Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo375wide1-150x72.jpg

The original 3G iPad came with an unlimited data plan from AT&T -- it was only available for a couple of months, before AT&T implemented its current capped data plans.

We're told that the handful of customers who still have unlimited iPad data plans from the first iPad will get to keep those plans if they get a new iPad with 4G. Additionally, their data won't be throttled for the time being -- AT&T's throttling policies only apply to smartphones, not tablets.

That said, AT&T's contracts -- including those for iPad data plans -- do allow for the throttling of unlimited plans, but we're told that AT&T has no current plans to do so.

Article Link: iPad Owners With Original Unlimited Data Plan Get Unlimited, Unthrottled 4G

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
By that same token, I expect my unlimited 3G plan for my iPhone to turn into an unlimited/unthrottled 4G plan come this fall.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
They say that it's unthrottled now so people won't make a big fuss out of it. Wait a few months and heavy users suddenly get lower bandwidth.

jlmitnick

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
By that same token, I expect my unlimited 3G plan for my iPhone to turn into an unlimited/unthrottled 4G plan come this fall.

Read the post again. Won't work for smartphones. You will keep the unlimited but get throttled at 5gb if their policies stay the same.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Enjoy it now. I am sure in 2-3 months AT&T will claim that their networks just can not handle anymore people with unlimited plans going above 2gb....but if they want to pay a bit more....then their networks will magically be able to handle it.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
So how does one transfer the grandfathered unlimited account to the new iPad? Is it sufficient just to swap the sim cards?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
There are a few unthrottled AT&T users, just as there are a few unthrottled AT&T customer support reps. We may be glad of both, however rare.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't believe it for a second. AT&T will definitely end up screwing its customers as usual.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
So how does one transfer the grandfathered unlimited account to the new iPad? Is it sufficient just to swap the sim cards?

Last year I had to login to the AT&T iPad account and change the IMEI. (AT&T servers were down so I had to do it myself)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Now I kind of want to just switch my pre-order to a AT&T model and buy a unlimited SIM off eBay.

I wonder how this will play out.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have unlimited from iPad 1. Just Ordered Verizon 4G because I figured I was going to lose unlimited.

How muh better is verizons 4G that att?

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
There have got to be far fewer grandfathered unlimited iPad users than iPhone users so definitely don't expect this to be the same path when the iPhone goes to 4G LTE.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I just upgraded to an LTE phone from my iphone 4s. My unlimted data stayed in place, plus I was given the option to add 200 msg for an extra $5.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
As someone who felt squeezed by AT&T's bait-and-switch on this, one month after I bought in, and has begrudgingly maintained iPad 3G service for two years now just to keep this unlimited plan, I am HAPPY to read this!

I hope it's true. And stays that way for awhile. This will sway me back in AT&T's direction, I was about to get a Verizon iPad 3 as an upgrade instead.

I don't think that'd work as apparently LTE uses a new MicroSIM?

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/1...im-cards-sparking-speculation-on-ipad-3-link/

Last year I had to login to the AT&T iPad account and change the IMEI. (AT&T servers were down so I had to do it myself)

How did you do this? There's nowhere on the iPad UI as far as I know. Is this via a phone call, visit to AT&T's website, what?

Thanks for any info.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012

I don't believe it for a second. AT&T will definitely end up screwing its customers as usual.

So I can't help but ask what is Apple's part in all of this mess? Apple gave AT&T an exclusive contract to sell iPhones for at least 2 years. Did Apple get no commitment from AT&T to offer truly unlimited data plans without throttling or to roll out LTE by specific dates? I bet Apple knew 2 years ago when they would offer a phone with LTE. Why would you net get a commitment from an exclusive provider to be ready with their network when you plan to be ready with your phone? What good is an LTE phone if the availability of LTE service is virtually non-existent? Did Apple grossly underestimate the number of iPhones it would sell and/or did AT&T grossly underestimate the amount of data iPhone users would be throwing around on their network? AT&T seems to be dragging its feet deploying a faster network while Apple keeps selling newer phones capable of accessing faster networks. There is a disconnect here somewhere.

Am I looking at this all wrong?

jrfive0

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just saw a Verizon commercial advertising 4gb for $30 a month....

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
At first I was happy with the belief that this would lead to my unlimited plan transfer to my 4G iPhone (5th Generation). Then I got mad all over again because it will be throttled. Then I thought why the heck should iPad owners get this priviledge but not us iPhone owners.

Solution for AT&T that would make everyone happy -> change unlimited to 10GB plans. All but the 24x7 video watching zombies would rejoice.

Otherwise, AT&T suck it!

Imahottguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
I called CS and they said that all I need to do is go to att.com/ipadlanding choose "edit user and payment info" and then "update device information". There one can edit the IMEI and ICCID info for the iPad. Once the changes have been made, power cycle the new iPad and viola. Your unlimited service has just been transferred from one iPad to another. Oh yeah, and you do get unlimited 4G as well as 3G. They also told me that currently there is no deadline for when one would have to do this. In my situation, I cannot afford a new iPad for like 4 months, they said that is fine, as long as I keep paying.

$30 for unlimited 4G? Yes preeze.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011

I have unlimited from iPad 1. Just Ordered Verizon 4G because I figured I was going to lose unlimited.

How muh better is verizons 4G that att?
Of course it will vary depending on the location, but it seems that Verizon is always better. Take a look at some ATT sample speeds here,
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...se-with-at-ts-4g-lte-speeds-in-san-francisco/
and a Verizon test here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rueyCgw450g
I would assume Att will get slower as more people migrate to LTE, as they don't want to spend any money upgrading anything.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Month one:

All you can use!

Month two:

It's still all you can use.. ( Hands of CEO start shaking when seeing network costs)

Month three:

Be fair with your data! (Margins making shareholders unhappy. CEO ticked.)

Month four:

If you use more then 5GB you're a dead man! (Account termination button at the ready.)

thisisvick

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
time to sell?

it could be 50/50 chance att decides to pull the throttle button on grandfathered unlimited plans.... Im thinking this is the time to part with it.
i know i can check ebay and craigslist... but listings are prior att anouncement of this plan being carried for to ipad 3 - LTE....
You guys is worth selling?
What would be a good number to sell it for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.