Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I find it interesting that at least the first production wave will feature only Samsung displays, and that LG and Sharp will eventually jump into the mix once their quality control issues are rectified.

Sort of makes you think the first wave will certainly have great displays, and we'll get into a "panel lottery" once LG and Sharp jump in and users start comparing their display to others.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Why couldnt MR just post a link to the article? They've got to know that people will find it, so just link to it instead of pissing people off :rolleyes:

The link didn't exist when we first posted the story.

arn

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
We seem to be overloading the server. What a bunch of nerds.

Attachments

• downtime.png
    downtime.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 88

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Tear the guts out of it and find out why it weighs more LOL.

There's two reasons it weighs more which I think are relatively secure to state:

1/ The LTE radio
2/ The bigger battery required in order to support LTE
and a third possibility -- that Retina Display screen sure sucks power, I'm guessing.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
You have to love someone who can write a line like this:

"As we lift the LCD, we hear the cries of 3,145,728 pixels being removed from their homes inside the iPad 3."

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wish I was going to australia to get the iPad. More for the Australia reason, I went there this time last year and it was awesome. An iPad 3 would just make it better.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
I find it interesting that at least the first production wave will feature only Samsung displays, and that LG and Sharp will eventually jump into the mix once their quality control issues are rectified.

Sort of makes you think the first wave will certainly have great displays, and we'll get into a "panel lottery" once LG and Sharp jump in and users start comparing their display to others.

I was thinking the same thing since it was the opposite last time around with the iPad 2. Samsung had to jump in after LG was having low yields and quality issues. I'm certainly happy to be getting a Samsung display.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Are the commentaries by iFixit really necessary? :rolleyes:

Examples: "Connectors and screws, connectors and screws, to secure a logic board, that's what you use!"
"Ha! Sneaky, sneaky, iPad. Let go of your logic board."

How about just sticking to writing the teardown without the extra garbage, half of the damn teardown is the above quotes.

Ha! Don't be such a Buzz Killington :D

I particularly liked, "It appears that 4G LTE on the iPad 3 does not actually work while upside-down", regarding no compatibility w/Aussie 4G. :)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Wow did they really go all the way to Australia just to be the first ones to tear down the new iPad??? smh

Wouldn't you?

Think about it... The first ones to post a tear down = a LOT of hits, presumable well enough to cover the cost of the trip and you get to go to Australia.

It's a win-win

justjohn025

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Is there a difference between the retina displays of Samsung, LG, and Sharp that are used for the iPad?

Designx

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
They open it up to find.... (gasp) apple makes none of the components!

So iPad = Samsung galaxy tab xx.x note inspire nexus 2.0?

IMO the key is properly matched components coupled with great design, price and above all software!

There is a reason why apple has 70% market share.

No they find out it's the same innards as a Playstation Vita!

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I see Samsung and Apples relationship like Chris Brown and Rhiannas!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
A shame they don't laminate the glass to the display a la iPhone 4/4S. Adds to the clarity & deterrence of under-glass dust bunnies. Though I guess w/ a display that size it'd be a bit unwieldy to make that happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.