Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's amazing how ignorant some people are. The resellers are simply taking part in capitalism. It's what the U.S economy is based on. All companies do it. Buy things at one price, sell them at a higher price, make a profit.

Absolutely untrue. The idea is that you do something of value and get paid for that. Scalpers don't do anything of value, they are purely parasites. That's why people have as much sympathy for a scalper as they have for a bandworm.

I think Apple should have changed their terms of sales to allow returns only for items bought for private use.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
If Apple only allows two iPads per customer they should have that same return policy that when one person walks in to store to return two iPads they can only return a max of two. That would be perfect, then the resellers can eat the other 30 that they bought.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
I only wish that anyone who bought to resell, would have been subject to a restocking fee.
I know it isn't "illegal" but IMO reselling like that is unethical. I hope future launches will also have this "over supply", and these resellers will not feel the need to buy a product at full retail, and then try to sell it to someone who was unable to get one on launch day and take advantage of limited supply.

No one forced people to pay hundreds over retail for the products in the past... they all did it willingly, but they might have been able to get one at retail price had these resellers not bought more than they needed with the sole purpose of reselling them at a profit just because they got in line first.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Not going to lie I sold the iPad 2 for a profit, and then bought another one. I actually wanted it for myself but saw how high demand was, so just had to sell it. Made up the difference from selling the iPad 1 so I came out happy.

antseg

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
New Jersey
Resellers take advantage of the excess demand for the products. When Apple supplies the right/more than the right amount of product, then there is no market for resellers.

Also, when other countries beef up restrictions, the cost of selling these products (along with the risk of damages if one is broken) doesn't make it worthwhile for these resellers to stay in business.

I say it's about time. I understand that there's nothing illegal about what resellers are doing and honestly feel it's their prerogative if they want to make money off of ripping people off, but I love that Apple has finally found a way to meet the (extreme) demand for it's product. People who want the good on the first day can get it, and people who want to wait can walk into most stores and get one.

But I hope the campouts for products still continue. It's something cool for Apple products, and I want to be a part of the one for the new iPhone/Macbook Pro simply because I love the atmospheres. Campers, don't stop!

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Absolutely untrue. The idea is that you do something of value and get paid for that. Scalpers don't do anything of value, they are purely parasites. That's why people have as much sympathy for a scalper as they have for a bandworm.

I think Apple should have changed their terms of sales to allow returns only for items bought for private use.

Well I think they do something of value. They're providing a service. Scalpers sell their ability to get up early and line up at lines before many people to someone who either doesn't have the time or wasn't able to get there early enough.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's amazing how ignorant some people are. The resellers are simply taking part in capitalism. It's what the U.S economy is based on. All companies do it. Buy things at one price, sell them at a higher price, make a profit.

Paying people to get in line before people who want to buy product at the regular price at the back of the line is considered so unfair by the general public than many jurisdictions have laws against scalping tickets. Just because it's far too hard for the authorities to arrest people doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered illegal by others.

Cinematic

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
East Coast
iPad 3: the Forgotten Realms of Apple Product

Sure, Legends made individual resellers a mint, but like many I ended up with packs of Forgotten Realms for more than a decade. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well I think they do something of value. They're providing a service. Scalpers sell their ability to get up early and line up at lines before many people to someone who either doesn't have the time or wasn't able to get there early enough.

How is that a service? Did anybody ask for it? I suggest that everybody stuck in a queue with a scalper should offer them the service of not getting punched in the face for a payment of $100, or as an alternative to piss off.

LMAO! 66 downrankings all because of the use of the word 'Android' on an Apple forum.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure Apple made sure this time around that iPad 3rd Generation will be available to everyone.. Scalpers suck :p

I remember seeing some people selling them for as much as $750 for the 16GB Wifi version..

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Supply and demand.

Glad to see that Apple has been able to supply the demand. No more crazy prices from resellers. Hopefully they can make it happen with iPhone 5 too.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
How is that a service? Did anybody ask for it? I suggest that everybody stuck in a queue with a scalper should offer them the service of not getting punched in the face for a payment of $100, or as an alternative to piss off.

People are exchanging time for money. Say that someone's working and doesn't have the time to take the day off and go line up. Thus, demand is created. Also, people who weren't able to get up early enough but feel like they must have the product on launch day constitute the demand too.

If there wasn't demand, scalpers would just quit. The sale of the iPad is a perfect example. Because Apple was able to distribute its products efficiently, scalpers made nothing.

Exploiting a supply shortage to turn a quick profit isn't capitalism. It is scalping, and it's borderline fraud.
Not sure about the fraud part. Care to clarify?

But it IS capitalism and economics. Anytime there's a supply shortage, the item being sold is not being priced high enough. If companies price, let's say, the first 500000 of their products lower than what the first 500000 customers are willing to pay for it, then some market force will naturally try to correct this and reach the equilibrium price.

Last edited:

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
LMAO! 66 downrankings all because of the use of the word 'Android' on an Apple forum.

That is sad.

Thanks for conveniently not mentioning the post two spots above that ridiculous "Android" post has even more down rankings even though it doesn't have the word 'Android' in it. That post got down ranked because it was a terrible troll post, not because Macrumors users are bunch of Apple fanboys who downrank everything Android.

Nice strawman to make it an Apple vs Android thing. That is just sad. The word "objectivism" doesn't mean you have to blindly hate Apple you know.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Is this activity illegal? No. Should it be illegal? No.

Does that mean it's right? Also no.

Apple, like any other business in the US, reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. They should have exercised that right more often in the past. It's clear who the scalpers are. I'm sure that store managers and staff were able to identify them but simply weren't given the proper authority to send them to the back of the line.

The apparently proper handling of the supply chain this time around seems to have resolved the issue however. These scalpers did have to pay people to stand in line. Even if they're returning the items for a full refund, they are taking a loss.

As for those saying that scalping is "Just Capitalism", you are misinformed. An entity that is not a consumer of a product, or its producer, does not have an inherent right to disrupt the steady supply of said product between the actual producer and the intended consumer.

That said, if the producer of the product doesn't act to secure their intended distribution channel, one can hardly blame the scalper for acting in his or her own self interest.

Clearly, a properly supplied distribution chain is the most effective way to eliminate the disruption caused by scalpers, which Apple has now done. Hopefully though, they won't be afraid to put a stop to those behaviors if they happen for future product launches.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Resellers are doing nothing illegal.

It's called 'capitalism' and 'a free market'.

This is what the USA spends so long bitching about having more of... or does that only apply to large multinationals?

Scalping is a crime in most US states.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The people that buy electronics just to turn around and resell them, instead of getting a real job are completely pathetic! Glad the game is over. Loving my new iPad btw! :D

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

LOL oh that is so sweet of them...:rolleyes:

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
What they are doing is not exactly representative of capitalism and a "free market." Stop saying that. When enough resellers buy in large enough quantities, they are artificially inflating the market price. They are also not doing what "large, multinationals" do. Companies (most, like Apple) are actually providing a service or product that they have made by combining other components. These resellers and scalpers are just taking one product, inflating its price, and trying to sell it to someone else by constraining supply below demand. It's not legally wrong. Whether or not it's morally okay is up to you. They are, after all, just seizing an opportunity to make money.

However, kudos to Apple for having the supply to meet demand. It would stink to pay more than msrp.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
The people that buy electronics just to turn around and resell them, instead of getting a real job are completely pathetic! Glad the game is over. Loving my new iPad btw! :D

isnt this what companies do? buy things and then resale them? who do yu work for?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.