Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_5_1_ipad.jpg

Following Apple's announcement that iOS 5.1 would debut today, the software update is now available for existing iOS devices. Among the notable additions are Japanese language support for Siri, camera enhancements, and the ability to delete photos from users' Photo Streams.
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
Apple's battery issues under iOS 5 were well-documented, and it appears that the 5.1 release takes additional steps to address that issue, while the update also seems to address audio issues that had been plaguing a number of users.

Article Link: iOS 5.1 Now Available with Japanese Siri, Camera Enhancements, and More

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Genius Mixes and Playlists for iTunes Match is all I was waiting for to pull the trigger. What a pleasant surprise!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I will wait with this one on my iPad 1 as iOS 5 meant a performance hit for me. I wish I could go back to good old iOS 3 or 4 at least, but no luck for me as I didn't save a file that is apparently required.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
AppleTV update?

So will the 2010 :apple:tv get the new facelift? Also, I thought I saw a comment about iCloud and movies? Still hoping for iTunes match to include movies...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Just so there's no problems for me, can everybody wait to update their iOS devices after I'm done please?

I'm nearly done like. :D

EDIT: I'm done. Thanks guys, download went smoothly.;)

Last edited:

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Please confirm 3G toggle

Can someone please confirm the ability to disable 3G on the ATT iPhone 4S. I must have that and I'm too scared to upgrade from 5.0.1b

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
OK, but... WHERE IS LOCATION SUPPORT FOR CANADA????

As far as I'm concerned, Siri is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, and is still 90% useless north of the border. The iPhone 4S was released in October, yet its features are still not fully supported.

Epic, epic fail...

Last edited:

insocal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Please let PUSH MAIL be fixed!!

MobileMe accounts migrated to iCloud...no mention in the notes of PUSH MAIL being fixed. Is that a sign that it's not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.