Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following on iFixit's disassembling of a new iPad they purchased in Melbourne, Australia yesterday, Chipworks has begun sharing the results of their iPad teardown.

5mprearcam.jpg

The most interesting -- though perhaps unsurprising -- discovery is that Apple has apparently reused cameras from prior products for both the front and rear cameras on the new iPad. The rear camera, pictured above, appears to be the same 5 megapixel CMOS Image Sensor that was used in the iPhone 4.
That unit was the Omnivision OV5650. The OV5650 is the second generation back illumination (BI) technology from OmniVision. This 5 Mp camera features 1.75 µm pixels, and is designed to deliver DSC quality in a mobile phone application. The sensor supports HD (1080p) video at 60 fps. Apple specifications for the new iPad also tout the same specification. So the analysis we have just completed... drum roll please... says that the 5 Mp back illuminated CMOS Image Sensor in the new iPad is the same, it is the Omnivision OV5650 (die mark OV290BF).
The front camera in the new iPad is the 0.3 megapixel Omnivision OV297AA unit seen previously in the iPad 2 and the old camera-equipped iPod Nano. Chipworks notes that this isn't the first time Apple has recycled parts into new products, and that the strategy keeps costs and technological risks low.

Chipworks has a few other notes from the teardown, as well, including the observation that Apple is dual-sourcing DRAM for the iPad 3. iFixit's unit utilized DRAM from Elpida, while Chipworks' unit has DRAM from Samsung.

A5XGSM.jpg

Additionally, Samsung is the foundry for the A5X processor and Apple is again using the company's 45nm CMOS manufacturing process. The A5X's die is 36.5% larger than its predecessor, measuring 162.94 mm^2 versus 119.32mm^2 for the A5. Chipworks is continuing to examine the A5X and promises additional cross-section photos soon.

Article Link: New iPad Using Same Camera Sensors Found in Older Products

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
They really need a separate section for iPad, iPhone and Macintosh rumors.

This every-five-minutes updating for incredibly trivial news (why does this even matter..?) is really frustrating, especially if you're trying to find news you're interested in and it's completely buried if you haven't been on in two days.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I expect furious apple fanboys. This would be frowned upon by any other company but I'm sure Apple will get a pass.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
iPad 3 is just for the display, and hence the better gpu core, the rest of it, storage, cameras, etc. are overused last years tech, some people at apple are being cheap stakes .

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Same sensor + better optics = photos will actually be better on my iPad than my phone? Interesting.

But they seem to have their specs a little mixed up. Haven't looked up the sensor itself, but Apple specs "HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second" on the iPad and "HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second" on the iPhone 4. I assume the difference is processor related, but it's not true that Apple's specs match "HD (1080p) video at 60 fps".

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
The sensor supports HD (1080p) video at 60 fps. Apple specifications for the new iPad also tout the same specification.

Apple said:
Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio

Huge difference between 60 and 30, kids...

frick

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
As I've alluded to in other threads, a 45nm A5X is a deal-killer for me :(. The "iPad 3" is essentially an underpowered version of the iPad 2 considering the display's high resolution and lack of CPU/GPU clock increases. The next iPad will benefit from a full node shrink to (presumably) 28nm on BOTH the CPU and the 4G baseband; likely in addition to new CPU (Cortex A15) and GPU architectures. The iPad 3 is shaping up to be a repeat of the iPhone 3G (read: only survives one iOS update before becoming slow enough to impair its usefulness).

This is in addition to the battery problems the iPad 3 is likely to experience: that 45nm A5X is BIG for a mobile SoC, and will be generating a lot of heat. Hot iPad innards = significantly diminished Li-Ion battery lifetime.

Looking forward to the "iPad 4"... Android's non-GPU accelerated UI just won't do it for me.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who the f*** actually gets caught up in this type of surf!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I expect furious apple fanboys. This would be frowned upon by any other company but I'm sure Apple will get a pass.

Okay, please explain your position.

Is it bad that HP uses the same keys on their keyboard from one laptop to the next? Is it bad that Canon uses the same push-buttons from model to model? Is it bad that Samsung uses the same bezel from last year's TV model to this year's?

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
And this is why I, as an iPad 2 owner, will wait for the next true hardware revision, the iPad 4.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Very interesting. It does make you wonder if the iPad 2 can record 1080p video with the same camera as the iPhone 4, then why can't the iPhone 4 record 1080p video?

Does it's single core A4 CPU only let it do 720p? Was the CPU really the issue or did Apple just want to wait until the 4S? Maybe it didn't record 1080p as well as they liked. After all if it lagged a hair Apple could have killed it due to their perfectionist ways. :p Very interesting indeed... :confused:

resonator

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
El Cerrito, California
Poor front camera quality

Would it kill Apple to improve the quality of the front facing camera? A .3 pixel camera is really in my opinion unacceptable in this day and age. I can understand they probably want to keep bandwidth down using Facetime but if you need to take a quick picture using the front facing camera it really does not cut it and is very poor quality. Sorry - am a big Apple fan but not improving the quality of the front facing camera is a big let down. How much would a 2 or 3 megapixel camera in the front add to the cost of the iPad - $2 or $3? I think most people would be willing to pay the cost for the benefit.

raseri

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Optics vs CMOS

I know that a crappy CMOS is a crappy CMOS, but the optics are the more critical component of the camera. Should be close to same quality as 4S.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
The iPhone 4 doesn't have a bad camera so I see no harm in using the same for this iPad

I've got the 4, and now the 3rd gen iPad, and the picture quality so far seems to be the same. It's a nice camera, for being 5mp and so small, so I don't see the harm. I've got nicer cameras for serious work, but this is perfectly capable for the "in the moment" stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.