Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Macrumors should stop reporting use which starts with 'Some users'

This always means its a software issue.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I just love my TC... Never have an issue with it. So when I get an iPad, I should be worry free!

At the office I use a LinkSys router and I always have to reset it. What happened to LinkSys? My old WRT54G was rock solid...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I just love my TC... Never have an issue with it. So when I get an iPad, I should be worry free!

At the office I use a LinkSys router and I always have to reset it. What happened to LinkSys? My old WRT54G was rock solid...

It's a case of Apple stuff works best with err...Apple stuff. I have a virtually new Draytek gigabit cable router...Worked well, and has a satisfying array of antennae, but the TC with no aerials at all just works better. I used the Dratek with the TC at fiirst thinking it would be better at dealing with wifi than the TC...nope, the TC beats it up.

onomike

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Hawaii
My new iPad is wifi only and I never look at the bars. I just react based on the speed of loading web pages and email, and the ability of streaming content to load quickly and play without stuttering. To that extent, my new iPad is faster than my iPad 1 (probably expected due to better CPU/GPU) and even a bit faster than my iPhone 4s on wifi.

The wifi problems I've had at home have been due to Time Warner modems crapping out and/or needing to reset the router. I use an Airport Extreme and there is a specific order of operations to reset connections in the event of a power or cable outage. If I accidentally deviate from that order, I can get really poor or no wifi connectivity until I re-do the process.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
My new iPad has been randomly dropping my network connection while using wifi. It says I am still connected (with plenty of bars), but I have no internet connectivity whatsoever (all apps) until I toggle the wifi switch off and back on, at which point it starts working again. It can work fine for long periods of time, and then it will randomly stop working. And throughout this whole process, my iPhone is connecting through the same router with no issues, so it's not just a flaky router.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Wonder if any o these people who blame everything on Apple have tried to change the channel on their router? Example: from 11 to 3...

Maybe they're not as smart as you and dont know to do that. Your post would have been better if you just suggested it instead of implying they're stupid for not knowing. Real problem around here is posts like yours.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Are we really going to turn every individual issue into a headline? Just call the damn thing a defective flop that was rushed in production and doesn't work. Save us the wasted time and space of building these up and referencing earlier reports of other issues.

For weeks, we've had a new headline every time someone took a photo of a component that could, maybe be used in the new iPad. At least this is a genuine story - perhaps not a huge story - but at least a real one.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
My iPad 3's WiFi actually performs better than my iPad 2. I couldn't really use my iPad 2 in the back room of my house, yet the iPad 3 is fine.

This has been my experience as well, I was pleasantly surprised that my iPad 3 performed better than my 2. Maybe I had a bad 2? Joking.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
My new iPad is wifi only and I never look at the bars. I just react based on the speed of loading web pages and email, and the ability of streaming content to load quickly and play without stuttering. To that extent, my new iPad is faster than my iPad 1 (probably expected due to better CPU/GPU) and even a bit faster than my iPhone 4s on wifi.

The wifi problems I've had at home have been due to Time Warner modems crapping out and/or needing to reset the router. I use an Airport Extreme and there is a specific order of operations to reset connections in the event of a power or cable outage. If I accidentally deviate from that order, I can get really poor or no wifi connectivity until I re-do the process.

That's precisely what happens to me. Except I didn't try toggling Wi-Fi off and on and usually just wait around 5 minutes until it works again automatically.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's a case of Apple stuff works best with err...Apple stuff. I have a virtually new Draytek gigabit cable router...Worked well, and has a satisfying array of antennae, but the TC with no aerials at all just works better. I used the Dratek with the TC at fiirst thinking it would be better at dealing with wifi than the TC...nope, the TC beats it up.

I have a TC, too, and get a great wifi signal and it maximizes the speed available from my crummy Verizon router/modem.

I just can't remember who suggested that I get the TC, but I know he's someone on MR...so thanks, whoever.:rolleyes:

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
No Problem here and I too run a TC and a Extreme for extension in the whole house.
Never had any problems since I switched to all Apple gear.
Take that as you like.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
My Wifi here at NDSU sucks, but my iPad 3 is just fine with the routers, even while my MBP's service is hit or miss.

I'm going to assume that 9to5 mac is right here when they say it is a software problem.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
My new iPad has been randomly dropping my network connection while using wifi. It says I am still connected (with plenty of bars), but I have no internet connectivity whatsoever (all apps) until I toggle the wifi switch off and back on, at which point it starts working again. It can work fine for long periods of time, and then it will randomly stop working. And throughout this whole process, my iPhone is connecting through the same router with no issues, so it's not just a flaky router.

I was having the exact same issue, more at work than on my home Airport Extreme. The issue was solved by choosing Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

I upgraded from an iPad 2 (J/B on iOS 5.0.1), so I wonder if it was some wonky settings that came over when I restored from iCloud...

MacFetish

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Bad WiFi

Love my iPad 3 (64GB 4G) but the wifi reception is much worse than my iPad 1, including intermittently dropping the connection. I called Apple on Monday, and they've arranged a replacement.

For info, because this may be significant, I set it up as a new iPad and downloaded my Aps, etc. from the Cloud. Even purchased an extra Airport Express to increase the range of my wifi when I first started experiencing the issue. Definitely a real issue from me. Definitely not because I want to Apple bash.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Linksys routers overheat and hang, requiring to be restarted. It's been a problem for many years, and still is.
I had a couple and got Linksys to exchange it twice due to this same issue. Then I gave up, threw it away and bough a D-Link Gaming Router, which I gave to my father when I got an Apple Airport Extreme Dual Band, which has been my router since approximately 2008.

Don't place it above or below other devices that generate heat, and increase the distance from the surface it sits on, by using anything you can find.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
bah, is just interference people...

All the iOS devices I put next to my macbook connected to the same WIFI suffer from this, nothing new, nothing to write about really.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I only run my Airport Extreme at 10% power in my modest 700 sq. ft. place. No problems on 802.11n 5.4 GHz for me with "the new iPad".

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Recently, my Airport Extreme showed a green light constantly, but my internet would not load all pages all the time. I called Comcast and the fellow sent a refresh signal. That took care of the problem. Of course, I was using a Mac Pro that is connected via ethernet. And a couple of years ago I had switched the wires that had been connected incorrectly inside the Mac Pro (Airport and Bluetooth cables backwards).

My phone had problems with the WiFi at the same time.

Have the people with problems contacted their ISPs to see if that (temporary signal loss) might be a problem?

CharlotteRachel

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Fix iPad wifi troubles

This problem was really annoying, I couldn't live any longer with it. I have spent a lot of time on google, looking for a solution to this. At the end, I found a couple of reviews of Pong Research's cases, that convinced me into giving it a try. This special case, is built with an antennae in between layers of the back cover, which redirects and boosts the power of the signals and increases the range of the wifi antennae on the iPad. After getting one, I couldn't be happier with my new toy! This finally fixes my problem with the new iPad 3 poor wifi range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.