Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
middi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Airplay Dual Monitors?

Just wondering if this has been discussed. I've searched and found nothing.

Do you reckon airplay will support dual monitors. I.e my macbook as desktop 1 and appletv as desktop 2?

that would be great just to sit on my desk and not have to plug in a wire to my macbook
middi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
peraevum
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by middi View Post
Just wondering if this has been discussed. I've searched and found nothing.

Do you reckon airplay will support dual monitors. I.e my macbook as desktop 1 and appletv as desktop 2?

that would be great just to sit on my desk and not have to plug in a wire to my macbook
I am very curious about this too. I usually plug my Macbook Air into the TV and use dual screen/dual monitor mode to play movies in the TV's native resolution. The new AirPlay feature in the upcoming Lion update would not be as cool if I had black side bars on the TV because it only did mirroring.

Anyone with the developer preview able to answer this question?
peraevum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by middi View Post
Just wondering if this has been discussed. I've searched and found nothing.

Do you reckon airplay will support dual monitors. I.e my macbook as desktop 1 and appletv as desktop 2?

that would be great just to sit on my desk and not have to plug in a wire to my macbook
i think they refer to it as Airplay mirroring, so im only guessing but wouldnt the TV with appleTV just mirror whats on your macbook display?
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
peraevum
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
i think they refer to it as Airplay mirroring, so im only guessing but wouldnt the TV with appleTV just mirror whats on your macbook display?
You are right. I just did some searching and found that there is no "extended" or dual desktop. You can, however, tell your Mac to match the resolution to the TV.

"Several options are displayed in when you hit the AirPlay menu bar icon as follows:

AirPlay mirroring off
AirPlay mirroring set to one of the Apple TV boxes in range
Match desktop size to AirPlay Device
Match desktop size to This Mac"


http://www.chriswrites.com/2012/03/h...mountain-lion/
peraevum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Jamie0003
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Send a message via AIM to Jamie0003 Send a message via MSN to Jamie0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie0003 Send a message via Skype™ to Jamie0003
Quote:
Originally Posted by peraevum View Post
You are right. I just did some searching and found that there is no "extended" or dual desktop. You can, however, tell your Mac to match the resolution to the TV.

"Several options are displayed in when you hit the AirPlay menu bar icon as follows:

AirPlay mirroring off
AirPlay mirroring set to one of the Apple TV boxes in range
Match desktop size to AirPlay Device
Match desktop size to This Mac"


http://www.chriswrites.com/2012/03/h...mountain-lion/
That's a massive shame, it makes the feature somewhat pointless if you like to use extended desktop via a cable.
__________________
iPhone 4S 16GB
Macbook Pro 13" 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5, 2011 model
TV 3
Jamie0003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie0003 View Post
That's a massive shame, it makes the feature somewhat pointless if you like to use extended desktop via a cable.
i don't think its "pointless" what were your options to display your mac on your tv before? you had to plug it in now you can do it wirelessly
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Jamie0003
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Send a message via AIM to Jamie0003 Send a message via MSN to Jamie0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie0003 Send a message via Skype™ to Jamie0003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
i don't think its "pointless" what were your options to display your mac on your tv before? you had to plug it in now you can do it wirelessly
Because I don't have a need to mirror what's on my mac, I want to use it as an extra screen as I only have a small screen (13").

You can do it with videos on iOS, so why not from the mac?
__________________
iPhone 4S 16GB
Macbook Pro 13" 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5, 2011 model
TV 3
Jamie0003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:32 PM   #8
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie0003 View Post
Because I don't have a need to mirror what's on my mac, I want to use it as an extra screen as I only have a small screen (13").

You can do it with videos on iOS, so why not from the mac?
can you explain what you can do on iOS
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Ricky Smith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Smith Send a message via MSN to Ricky Smith
You can't dual screen with iOS what are you smoking? It mirrors what shows on the iOS device.
__________________
Ricky Smith
Ricky Smith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Don't we already have a 3rd party app that does just that? It's like AirDisplay or something like that.
Tmelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Jamie0003
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Send a message via AIM to Jamie0003 Send a message via MSN to Jamie0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie0003 Send a message via Skype™ to Jamie0003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
You can't dual screen with iOS what are you smoking? It mirrors what shows on the iOS device.
That's not what i'm saying, you can send video on its own which is different to mirroring
__________________
iPhone 4S 16GB
Macbook Pro 13" 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5, 2011 model
TV 3
Jamie0003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Ricky Smith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Smith Send a message via MSN to Ricky Smith
And while that video is playing I'm pretty sure you can't do anything else
__________________
Ricky Smith
Ricky Smith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Any update if this feature is possible with the latest version of ML?

Dual monitors would be FANTASTIC!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
And while that video is playing I'm pretty sure you can't do anything else
On iOS you can. Not sure about ML
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:54 AM   #14
ungeziefer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Thumbs down Very disappointing

Yeah, I can't believe it only allows mirroring, not dual display. Had I realized this I probably would not have purchased Mountain Lion since this was the only reason I upgraded.

I find it hard to believe that something I can do with my (old) iPhone can't be done on a Mac.

Until they get this fixed I'll continue to use Air Video instead ( http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html ).

(And I can use Air Video with my old iMac with no problems. Whereas this new AirPlay feature works on my MacBook Pro only.)

Mirroring is still a cool new feature -- would be great for a PowerPoint/Keynote presentation or something like that. But if that's the only option, it's is of very limited use. Pretty disappointing.
ungeziefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
has anyone discovered any apps/workarounds to allow dual monitors using the apple tv and a Mac?
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple TV sound quality concern.Studio Monitors through AirPlay conceptmat Apple TV and Home Theater 25 Feb 27, 2014 01:16 AM
Dual Monitors? brolfsen MacBook Air 3 Feb 25, 2014 12:04 PM
Dual Monitors GeoffWillis Mac mini 4 Feb 4, 2013 05:19 PM
Dual monitors Yanksrox94 MacBook Pro 7 Sep 22, 2012 06:00 AM
Retnia MBP with THREE monitors dual 30" 2560*1600 ACD monitors and MBP @ 1920*1200! Redgr MacBook Pro 26 Jun 20, 2012 07:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC