Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's the guy! I think there was a conversation where you can volunteer to "break" him out of prison, or try diplomacy. I said diplomacy, but I don't know how to do it; plus it's annoying how suddenly you can fail that mission without any warning. You still have the option to break him out by force though!

Hmm. I remember spoiler>Thorald's brother Rufus (whatever the name) wanted to come along. I told him to stay back and I'd take care of it. When I appeared at the location where they were holding him, I tried to walk in and was told in no uncertain terms to get the hell out. Now if I had snuck in would I have been given a diplomacy option? I don't know. Once they told me to FO, I waded right sparks a fly'n. :):)<end spoiler. Trying to remember where the diplomacy choice was offered...

Edit:
Had the name wrong. Fixed Thorald not Thalmore. :)

Last edited:

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

TurboMoses said:
Combat option seems more fun anyway. Thalmor are fun to kill :)

I'm with ya on that one. I never liked the Thalmor so any chance to kill then I took full advantage of that. :) they always seemed so stuck up and pretentious...

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm with ya on that one. I never liked the Thalmor so any chance to kill then I took full advantage of that. :) they always seemed so stuck up and pretentious...

Thalmor remind me of the medieval inquisition.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I've played this game for around 30 hours... and I must say, it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

After completing many missions, I feel as if I am doing the same again and again. And I'm not really seeing how my actions define the game, aside from the obvious decisions.

I know that what most people like about this game is how you can explore at your pace and do whatever you like, but for me I think I prefer games that have a more straight storyline, without so many side missions.

More like Zelda or Final Fantasy.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Anyways, way more to the above. But even with all my rambling, I do agree with your points. I never had guides or the option uber-death weapons on the games I played back when I was younger, but on the other hand I had way more time to play games and figure them all out on my own.

There was also a lot less in those games to do and figure out. Without a guide there is no way you would find all the stuff that was hidden in Oblivion and I suspect the same is true for Skyrim. I may not get a guide, because I do think of it them sort of as cheating, at least until I'm most of the way through the main quest and then only to see if there are some interesting side quests that I've missed. The guide is definitely necessary to complete a game like Oblivion or Skyrim, but I may tire of the game before I want to. I certainly had stuff left undone in Oblivion, but by the time I completed the main quest and the Mage Guild quest, I was so powerful nothing could really stand in my way and there didn't seem to be that much fun in playing anymore.

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009

HarryPot said:
I've played this game for around 30 hours... and I must say, it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

After completing many missions, I feel as if I am doing the same again and again. And I'm not really seeing how my actions define the game, aside from the obvious decisions.

I know that what most people like about this game is how you can explore at your pace and do whatever you like, but for me I think I prefer games that have a more straight storyline, without so many side missions.

More like Zelda or Final Fantasy.

In your case since you don't care for all the side quest then why not just focus on the main story line and guilds? Main story, Companions, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood all have very good storylines that can be enjoyed. Those quest lines alone will last you 30+ hours.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Show me a game that does not require doing basically the same thing over and over. :) For a dungeon crawler, this game has some of the most outstanding dungeons I've ever had the pleasure to explore. As far as actions affecting the game, pick Stormcloaks or Imperials and you'll find groups of in-game characters acting differently towards you.

Last edited:

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Show me a game that does not require doing basically the same thing over and over. :)

Quite true.:)

Yet, for example, I loved Final Fantasy X. And I had to do the same over and over and over again! But, the story was straightforward, there were many side missions, but the main story was so well crafted, that playing the game was an engaging experience.

In Zelda (at least the one I played when I was little, the Ocarina of Time), you did the same again and again, and there were also some side missions, but the central story felt much more intriguing.

In Skyrim I feel as if the main story isn't that well crafted. As if it is just another side mission, just longer. But, that's me. And I've got to accept, the game is very well done. And I agree with you, it is outstanding.

EDIT: Just another game came to mind. Grand Theft Auto series. It's quite similar to Skyrim, a different setting, but the main idea is the same. I can't explain quite precisely why I like that game better than Skyrim, it might have something do be with how simple the game is, and yet the ways you can interact with the city are huge.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quite true.:)

Yet, for example, I loved Final Fantasy X. And I had to do the same over and over and over again! But, the story was straightforward, there were many side missions, but the main story was so well crafted, that playing the game was an engaging experience.

In Zelda (at least the one I played when I was little, the Ocarina of Time), you did the same again and again, and there were also some side missions, but the central story felt much more intriguing.

In Skyrim I feel as if the main story isn't that well crafted. As if it is just another side mission, just longer. But, that's me. And I've got to accept, the game is very well done. And I agree with you, it is outstanding.

