Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Hey,

I just managed to get Skyrim to play on my Mac.

Although I have a couple of problems, it will only work on 1024x768 not anything above which is frustrating having a 2560x1440 screen.

In addition, I really want to be able to use my PS3 controller to play it - I just cannot get on with mouse and keyboard controls. So any help on how to connect it up to use would be great.

(I have my controller connected and can use it for games I have purchased through the app store and even with my pcsx2 emulator)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just a suggestion, but why not use an Xbox controller? They make windows compatible versions.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
anyone try the new high res texture pack that came out? how deos it run on the 6750m 1gb?

I'm using it on the computer I built last summer with a 6870 (1 GB). There is a definite performance hit for me, even without any other mods installed. It's not unplayable, but definitely not smooth.

However, I have tweaked my ini settings quite a bit for higher graphics so I'm sure that is greatly affecting my fps.

If you don't mind a >3 GB download, then I'd recommend giving it a try. The new textures don't look perfect, but they are much nicer than before.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
I'm using it on the computer I built last summer with a 6870 (1 GB). There is a definite performance hit for me, even without any other mods installed. It's not unplayable, but definitely not smooth.

However, I have tweaked my ini settings quite a bit for higher graphics so I'm sure that is greatly affecting my fps.

If you don't mind a >3 GB download, then I'd recommend giving it a try. The new textures don't look perfect, but they are much nicer than before.

Have you thought about adding a 2nd 6870? They're cheap at the moment and it would give you a great performance boost. I'm running Skyrim on OC'd Xfired 6850's and it screams with every HD mod from the Nexus I can find.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
Have you thought about adding a 2nd 6870? They're cheap at the moment and it would give you a great performance boost. I'm running Skyrim on OC'd Xfired 6850's and it screams with every HD mod from the Nexus I can find.

I've definitely considered it, but after a little testing I found that by turning multisampling down from 8x to 2x doubled my fps. So, problem solved for now, and I have to really look hard to notice the difference.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Does the PC version of Skyrim running under Bootcamp allow the use of a 360 wireless controller ?

I have the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I've set up my G13 and along with my Razr Naga gaming mouse I now have many buttons that can all be reached without looking. Since I'm a spell sword type character with conjuring as my main attack, I need to cycle between at least three spells (conjure something to fight for me, an attack spell, and a heal spell). Ideally I would also sometimes throw on a protection spell. At the same time, I have to be attacking with my sword. This can all be done with the 8 hotkeys they give us. However, mixing in any potions is a pain and basically I just go into the item menu, get to the potion list, find my various potions and drink them. It is basically a time out for the fight. Same thing if I want to poison my sword.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've set up my G13 and along with my Razr Naga gaming mouse I now have many buttons that can all be reached without looking. Since I'm a spell sword type character with conjuring as my main attack, I need to cycle between at least three spells (conjure something to fight for me, an attack spell, and a heal spell). Ideally I would also sometimes throw on a protection spell. At the same time, I have to be attacking with my sword. This can all be done with the 8 hotkeys they give us. However, mixing in any potions is a pain and basically I just go into the item menu, get to the potion list, find my various potions and drink them. It is basically a time out for the fight. Same thing if I want to poison my sword.

Yep, -5 for Bethesda. They should have allowed for more flexibility in pulling up these kinds of items.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've only gotten frustrated one time in Skyrim and that is regarding marriage. What a joke. You get married based on zero relationship, possibly doing the person a favor, then when you speak to them, first thing they ask is "Are you interested in me?" You say "yes", get married, and after wards your spouse has literally nothing to say to you and absolutely no spousal interaction to speak of, not even chores! Why did they even bother? I would have liked some dialog, or even a spouse quest chain! :) I mean it's still a good game, but this is a disappointment. If you want to read more, see my Skyrim Journal on this subject.

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I've only gotten frustrated one time in Skyrim and that is regarding marriage. What a joke. You get married based on zero relationship, possibly doing the person a favor, then when you speak to them, first thing they ask is "Are you interested in me?" You say "yes", get married, and after wards your spouse has literally nothing to say to you and absolutely no spousal interaction to speak of, not even chores! Why did they even bother? I would have liked some dialog, or even a spouse quest chain! :) I mean it's still a good game, but this is a disappointment. If you want to read more, see my Skyrim Journal on this subject.

Maramal the priest of Mara: "Typically, love in Skyrim is as earnest as the people who live here. Life is hard and short, so there is little room for long courtships."

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Maramal the priest of Mara: "Typically, love in Skyrim is as earnest as the people who live here. Life is hard and short, so there is little room for long courtships."

No short courtships either. "Hey stranger, I have money and standing. I spend all my time wandering Skyrim. Every so often I'll come home for a meal. Wanna get hitched??" ;)

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
No short courtships either. "Hey stranger, I have money and standing. I spend all my time wandering Skyrim. Every so often I'll come home for a meal. Wanna get hitched??" ;)

Meal and bed. That "Lover's Comfort" is very special.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone running into issues with Skyrim hard freezes/crashes? After I've played 124 hours, this is what I'm seeing now every so often, just enough to be annoying. I'm giving the 1.4 beta patch (that just came out in mid March) a shot. Beta patch participation is turned on in Steam under Steam>Settings>Account. And I believe if you decide to go back to the pre-beta patch, turning off beta participation makes the game reload the version prior to any beta patch.

Interesting enough it seems that I remember this kind of issue for some players with Oblivion.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Anyone running into issues with Skyrim hard freezes/crashes? After I've played 124 hours, this is what I'm seeing now every so often, just enough to be annoying. I'm giving the 1.4 beta patch (that just came out in mid March) a shot. Beta patch participation is turned on in Steam under Steam>Settings>Account. And I believe if you decide to go back to the pre-beta patch, turning off beta participation makes the game reload the version prior to any beta patch.

Interesting enough it seems that I remember this kind of issue for some players with Oblivion.

No problems for me. I'm actually impressed how rock-solid Skyrim runs on my Mac Pro - even with dozens of mods installed. New Vegas used to crash quite often after I installed a couple of mods, but I can't rememder Skyrim ever crashing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No problems for me. I'm actually impressed how rock-solid Skyrim runs on my Mac Pro - even with dozens of mods installed. New Vegas used to crash quite often after I installed a couple of mods, but I can't rememder Skyrim ever crashing.

I've loaded the beta patch and so far so good! :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Anyone here tried the Zombie Apocalypse mod? I have and it's great fun, it creates 6,000 zombies that roam Skyrim attacking anything on sight. These things are everywhere.

ScreenShot16.jpg

It also makes Zombie Slayers that roam around and try to take down the zombies, along with Town Defenders. One bug I have noticed is that the Zombie Slayers tend to end up fighting the Town Defenders.

ScreenShot17.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.