Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Edit: And I don't even want to hear the "I don't play games I am a media artist" pitch either because I work with heavy editing of extremely large photographs frequently in pixelmator

And you do that by connecting your MBA to a 27" display which the integrated graphics has zero troubles with driving at respectable speeds? If not, then I think your dismissal is unwarranted, as this is precisely how a big chunk of media professionals, among others, use their current MBPs, and from all the reports I've read, the integrated Intel graphics are sluggish and laggy when driving a display of that resolution when asked to do anything beyond the most basic of 2d. Even instantiating Launchpad apparently becomes very sluggish, so goodness only knows how anybody could reasonably expect the same system to fare when dealing with more demanding applications.

laelfrog

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Since those Ivy Bridge CPUs are going in to laptops that have a GPU, upping the shader count from 6 to 16 should be a waste, they will never be turned on.

If they are going to be turned on, that would mean that the discrete GPU in those machines is either going to be much higher spec'd, or it won't be there.
I disagree. It is possible (and rumored) that they are moving towards retina displays on their macbook/pro/air lineup and need the extra spec bump to keep up with the high-res displays.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
What, did apple forget about AMD again?! I would infinitely prefer a A8-3550MX based MacBook Pro over one crippled by an Intel integrated GPU!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
All I know about graphics cards is that every mac graphic card, ever, has sucked according to everyone. Also, I've been happy with every Mac I've owned.

I assume this is just more of the same?

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
This has been done before. MBP 15'' was available with the 9400m. It's not that much of a shock.

True but then they took a step forward to make "Pro" spec out more like what a 'pro' might want. I like to buy base models as they hold their value best and then upgrade the ram and hard drive myself. If I have to spend several hundred dollars more to get a 15" laptop with a discrete chip in it, like $1,999, then the entire investment has less value - meaning apple is offering less value that that price point. PC's drop in price but the price point of MBP's have been steady for years. Anyway, let's see what really happens - these are still just rumors

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I disagree. It is possible (and rumored) that they are moving towards retina displays on their macbook/pro/air lineup and need the extra spec bump to keep up with the high-res displays.

But are these Intel HD4000 GPUs strong enough to do Retina displays on the laptop and desktop platforms while running all your typical software?

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Most 13" macbook pros are only used for email and updating facebook. No biggie really. If you really are a pro you wont have a 13" macbook.

Wrong - I use mine all the time for photographic processing running CS5. This mindset that all high end computer use requires SOTA graphics processors is crazy. I want a 15" for the screen size and quad core CPU - I could care less about a discrete graphics chip.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
But are these Intel HD4000 GPUs strong enough to do Retina displays on the laptop and desktop platforms while running all your typical software?

Well, in gaming, probably not. If they go the iDevice route and quadruple the number of pixels, then no, they are not that great. But if you use it to process your content, which isn't going to become four times as complex, then they should do fine.

Personally, i like the option of a 15'' with a integrated GPU.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Ivy Bridge's slides show support for multiple 4K video playback support. Anything 3D is going to be another story entirely. Not to mention pumping that over LVDS or DisplayPort.

SA has information on the nVidia 28nm mobile lineup. The N13P-GT's hardware and some benchmarks were leaked out earlier this month. The GT 650M appears to be based on the GK107 core. Plenty of new shaders but a low core clock. I wonder if hot clocks are still hanging around or if GPU-Z does not report the new Kepler hardware correctly.

Attachments

• 221138yniyzzoykyy5ikyi.jpg
    221138yniyzzoykyy5ikyi.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2211389hlhr3zl0ulz85e8.jpg
    2211389hlhr3zl0ulz85e8.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 57

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Ever since my 8600m GT burned out on me I'm anti-Nvidia. And I no longer care about dedicated GPU in a mobile computer. I'm sick of wasting money on trying to stuff performance into a mobile computer that will be outdated in a year anyway. Meanwhile sacrificing reliability.
The HD3000 has been good enough for what I want. The HD4000 looks like it will be more of the same.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Thats bad news.....they better drop the prices or something to make up for the change. I wouldn't buy a computer without a dedicated GPU. The shared ram stuff sucks.

