Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I hope they fixed Mission Control and gave back 'ALL APP' expose... or at least an option in System Preferences to ungroup windows in the same application. Anyone who multitasks and has to drag/drop items from one app to another (illustrator to photoshop) will know how much of a fail Mission Control is.
This is developer preview two which means there is a previous version already out. None of what you want is there and never will be again.

Just accept Mountain Bunny and all the iOS features iBunny has to offer. Resistance is futile.

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
I really think they're releasing this today because they know how much of a failure the "new iPad" will be. They're trying to take the focus away from their inability to make a good tablet.

The iPad is an awful tablet and a poor experience compared to the Mac. I love MAC OS X, it's beautiful, intuitive and powerful something which iOS is not!!

Obvious troll is obvious......

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
This is developer preview two which means there is a previous version already out. None of what you want is there and never will be again.

Just accept Mountain Bunny and all the iOS features iBunny has to offer. Resistance is futile.

I guess I'm sticking to Snow Leopard for life.

Although it wouldnt kill Apple to add a 'tick' option in system preferences to ungroup windows when activating mission control. They removed list view folders in the dock when leopard came out, but they brought it back when the apple community made enough of a stink about it. I dont see why they cant do the same here.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Mountain Lion... For some reason, I don't feel like I'm in a rush to try it out.

I really think they're releasing this today because they know how much of a failure the "new iPad" will be. They're trying to take the focus away from their inability to make a good tablet.

The iPad is an awful tablet and a poor experience compared to the Mac. I love MAC OS X, it's beautiful, intuitive and powerful something which iOS is not!!

Amazing posts right out the gate. The level of intelligence around here is astonishing.

I really hoep they start releasing more features in these previews. The initial preview left me wondering why this is a $30 upgrade. Not a lot being added over the previous OS steppings

holmstockd

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
boy...

Just feels to new - still adjusting to how lion kinda sucks and now a new one is about, man i miss tiger... :)

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Cool.

ML DP1 has so far been excellent. Fast, stable and fun.

I love the fact that "Reminders" and "Notes" are separate apps now.
Messages is cool.
Also, notification centre is gr8!
And.... direct app-storage in iCloud.
:apple:
Thus... I love the iOS-ification of OS X :)

Just give us back the Logitech ForceFeedback drivers.... :eek:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B176)

Gemütlichkeit said:
Mountain Lion... For some reason, I don't feel like I'm in a rush to try it out.

Amazing posts right out the gate. The level of intelligence around here is astonishing.

I really hoep they start releasing more features in these previews. The initial preview left me wondering why this is a $30 upgrade. Not a lot being added over the previous OS steppings

Apple hasn't announced a price yet.

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
i would LOVE if they decided to allow airplay mirroring to not only duplicate your display but also to extend it. that would be a killer feature in my book...it would let me watch full screen videos (read: hulu) on my TV while working on my computer at the same time.

I don't really see a technical or rational reason why they wouldn't allow it either. Fingers crossed that they put that in a future update

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Cool.

Fast, stable and fun.
And.... direct app-storage in iCloud.

I can see speed and stability deserving a major release.
And depending on how iCloud is integrated, I can see that also justifying a new version.

I love the fact that "Reminders" and "Notes" are separate apps now.
Messages is cool.
Also, notification centre is gr8!
Just give us back the Logitech ForceFeedback drivers.... :eek:

What bugs me is that all of these are application updates, not OS updates. The applications may be bundled with the OS, but did they require a kernel re-write to work?
I'll be disappointed if the future of OS X versions were just minor changes to programs and some new drivers. I'd think that sort of thing would be in a . . release (as in going from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2).

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'll be disappointed if the future of OS X versions were just minor changes to programs and some new drivers. I'd think that sort of thing would be in a . . release (as in going from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2).
The updates that are involved with ML are far more significant than what you are talking about. Lots get changed under the hood that nobody really talks about since they aren't marketed that way.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'll be disappointed if the future of OS X versions were just minor changes to programs and some new drivers.

Driver updates can make a world of a difference, especially in video cards. If Apple did that RIGHT it'd be something to be ecstatic about, but unfortunately pretty much all their video card drivers SUCK.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
What bugs me is that all of these are application updates, not OS updates. The applications may be bundled with the OS, but did they require a kernel re-write to work?

Actually, yes, they did.

It’s not just the apps that have changed in Mountain Lion. There’s a lot of new APIs, a lot of fixes over Lion, a lot of GUI changes, most likely support for more recent OpenGL for gaming (they always support a more recent OpenGL with newer OS X), and yes, there are iOS applications coming to your Mac.

tebruno99

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Apps are linked to your account

Noob-Question (new to Mac since Lion):

If I upgrade, will my purchases like Pages or other apps bought via AppStore etc. still be available on Mountain Lion, or do I have to pay again for it?

THX

Unlike other software vendors, Apple links your purchases to your Apple ID, not the machine they are installed on. Not only do you keep your purchases but you can install them on any computer you login to.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.16.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.16.26 PM.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.24.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.24.21 PM.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.24.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 9.24.26 PM.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

tebruno99

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012

Kernel updates occur all the time. They do not normally make the list of "features" in the consumer readable notes and marketing since only developers would really be able to understand. Its just normal life cycle stuff.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011

Are you John C. Dvorak?

jwaldrip

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Really?

I started using Mountain Lion about a month ago and aside from some of the compatibility issues with apps such as parallells and a couple of other unmentionables the features have been great. Although if you work for growl you probably hate apple right now. Their notification center is unobtrusive and gets the job done even better than growl did. Also now that all the apps on my mac match the ones on my phone and ipad (Notes, Reminders, etc) it makes life a lot easier. I wouldn't say update now if your not a developer but when the time comes I think there are a lot of very cool features shipping in the new version of OSX.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I started using Mountain Lion about a month ago and aside from some of the compatibility issues with apps such as parallells and a couple of other unmentionables the features have been great. Although if you work for growl you probably hate apple right now. Their notification center is unobtrusive and gets the job done even better than growl did. Also now that all the apps on my mac match the ones on my phone and ipad (Notes, Reminders, etc) it makes life a lot easier. I wouldn't say update now if your not a developer but when the time comes I think there are a lot of very cool features shipping in the new version of OSX.

The only problem is that notification center only works with Appstore apps :(

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011

You are right not many people do, it's a piss poor lion left overs release, and lion has been such a mixed bug (meant to say bag, so pun not intended!) of poor interface choices and paradigm updates with a few important core os functionalities added as a plus, and buggy up until .3... Well next time apple might take a bit more care to not tout a new os by virtue of a reminders and a notes app.

Last edited:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
i would LOVE if they decided to allow airplay mirroring to not only duplicate your display but also to extend it. that would be a killer feature in my book...it would let me watch full screen videos (read: hulu) on my TV while working on my computer at the same time.

I don't really see a technical or rational reason why they wouldn't allow it either. Fingers crossed that they put that in a future update

Yes, this would be great. AirParrot ( http://airparrot.com/ ) already does have an option to extend your desktop. Though that feature didn't work when I tried it with my Apple TV 3 yesterday. Also, after I installed their audio driver (to be able to stream audio), my MBP wouldn't go to sleep when I shut the lid. It's nice that there is a 3rd party solution, but I'm going to wait until Mountain Lion I think.

For video, I'd just want apps that can stream the video straight to the Apple TV (there is existing apps for this, but can't vouch for their stability), kind of like iOS does if you do just regular AirPlay without mirroring. Though AirPlay Mirroring may be necessary for things like Flash Player that may never work through normal AirPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.