Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechRadar reports that Sony is bringing their Music Unlimited service to iOS devices "in the coming weeks".
"We will be launching our music service on iOS in the next few weeks," said Layden, who was speaking at the IP&TV World Forum with TechRadar in attendance.

"We want to be on as many devices for users who want to be part of Music Unlimited."
Music Unlimited is Sony's on-demand all you can listen to music service that costs $9.99 a month. Sony claims to have a global catalog of over 10 million songs that you can listen to on your computer, Android phone, Sony Enabled device, and soon, iOS device. They offer unlimited skips and no ads for the paid service.

musicunlimited.png

Perhaps most interesting is that on the Android version they've introduced offline playback. Users can download their Music Unlimited playlists to their devices and play them even without a wireless signal.

Article Link: Sony's 'Music Unlimited' On Demand Music Service Coming to iOS

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
I Don't Think So...

Since Apple does not allow apps with competing technologies or redundant services, I doubt this will happen.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
No thanks. I'll stick to buying per song or album. I don't need another monthly fee.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sweet. Its cheaper than Spotify as well. Wonder if it has more music than Spotify available.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Not once on their promotional site does it mention anything about quality, or even what specific format. Just quantity. Sony have been so wide of the mark with attempts to do digital music in the past, I'm not optimistic.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
10 bucks a month to listen to ONE label's catalog? Screw that.

Music Unlimited has more than Sony label. The library is similar to Spotify's (10 - 15 millions songs depending on whose articles you read, and which region I guess).

The main difference is MU now supports offline download to Android and PS Vita. I'm on the Premium 30 day trial now. I can download any song in the MU library by adding it to my offline playlist. I expect the iOS version to have offline download too.

They also have have a matching app that automatically find and create your online MU library by identifying the songs on your HDD (like iTunes Match). You can then listen to your library from Playstations (and PS Certified devices), Android and iOS.

EDIT: Yeah, it plays over PC and Mac web browsers also.

Last edited:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Funny to see all the comments about the service being overpriced - did you guys look at music videos? On PS3 you can get VidZone and watch an unlimited number of music videos for free. On Apple TV, you have to pay $1.99 for each one.

So I guess it's "Apple = music video fail".

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Music Unlimited has more than Sony label. The library is similar to Spotify's (10 - 15 millions songs depending on whose articles you read, and which region I guess).

The main difference is MU now supports offline download to Android and PS Vita. I'm on the Premium 30 day trial now. I can download any song in the MU library by adding it to my offline playlist. I expect the iOS version to have offline download too.

They also have have a matching app that automatically find and create your online MU library by identifying the songs on your HDD (like iTunes Match). You can then listen to your library from Playstations (and PS Certified devices), Android and iOS.

EDIT: Yeah, it plays over PC and Mac web browsers also.

Spotify already does all of this for the same price and a larger music catalog

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
Sony= Garbage

Sweet. Its cheaper than Spotify as well. Wonder if it has more music than Spotify available.

Spotify is $9.99/ month. After trying the NFL Ticket on a Sony and seeing my Dad go through issues with his Sony SXRD, and the entire hack scandal. I have no desire to ever give Sony any money. Their streaming services are terrible! PSN = Pure ***** Network!

Samsung > Sony in the TV industry
Canon > Sony in the Camera Industry
Xbox > Sony in the gaming industry

and the list goes on, I should start a boycott Sony website!

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Funny to see all the comments about the service being overpriced - did you guys look at music videos? On PS3 you can get VidZone and watch an unlimited number of music videos for free. On Apple TV, you have to pay $1.99 for each one.

So I guess it's "Apple = music video fail".

On VEVO's free app I can also watch unlimited, if I REALLY feel the need to watch music videos repeatedly. I'm old enough to be beyond that. Also, Apple's videos are permanent purchase, not a stream, so your comment = troll fail. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I guess this is good news. Now I have to decide if I want to keep my Zune Pass (which only works on my Xbox and not-working-at-the-moment WP7. Or resubscribe to this which works on my PS3, and now possibly iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.