000 - replacing my 2000 which I've modded for emulation

+few iOS and Steam games

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In the short term... Played the demos for Darkness 2 and Asura's Wrath. Both were enjoyable so will be picking them up next month, and I'll be getting a Vita.

Controversially
Prob wont get in 2012 : WiiU. Nintendo are losing me, I no longer find them innovating enough, more irritating that innovating, and the last few big Nintendo games were a slog for me (skyward sword and twilight princess both dissapointment me)... 3DS hasn't entertained me as much as the dsi did, and I find 3D pointless most of the time and gyroscope is pointless with 3D. For all those reasons I don't see WiiU with its fisher price tablet winning me over. It's main innovation (game on big screen, or small screen can actually be done maybe with not as much finesse on an iOS device and appleTV) so it doesn't make me go wow that's innovative at all. Oh and for most part hated wii controls and lack of left handed support fr an entire generation... So totally uninterested and will be first Nintendo console I won't ave bought.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hardware:
PlayStation Vita (WiFi)
iPhone 5

Games:
FIFA 13 (PS3)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
FIFA Football (Vita)
Unit 13 (Vita)
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Vita)
LittleBigPlanet Vita (Vita)
Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified (Vita)
Everybody's Golf (Vita)
Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Won't be getting the Vita until at least the first hardware revision (likely called "slim"), so probably not this year.

That leaves PS3 games for me:

- Mass Effect 3 (that's a no-brainer)
- GTA 5 (if it is released this year?)
- The Last of Us (see above)
- SSX (if the reviews don't suck)
- Tony Hawk HD
- The Last Guardian (if it is ever released...?!)
- Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (been holding off on this for long enough! :D)
- Silent Hill Downpour & HD Remakes

Last edited:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Red = Purchased

Hardware
PS Vita WiFi + 32GB card
iPhone 5
iPad Mini 32GB

PS3
Mass Effect 3 N7 Edition
Journey
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Crystal Edition
Assassins Creed 3: Join or Die Edition
Valkyria Chronicles

PC
Shogun 2: Total War, Fall of the Samurai
Diablo III
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Endless Space
RUSE
FTL
Final Fantasy VII
Max Payne 3
Arma II + Operation Arrowhead + DayZ
Civilization V: Gods & Kings
Borderlands 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wipeout 2048
Super Stardust Delta
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Touch my Katamari
Rayman Origins

Assassins Creed 3: Liberation

Pushed to 2013 :(
Bioshock Infinite
Company of Heroes 2
SimCity V
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

The Last of Us
The Last Guardian
Rome II: Total War
Grand Theft Auto V

Nintendo have unfortunately lost me as a customer, with the WiiU being about as interesting as a piece of fluff. If I'm proven wrong I'll pick one up later, but I doubt it. Fed up of the same IP being regurgitated endlessly, terrible motion controls with no option of a traditional system and a reliance on gimmicks to sell hardware. Oh, and endless amounts of awful third party titles.

Interestingly, no 360 games so far either. I don't like Halo, so yeah...

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Picked up:

Starfox 3DS
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Loads of 3DS virtual console games
MGS HD collection PS3
Dead Rising 2 OTR PS3

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Picked up:

Dead Rising 2 OTR PS3

Picked this up a while ago. Can't play it due to the horrendous screen tearing in that game. Ruins the game for me.

Pre-ordered this month

Kingdoms of Amalur & the Darkness 2 for PC
Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS
Jak & Daxter collection for PS3

PS Vita 3G
16gb mem card
Uncharted
Army Corps of Hell
Ridge Racer (was only €15)
Wipeout 2048
Lumines
Little Deviants
Rayman Origins
Ultimate Marvel v Capcom
BazBlue standard edition

Will download Escape Plan from PSN

Omg I've gone insane.
Saw that Modnation Racers is €22 on planetaxel.com as opposed to €44.99 RRP here, and HotShots Golf is €24 too.... So I just ordered them.

Last edited:

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
The Premium Limited Edition of BlazBlue arrived today, and Under Defeat HD Ltd Edition is somewhere between Hong Kong and my house. So to add to the list:

Persona 4: Mayonaka Arena - PS3 (August) This is already confirmed for the US (pre-orders available on Amazon.com), so I'm hoping for a European release via pqube/Zen United.

AquaPazza: Aquaplus Dream Match - PS3 (June) Obscure anime fighting game, I really can't see this getting a Western release so I've got my pre-order in with Play-Asia.

:apple:

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Considering I bought too many games last year, this year I'm only going for

FIFA 13
NHL 13
The Last of Us

unless something really pops up that I wasn't expecting. I'm drooling a bit over the PSVita, but I think I'm going to save my cash for the new iPad and I'm also due for a new iPhone this year :D

LatinGeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Why are you people even buying the PS Gimmick - i mean, "Vita"?

Anyway:
-Borderlands 2
-A guitar hero guitar
-Probably maybe a Dingoo or similar third party emulator thingamajig

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^because of the good games.

Vita wifi with-
Rayman, Motorstorm RC, Escape Plan, Super Stardust Delta, Ultimate MvC. Tomorrow I should have Touch My Katamari and Everybody's Golf.

