Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Is it just because many of them may be of Asian descent that we view them with such disgust? Or is it jealousy, because we didn't make a buck ourselves.

I think it has little to do with their ethnicity or us not making money by reselling the iPads. Instead it's probably because many of us feel the scalpers really jammed the lines and made the shortage worse, blocking out many of the would-be sincere buyers who just wanted to buy the device to actually use them instead of trying to "make a buck".

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Glad the "resellers" aren't making a profit. What they do (did?) should be illegal.

You can't police it, if somebody wants something that's not available then people will pay over the odds for it. If Apple keep stock levels for future releases as good as this then the problem should go away naturally.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Love it. Hope these scammers wasted scores of hours and cried in frustration.

They didn't. They had other folks do it for them. Just like they have other folks stand in line and make the purchases.

I'm not shocked by this outcome really. Apple rolled out the iPad faster which reduces the window for folks to turn to resellers in the first place. Add to this the whole tax thing and Chinese customs having a vested interest in being aware of iPad shipments thanks to all the Proview stuff which could result in them having to turn away all iPads in the near future. The doom was inevitable

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I bought two and returned one because i preordered due to the fiasco that was the ipad 2 launch. Turned out supply was ample so i bought one from bestbuy since i have a $170 gift card and then returned the preordered one to apple when it arrived.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
... if somebody wants something that's not available ...

I think the general contempt for scalpers is they are part of the reason an item is not available. The are (or were) exacerbating a shortage that they then turned around to fill. It's like the fire department going around starting fires.

Last edited:

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
well, they've been cranking out iPads since Christmas. Building up a supply so the resellers don't take their profits.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Now hopefully Apple will do this again for the next iPhone. I honestly would love to see the launch lines go away because people are afraid they might have to wait weeks to get one.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
It's amazing how ignorant some people are. The resellers are simply taking part in capitalism. It's what the U.S economy is based on. All companies do it. Buy things at one price, sell them at a higher price, make a profit. The resellers do nothing wrong. They wait in line, they use real money, they find workers to wait in line, they (presumably) pay them to do so. They find buyers, they pay expenses, they make a profit. Sound familiar? Is it just because many of them may be of Asian descent that we view them with such disgust? Or is it jealousy, because we didn't make a buck ourselves. Stop being such hypocrites. Don't you think Apple uses its muscle to buy up parts and get cheap prices for labor and other things to raise their profit margin? What's the difference?
Exploiting a supply shortage to turn a quick profit isn't capitalism. It is scalping, and it's borderline fraud.

Sakic10

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I'm going to be anti-these guys as well.

Being familiar with scalpers from last years Stanley Cup Finals, it's a joke.

Yes people are stupid for buying from them, but really Apple is stupid for selling to them. Who needs 5 iPads? Should be 1 per I.D.

Then the scalpers would actually have to wait in line instead of hiring homeless guys or using their dirtbag workers.

JDB1983

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
Resellers are doing nothing illegal.

It's called 'capitalism' and 'a free market'.

This is what the USA spends so long bitching about having more of... or does that only apply to large multinationals?

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
I'm going to be anti-these guys as well.

Being familiar with scalpers from last years Stanley Cup Finals, it's a joke.

Yes people are stupid for buying from them, but really Apple is stupid for selling to them. Who needs 5 iPads? Should be 1 per I.D.

Then the scalpers would actually have to wait in line instead of hiring homeless guys or using their dirtbag workers.

It's 2 per credit card.

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Lol but this is still amazing. If u look at the other side of the story. How a company can launch a global demand for an item. Apple!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I love this. i dealt with madness last year because of scalpers. Good riddance. I wish it was 1 iPad return per day per customer make them work to get their money back.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Had the same problems this year. Last year buying dozens of iPads a day making $500-$1000 per day for two weeks and this year I still have inventory and will be lucky to break even.

Picture0003.jpg

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Lol I love it, if only they had a policy of no returns when buying more than 10 or at the very least a restocking fee.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Resellers are doing nothing illegal.

It's called 'capitalism' and 'a free market'.

This is what the USA spends so long bitching about having more of... or does that only apply to large multinationals?

I don't think anyone said it was illegal but it is a scummy thing to do, you're essentially doing it off of someone else's business (apple), I don't think thats anything to be proud of.

JDB1983

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
I don't think anyone said it was illegal but it is a scummy thing to do, you're essentially doing it off of someone else's business (apple), I don't think thats anything to be proud of.

'That's business'... Someone's gotta get screwed somewhere

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Tim Cook rose in Apple as a supply chain GENIUS. Scalpers should've given up on that game as soon as he became CEO.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
I'll be honest, I bought one to sell on eBay, but the re-sell prices were low. Kept it for myself instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.