Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTether

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
There are two new hidden tethering applications in the iTunes App Store. One that's been up for a while is *Rock Paper Scissors* by JGF, the other one is called BSOD Reaction Time by Joseph Lerner. I can confirm that both of them work. Here's a video showing it in action for Rock Paper Scissors:

Here are the download links:

Rock Paper Scissors

BSOD

Here are the instructions for Rock Paper Scissors:
Download the app
Start the app
Press scissors, rock, paper, and then the upper left-hand corner of the screen to access the tethering screen
Next, go to your computer and set up an ad-hoc network
Connect your iPhone to that network and set a static IP Address of 13.37.13.37 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Now go back to the application and turn on tethering
On your computer, go to network settings and change the proxy settings
Put the SOCKS Proxy server as 13.37.13.37 and the port as 1080
And that's it!

Here are the instructions for BSOD:
Download the app
Start the app
Press the information button
Click on the text "Unexpected" in the lower right hand corner of the screen
Go back to the game
Press ctrl, alt, and then the upper left-hand corner of the screen to access the tethering screen
Next, go to your computer and set up an ad-hoc network
Connect your iPhone to that network and set a static IP Address of 13.37.13.37 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Now go back to the application and turn on tethering
On your computer, go to network settings and change the proxy settings
Put the SOCKS Proxy server as 13.37.13.37 and the port as 1080
And that's it!

Side Note:
This app will not share from iPhone to iPad, already tried :(
I've been using this app for over a week and have not received any calls from Verizon about my unlimited data tethering usage :)
The app does cost $2.99 :( Worth it if you need internet!
Hard to remember the combination sometimes, so I came up with this formula - Scissors rock, paper drops. :)
Someone made a script for connecting quickly
It appears both developers used this open-source proxy implementation in their apps. So you might be able to use the developers built-in connecting app to connect easily!

Last edited:

marcypark

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
It works. I just downloaded it. It is very similar to Handylight for those that remember that app. I still like Tether better even though you need to be connected via USB.

gumball981

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I have downloaded it, however each time I enter the port number and try to connect the application shuts down..any solutions?

iPodiPad

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I have the same problem as multifinder17, any way to fix this issue?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I have the same problem as multifinder17, any way to fix this issue?

It nearly works for me, but when I try and load anything on my Mac, the app on the iPhone crashes. Curious.

I have downloaded it, however each time I enter the port number and try to connect the application shuts down..any solutions?

I also have the same problem, good to know I'm not the only one. What device and iOS version do you guys have? I am iPhone 4S on 5.1 trying to tether to my Mac.

I'm going to try tethering to my PC to see if the problem is on the mac side.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
[app]*Rock Paper Scissors*[/app]

(As there are more than one app with about the same title... it's the forth app, counting in top left)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I also have the same problem, good to know I'm not the only one. What device and iOS version do you guys have? I am iPhone 4S on 5.1 trying to tether to my Mac.

I'm going to try tethering to my PC to see if the problem is on the mac side.

A MacBook Air on Lion (10.7.3) and an iPhone 4S on 5.1 here.

----------

I just tried it with my old MacBook running Snow Leopard - same result. I'm gonna reboot the little guy into Windows and see what happens there.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
These ad hock network tethering solutions suck. I have the handylight and never can get it to work. Thankfully I jailbroke so can just use tetherme to activate the personalized hotspot feature. That works great.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
A MacBook Air on Lion (10.7.3) and an iPhone 4S on 5.1 here.

----------

I just tried it with my old MacBook running Snow Leopard - same result. I'm gonna reboot the little guy into Windows and see what happens there.

Sounds like the problem is iOS5.1 hopefully the developer can sneak another update through apple though I doubt it.

I can't jailbreak my phone so I'm always trying to find better ways of tethering (carrier doesn't allow).

iTether

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
There's an update out, I've gotten messages from several people saying that it's fixed now for the people who are having trouble

snakesayan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Chicago
I'm reluctant on purchasing this.... No one here seems to know how to get it to work. ITether show us proof that it works! You seem to be the only one who's promoting this app. All comments on YouTube say it doesn't work as well as the comments on the AppStore.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I actually emailed the developer about the issue: no response.

I can confirm it doesn't work. Tried with numerous setuos even after the latest update to the app.

Its a scam. Mods should delete thus thread to ensure no one else falls victim.

iTether

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Doesn't work. The fact it's been in the iTunes app store so long is proof of that.
A real tethering app?
Not this one.

I can confirm that it works. I've updated the thread and made a video showing that it works.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
What you can tell us is that since April 28th when I made my observations here, you've fixed it and now it (possibly) works.

iTether

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
What you can tell us is that since April 28th when I made my observations here, you've fixed it and now it (possibly) works.

I did not fix anything, I just updated the post when other people said the update fixed their issues. And when I found out about the new app with it.

I don't understand (possibly). It does work. My video shows it working (and don't get me started about video editing, I don't know how to even get rid of the volume) :) It works, but I'm not forcing you to believe me, or buy the application, I'm merely informing you that these apps do tethering because I think it's cool and I think other people like me might find it cool. Whether you choose to buy them or not is up to you and your own digression. but they work and other people can confirm that they work.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
OK, well thank you for that, I suppose.
I did purchase your app, moments after it's release and mention here.

I'm a bit surprised that after many weeks, yours would be the only easter-egg tethering app that is public knowledge yet still in the App store.

You must also feel frustrated at all the one star reviews of other purchasers who suffer the same negative results as I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.