Which is another reason why merging the MBA and MBP lines would be disasterous. It's absurd to give up so much...dedicated graphics processing, large HDDs and IMO an optical drive (which I still use heavily) just to get a slightly thinner case. How does this make any sense?

Besides, if you think about it, between the MBA and MBP, the line most likely to be eroded by iPad sales is the MBA. If you mainly consume content, surf, tweet, use Facebook or Linked-In, check email and play some games, the iPad more than suffices. Those are also the users of the MBA.

Llano manages to fend off the 3770K's Intel HD 4000 quite well. This is before we even get Trinity into the picture.

Havent read much on AMD efforts, but sounds good. I'm a PC gamer who cant drink the "powerful graphics on the new xMac" Apple juice.

What frustrates me most, is that were paying a high premium for a product that fails graphically. Hell, even the Pro is still touting a 5870 as the most powerful BTO option. Jeeze.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
Which is another reason why merging the MBA and MBP lines would be disasterous. It's absurd to give up so much...dedicated graphics processing, large HDDs and IMO an optical drive (which I still use heavily) just to get a slightly thinner case. How does this make any sense?

Besides, if you think about it, between the MBA and MBP, the line most likely to be eroded by iPad sales is the MBA. If you mainly consume content, surf, tweet, use Facebook or Linked-In, check email and play some games, the iPad more than suffices. Those are also the users of the MBA.

Or they can copy Sony and have an external GPU connected thru Thunderbolt. When you need to do real work, you can use that option. I know its not the perfect solution for "on the road warriors" but at least is something.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Isn't AMD 7xxx series supposed to be faster than the nVidia 7xx series?

I don't understand why Apple flip flops with their GPU manufacturer, even when the other brand has superior GPUs. When Apple put the 330m in their notebooks, the 4xxx and 5xxx series was blowing away nvidia's midrange cards. When Apple put in the ATI X1600 series in, nVidia's 7xxx series was blowing ATI's GPUs out of the water.

Can someone explain this to me?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Havent read much on AMD efforts, but sounds good. I'm a PC gamer who cant drink the "powerful graphics on the new xMac" Apple juice.

What frustrates me most, is that were paying a high premium for a product that fails graphically. Hell, even the Pro is still touting a 5870 as the most powerful BTO option. Jeeze.
Anandtech's Ivy Bridge preview goes into detail on IGP vs. fGPU performance.

AMD had their own claims from the recent 2012 Financial Analyst Day that Trinity's fGPU was already well prepared to exceed whatever Intel had to offer in ULV to full 35/45W power.

HardMac went as far as to repost this.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This has been done before. MBP 15'' was available with the 9400m. It's not that much of a shock.

I agree with this. If it's a matter of yields, then my guess is that Apple will offer a 15" MacBook Air/Pro (or perhaps just "MacBook") in a base model with the Intel HD 4000. They can offer an NVIDIA or AMD GPU as an upgrade. There are a lot of people (e.g. my mother) who don't need the power of a separate GPU but prefer a larger screen. This model would appeal to them, and let Apple preserve their supply of discrete GPUs for people willing to pay extra for them.

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
The the myth of a "fabless" semiconductor company being a good, viable idea sure is taking a long time to die. If you need quality, volume silicon like Apple does, you need to go to a company that actually manufactures the product.

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

khollister said:

Most 13" macbook pros are only used for email and updating facebook. No biggie really. If you really are a pro you wont have a 13" macbook.

Wrong - I use mine all the time for photographic processing running CS5. This mindset that all high end computer use requires SOTA graphics processors is crazy. I want a 15" for the screen size and quad core CPU - I could care less about a discrete graphics chip.

I still stand by what I said. Its a consumer laptop that would more likely have vuze installed than cs5

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
I had HP Pavilion with Nvidia 8400 GPU and it melted.

I have read numerous times articles about melted MacBookPro's with Nvidia chips.

Sometime ago I preferred Nvidia because Linux driver support and VDPAU video acceleration... But I've switched to ATI because they run cooler and draw less power.. And they are very hackintosh friendly cards too.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
The the myth of a "fabless" semiconductor company being a good, viable idea sure is taking a long time to die. If you need quality, volume silicon like Apple does, you need to go to a company that actually manufactures the product.

No company manufactures their own graphics chips. So it's not really an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.