Motorstorm is so good!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not necessarily a game, but I picked up a QanBa 4RAF 'cuz it supports Xbox, PS3 and PC.
quanba1-Copy.jpg

Feels like heaven to touch. I want to hold it so much.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You guys still exsist :rolleyes:

Well I got:

Vita
Rayman Origins
Lumines
Shinobito 2
Uncharted
Escape Plan
Tales from Space

Coming in March:
Unit 13
Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
Silent Hill Downpour (PS3)
Silent Hill Book of Memories (vita)
Silent Hill HD Collection

Bless

Wasn't bowled over by the Unit 13 demo on the vita tbh, won't be picking it up. Will pick up Lego Harry potter 5-7 for it instead.

Likewise my pre-orders are already taken for ME3, SH:Downpour (please don't let me down) and SH: HD Collection (in case downpour does let me down ;) )

Not keen on the Vita version, but will wait and see, there's more than enough gaming hours in that lot to keep me busy anyway :)

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
So far the beginning of this year has been strong for video games. Glad to see that companies are starting to appreciate not dumping everything they have during the holidays.

I had been playing Call of Duty & enjoying it, when I just suddenly hit a wall during my 5th or 6th prestige. The combination of players always running lag, the removal of my favorite game mode ( Drop Zone ), some really questionable design ( Revenge Spawns :mad: overpowered weapons AGAIN ) decisions, and I found myself burnt out already.

Luckily Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning came out, and it rocks. The demo convinced me, and I've been loving the game. It's a bit top heavy on the side quests, but I really enjoy the combat.

I did get SSX, but it's more of a time killer, not a game I'd play hardcore.

This Tuesday is Mass Effect 3 AND Streetfighter X Tekken. While SF X Tekken is more of a time killer for me ( I've long since lost my fighting game skills, but still enjoy playing ), the demo from ME3's multiplayer mode is like crack! I can't wait for the real thing.

I'm undecided on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City & Max Payne 3.

Prototype 2 - Loved the first one!
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon - Played the others, will enjoy something different, but I want a new Rainbow Six!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Streetfighter X Tekken.

I want this but after

Street Fighter V > Super Street Fighter V
Marvel V Capcom 3 > Ultimate Marvel V Capcom 3

Using same logic I'll wait for a Super/Ultimate Streetfighter X Tekken in 6 months or so :)

On my mac I'm playing but

struggling to get into Kingdoms of Amalur myself. It looks like fable but somehow lacks the narrative charm that made me play the fable series. I've skipped most of the NPC conversations because they're mostly dull.

on the other hand The Darkness 2 is a good blast. But not a game I could play for more than 30 minute blasts. I like the art style too.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Prototype 2 - Loved the first one!
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon - Played the others, will enjoy something different, but I want a new Rainbow Six!

Looking forward to Prototype 2 & Future Soldier. I was digging through my 360 games yesterday and stumbled across my copy of Advanced Warfighter (which feels very very dated now), and Prototype. Prototype I had actually gotten as a freebie when I bought Singularity; played through about 90% of it but never finished it so I'm planning to get that done before late April. :)

As a Ninja Gaiden fan since the NES days, I'm looking forward to Ninja Gaiden 3 later this month. I have to finish NG2 before then. lol

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I want this but after

Street Fighter V > Super Street Fighter V
Marvel V Capcom 3 > Ultimate Marvel V Capcom 3

Same! Besides, I'm waiting for the Vita version which is out in Autumn so hopefully it'll be the "super" edition rather than regular.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Since I've become a casual fighting game player, multiple iterations of the same game don't bother me. To me it's the same tired noise as people who whine about 'this year's Call of Duty'. I got the last Street Fighter and just played that till I was bored, never bothering with the newer version. I completely passed on the latest Marvel Vs Capcom, because I wasn't a fan of the art style. I loved the newest Mortal Kombat, but can't be bothered with the latest repackaged money grab. Street Fighter Vs Tekken was a lot of fun at last year's New York Comic Con, so I'm looking forward to playing it at my own leisure. Future versions of it or not...

I did leave out Borderlands 2, it took me a little bit, but I eventually got into the first one & loved it.

They also officially announced the first DLC for Kingdoms of Amalur, and I'll be getting that.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I can't wait to get my hands on these games all on the PS3.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Max Payne 3
Aliens: Colonial Marines (Play.com have put the release date for 30th March :eek:)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Spec Ops: The Line
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3
BioShock Infinite
Resident Evil 6

I might give these games ago:

Syndicate
Binary Domain
Assassin's Creed 3
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Metro Last Light
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Playing Binary Domain on PS3. I'm loving it tbh. Deep levelling up system, great 3rd person shooting / combat and the whole Philip k.dick sci-fi premise just kicks ass.

I'm not a fan of these types of game normally (gears of war etc) but this is just great. It looks fantastic on PS3 too (smooth framerate, decent AntiAliasing, great cut scenes, motion capture and lip sync).. Better than the demo, it's really good.

Sleeper Hit of the Spring no doubt. Check it out.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Tempted to pick up Darksiders 1 if it goes on sale on Steam (got a feeling it will given how close Darksiders 2 is). And Darksiders 2 eventually, unless it gets awful reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.