Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
It doesn't even need to be "extremely heavy load" to prevent charging while plugged in. In my experience, any use of the new iPad while it is connected to the charger will prevent the battery from charging. It will maintain its current battery status without dropping under normal loads, but I have to leave my iPad alone before it starts to charge.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wtf is CR's beef with Apple?

They simply reported their findings in this case. I don't see what the issue is here?

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I noticed the charging problem. I'm going to call Ape and see what they say. I plugged my iPad into my computer during initial setup / syncing and noticed I actually lost 2% power in that hour.

If this is the case, I'll be returning mine!

That's not a charging problem. Computer USB can't supply 10W.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Laptops get much warmer than the new ipad, no problem for me there.

But the ability to both charge and use the ipad (in certain instances) is ridiculous for a product on its 3rd cycle like this.

Come on Apple

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Actually my MacBook Pro (2011 17" quad-core) does the same thing. During very heavy load it will not charge and actually drain the battery slowly. I've read on the MBP forums that this is normal, though obviously not ideal.

Always trade-offs. Apple could have included an even bigger battery or charger, but then even more weight. This is probably not a big deal for most iPad users.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Yes I posted this days ago in the iPad forum.

It will not charge under a heavy load.

The 10W charger is just not powerful enough. The Air uses a charger that is 4 times larger for a battery of near equal size.

Maybe they will issue a stronger charger, or maybe future iPads may have a MagSafe port for charging

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Not being able to charge under heavy load sucks. The heat thing is still a drama queen induced hysteria.

Apple will still sell millions :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I too wonder about a bigger charger—BUT, charging faster would generate more heat I believe. There’s always a trade off. Apple had to choose a balance, and maybe we’d like some other balance even less...

To really decide how “terrible” this “problem” is, a concrete definition of “heavy load” is needed. How often will a given user run into a time period where charging isn’t happening? And how long will that time typically last? How long, in other words, will they be using a load that is “heavy enough” to be an issue?

I noticed the charging problem. I'm going to call Ape and see what they say. I plugged my iPad into my computer during initial setup / syncing and noticed I actually lost 2% power in that hour.

If this is the case, I'll be returning mine!

Computers don’t always deliver the full power of Apple’s charger.

When I sync with my old white iMac, my iPad 2 doesn’t charge (nor does it lose all that much). There just isn’t sufficient power from the USB port.

Loss of 2% in an hour isn’t critical; it would take over 2 full days to drain, and your synch will be done long before that. I don’t think the issue you’re seeing is the “heavy load” issue, which would be seen in high-end games, for instance (and is kind of to be expected—physics is physics).

Clothesline5246

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
So stupid

Haha this is such a stupid story. The women that wont let her son touch one haha. Do people not realise Normal body temperature is about 37°C any way

AltvsOption

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Not trying to invoke the name of Jobs as an extreme, but I really don't think he would've tolerated all the compromises of this iPad. The larger thickness, the heat, the charging, all very "non-Apple".

Apple products have always stood head and shoulders above the rest because of little refinements that make the product simple and a joy to use. This iPad seems to take a step back from that.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Not trying to invoke the name of Jobs as an extreme, but I really don't think he would've tolerated all the compromises of this iPad. The larger thickness, the heat, the charging, all very "non-Apple".

Apple products have always stood head and shoulders above the rest because of little refinements that make the product simple and a joy to use. This iPad seems to take a step back from that.

You don't think so? So they came up with this design the day after he died?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Actually my MacBook Pro (2011 17" quad-core) does the same thing. During very heavy load it will not charge and actually drain the battery slowly. I've read on the MBP forums that this is normal, though obviously not ideal.

Always trade-offs. Apple could have included an even bigger battery or charger, but then even more weight. This is probably not a big deal for most iPad users.

It's been like that for a while with MacBook Pros - that's why on versions with a removable battery the clock speed drops if you run it without a battery in it

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

Honestly I agree with CR, both then and now. They were right to ding Apple for the antenna problems with the iPhone 4, and they are right to ding them for shipping a device where the battery drains even when you have it plugged in.

The "iPad 3" may be fantastic, but CR is pointing out valid concerns - concerns that have me waiting to buy the iPad 3 until these concerns are fleshed out a bit more.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The newer macbook pro's don't charge up while under heavy load.

But keeping it charged while under heavy load, like the ipad 3, prevents the battery's charge from dropping much.

It's a non-issue.

So by jury rigging or not using a device under some typical use cases - that makes it a non-issue. Ok.

I don't think it's a big issue. But it's not a non-issue. A non-issue implies that there's no issue. As in Zero. I think that's not accurate here.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPhone 4S also can't charge while playing IB2. Kind of surprised people consider this an issue for the iPad, it would never in a million years occur to me to use an iPad tethered.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, a consumer protection and info company taking on a company who markets its products as perfect and the best of the best despite the flaws. the nerve of consumer reports!

/rant.

back to the macrumors motto

NOTHING TO SEE HERE! ALL IS WELL!!!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It really surprised me that the new iPad came with a 10W Adapter instead of a 15W or even better a 20W Adapter.

A bigger battery does require a more powerful charger to avoid the inconvenience of not being able to charge while playing an intensive game.

Then again, isn't it very uncomfortable to play with the charger plugged in?
I've tried it, and it does get in the way.

EDIT: Don't put in between your legs while playing Infinity Blade II, if you plan to have kids some day.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California

If you wanted the thickness to stay the same then say goodbye to 9-10 hour battery usage. The heat and charge is an issue? Okay say good bye to the Retina display. The iPhone's retina display was much easier to design due to the amount of pixels it had relative to a retina display on the iPad.

People complain when Apple doesn't push new technology and when they do people complain about the tradeoffs.

Apple is an intuitive company. They do not make tradeoffs that hinder their devices, but they do make trade offs to push newer technology that works great. Also you fail to realize that Jobs was highly involved with the current iPad. Mass production started in early January, that means that testing and design refinements were near to an end around December. He may not have been working on it around the time of his death (early October), but you can be assured that he was involved on the project and was the one who urged for the retina display and LTE capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.