Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Many people do not know this, but you do not need a computer to update your iPod touch 3rd or 4rth Generation under iOS 5.

Here is a simple short video on how to:

http://youtu.be/JoFit-qnihM

Did anyone had trouble updating to iOS 5.1?

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Many people know about this and many people do not. Not a bad reminder I guess for those who do not know or may have forgotten.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Instead of going into settings then software update. I'd like to receive push notifications for new updates.

Yes this has been mentioned time and time again.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Instead of going into settings then software update. I'd like to receive push notifications for new updates.

Yes this has been mentioned time and time again.

If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, your device should inform you of a new software update. It might take some time.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, your device should inform you of a new software update. It might take some time.

I got the message that that an update was available on my iPhone. I presume Apple waited for the load on the servers to die down before notifying those who hadn't done it.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I got the message that that an update was available on my iPhone. I presume Apple waited for the load on the servers to die down before notifying those who hadn't done it.

I'm all about trying to slam there servers

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012

Yup. When it first came out, you couldn't even download it OTA for at least the first few hours. I managed to update my non-developer iPad, but only about 18 hours after iOS 5.1 was out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.