Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
I am pretty sure the technology behind this Retina display is a cooperative effort between Apple and Sharp. Unfortunately when it came time to mass production, Sharp could not meet the yield requirements, and meet Quality Control standards. Apple is using Samsung for fabrication, and Sharp & LG will soon start making the screens too.

Same goes with the A5X, Apple Engineers design it, Samsung fabricates it.

Since Samsung is fabricating a lot of parts for Apple, this is were things get in sticky. Samsung learns from Apples Designs, and then copies those for their products. Apple gets pissed, because they spent all the money on R&D, and thats why we have court cases.

Samsung doesn't really need to copy anything from Apple since they already demoed their 2560x1600 10.1" displays last year.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-demos-two-2560x1600-pixels-10-displays-production-of-one-to-start-next-year_id23296

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Samsung doesn't really need to copy anything from Apple since they already demoed their 2560x1600 10.1" displays last year.

While this is true, the Samsung also uses a slight different display technology called Pentile which has a different sub pixel arrangement.

Also, having a prototype is different from being able to ship in numbers. Since Samsung has not included this in the Galaxy Note 10.1 (Q2 2012) and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, it is unlikely we will get a shipping product until Q3/Q4 at the earliest.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
The is only ONE THING I want to know about inside the new iPad...

IS THE AUDIO CHIP THEY USE FOR SIRI IN IT???

I figured since it already has dictation that it has to be since they use it for noise cancelation etc. And then in the fall when iOS 6 comes out they could update the new iPad with Siri and take it out of beta while releasing an API for developers :D

Can anyone confirm this? I haven't seen anything about it online yet! :(

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
so 1gb ram, but exactly the same cpu? cpu bums me a little, but atleast the gpu is good

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
so 1gb ram, but exactly the same cpu? cpu bums me a little, but atleast the gpu is good

I'm just hoping the iPhone 5 doesn't have the same CPU or I'll be very disappointed. They have 6 months so maybe they will make it better...

wiswis

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2005
Um I don't understand if samsung makes the display, why won't they put it in their tablets?!!:confused:

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
Um I don't understand if samsung makes the display, why won't they put it in their tablets?!!:confused:

Because Samsung will use their own, better displays than "retina" is

----------

The "breakthrough in battery technology" is a combination of smaller components overall and the simple engineering choice to make it imperceptably thicker and just barely noticeably heavier. This is great news.

It is also capable of getting hot. This thing is optimized and turbocharged.

Rocketman

iPad 2 = ca. 6500mAh
iPan 3 = ca. 11.000mAh

Yeah, a "breakhtrough" indeed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Any confirmation of this? It would be nice if they could pull the heat spreader off the A5X so we could get a rough estimate of its die size. Hopefully it's not 45nm, otherwise the new iPad might be burning up something other than just mobile OpenGL benchmarks :\

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5681/apples-a5x-die-and-size-revealed

Using the Toshiba eMMC NAND that resides next to the A5X as a reference, we can come up with a rough idea of die size. Based on Toshiba's public documentation, 24nm eMMC 16GB parts measure 12mm x 16mm. Using photoshop and the mystical power of ratios we come up with a rough estimate of 10.8mm x 10.8mm for the A5X die, or 117.5mm^2. If you remember back to our iPad analysis article, we guessed that conservative scaling on a 32nm process would give Apple a ~125mm^2 die for the A5X. While there's a lot of estimation in our methodology, it appears likely that the A5X's die is built on a 28/32nm process - or at least not a 45nm process. Note that this value is entirely dependent on the dimensions of Toshiba's NAND being accurate as well as the photo being as level and distortion-free as possible.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Because Samsung will use their own, better displays than "retina" is
Maybe. They probably will have a higher pixel rear camera than 5mp/1080p video, and a higher front camera than VGA. They might have a higher Ghz chip, lower nm process, more memory, and a variety of other technical specs that are, taken alone, better.

As a total system experience it will suck more and likely will not cost less. It will also risk violating various IP and deal with lawsuits later after they cash the checks.

One should be careful how you frame the claim "better". Just as the battery claim. The battery technology on iPad is exactly the same as iPad2. It's just 70% bigger or so. Which some might say meh, but I say yea!

I think there should be a utility so the Verizon iPad with an ATT SIM can talk to whatever network is appropriate base on reception, remaining buckets of GB, or rules based on location or other factors.

"World Leader" Virgin Mobile just started running ads for a data only phone with no fees or plan for voice or text. It is included in the data and works just fine, like iPhone 1 could have in 2007 had Apple not sucked up to ATT to assure a large revenue stream, and even now to all other carriers worldwide.

Rocketman

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
For the first time iFixit got some information wrong.
They called the product the iPad 3. This is wrong. There is no iPad 3. There is however a iPad (3rd Generation). And it's this that they did pull apart. A little point but they should have gotten it right.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
For the first time iFixit got some information wrong.
They called the product the iPad 3. This is wrong. There is no iPad 3. There is however a iPad (3rd Generation). And it's this that they did pull apart. A little point but they should have gotten it right.
Really? Your going to bash them for being *more* clear to their audience? LOL

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
There's such a thing as giving Apple too much credit. The high resolution is hard to manufacture, so whoever is manufacturing it deserves some credit. Its not hard for Apple to say they want an lcd with XxY resolution. Its now up to the manufacturers to make it happen. Give credit where credit is due.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
There's such a thing as giving Apple too much credit. The high resolution is hard to manufacture, so whoever is manufacturing it deserves some credit. Its not hard for Apple to say they want an lcd with XxY resolution. Its now up to the manufacturers to make it happen. Give credit where credit is due.
Wait a minute.

They took a company with leading edge technology (Sharp) and combined it with a company with leading edge manufacturing (Samsung) and sold the crap out of it (Apple).

Apple did it.

Apple prepaid hundreds of millions of dollars and is post facto paying tens of billions of dollars on manufacture for some screens. Cool screens, but still just screens.

That's some serious mullah. And some serious leaning in the right direction.

Rocketman

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Wait a minute.

They took a company with leading edge technology (Sharp) and combined it with a company with leading edge manufacturing (Samsung) and sold the crap out of it (Apple).

Apple did it.

Apple prepaid hundreds of millions of dollars and is post facto paying tens of billions of dollars on manufacture for some screens. Cool screens, but still just screens.

That's some serious mullah. And some serious leaning in the right direction.

Rocketman
Give them credit for making the ipad 3, but realize that they didn't create any new technology. The new techs, like high res screen, fast soc, and others, were made by somebody else.

edit. Also, they didn't even assemble it. They contract other companies like Foxconn to assemble it.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Give them credit for making the ipad 3, but realize that they didn't create any new technology. The new techs, like high res screen, fast soc, and others, were made by somebody else.

edit. Also, they didn't even assemble it. They contract other companies like Foxconn to assemble it.
When someone already makes the point they did sales not invention, why do you find it critical to reinforce and restate the point? You are a confirmed Apple hater! To no end.

Just to annoy you, Apple alone translated it to a stock price and P/E increase. The others translated it to volume and revenue!

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.