EDIT: Just another game came to mind. Grand Theft Auto series. It's quite similar to Skyrim, a different setting, but the main idea is the same. I can't explain quite precisely why I like that game better than Skyrim, it might have something do be with how simple the game is, and yet the ways you can interact with the city are huge.

I don't begrudge you, your opinion. They are all valid. :)

Being a magic oriented person that I am, I started thinking the College of Winterhold Quest was the main quest, lol. There is an evil Thalmor in residence there. :) The main things I see going on (as has been mentioned), is The Eye of Magnus at the College, The Appearance of Dragons in Skyrim, what could be causing them, and obtaining the Voice. They all intertwine quite nicely. And at L24 or so, I am starting to run into bad ass opponents that are difficult to defeat, especially this Drauger Lord in the Labyrinthian with a one-shot-kill bow and arrow. With lots of running away, I finally did kill him with help from my friends.

When I played Oblivion, I used heavy armor and I could take a beating. Here I'm using mostly magical garb and can't take a physical beating. I'd be lost without my two helpers.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I don't begrudge you, your opinion. They are all valid. :)

Being a magic oriented person that I am, I started thinking the College of Winterhold Quest was the main quest, lol. There is an evil Thalmor in residence there. :) The main things I see going on (as has been mentioned), is The Eye of Magnus at the College, The Appearance of Dragons in Skyrim, what could be causing them, and obtaining the Voice. They all intertwine quite nicely. And at L24 or so, I am starting to run into bad ass opponents that are difficult to defeat, especially this Drauger Lord in the Labyrinthian with a one-shot-kill bow and arrow. With lots of running away, I finally did kill him with help from my friends.

When I played Oblivion, I used heavy armor and I could take a beating. Here I'm using mostly magical garb and can't take a physical beating. I'd be lost without my two helpers.

I end up playing two games at once. One being a magic base char and the other being a stealth archer based. Two very different playing styles. I will say that enchanting and smiting are very broken in this game.

Free destruction for my magic char which can stun lock easily and I will bring in two demon loads to be my meat sacks if need be. Biggest problem I have with that char is well the lack of umm health and a rather poor caring capacity. That and I only can get an armor of around 300ish. Can take on a fire based dragons. I just stand there and let them attack me but then again I am 95% restant to fire.

Archer on the other hand it is pretty broken when I do not even have the top bow yet and already dealing out a 100 based damage.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I end up playing two games at once. One being a magic base char and the other being a stealth archer based. Two very different playing styles. I will say that enchanting and smiting are very broken in this game.

Free destruction for my magic char which can stun lock easily and I will bring in two demon loads to be my meat sacks if need be. Biggest problem I have with that char is well the lack of umm health and a rather poor caring capacity. That and I only can get an armor of around 300ish. Can take on a fire based dragons. I just stand there and let them attack me but then again I am 95% restant to fire.

Archer on the other hand it is pretty broken when I do not even have the top bow yet and already dealing out a 100 based damage.

I much prefer the alchemy, enchanting, and spell crafting in Oblivion. (Spell crafting is non-existent in Skyrim.) I'm whipping out some potions, but I don't feel like I am nearly as effective as I was in the previous Elder Scrolls. I'm enchanting but I have yet to create anything impressive.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I much prefer the alchemy, enchanting, and spell crafting in Oblivion. (Spell crafting is non-existent in Skyrim.) I'm whipping out some potions, but I don't feel like I am nearly as effective as I was in the previous Elder Scrolls. I'm enchanting but I have yet to create anything impressive.

I never got into the spell crafting in oblivion but I wish they had it in skyrim. Skyrim suffers from dumbing down and in someway things got really broken. Pay a little pain earlier on in builds the end builds are massively over powered.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I never got into the spell crafting in oblivion but I wish they had it in skyrim. Skyrim suffers from dumbing down and in someway things got really broken. Pay a little pain earlier on in builds the end builds are massively over powered.

I admit that through spell crafting I had incredibly powerful spells, a single spell that would destroy health, stamina, magic, pull their pants down and spank them on the behind... ;)

In Oblivion, I had a highly developed toon, but as I recall mobs were challenging me even in the Shivering Isles.

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Finally, patch 1.4 is available now. And I have returned to this game. If you think enchanting and smiting are very broken in this game(which is true), you can delete the save, start a new run and do not spend any time on them. That is what I did and enjoyed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finally, patch 1.4 is available now. And I have returned to this game. If you think enchanting and smiting are very broken in this game(which is true), you can delete the save, start a new run and do not spend any time on them. That is what I did and enjoyed.

If I read this right, what happened in the patch that made you return? Does your second comment about broken smithing and "delete the save" have anything to do with the patch? Just wondering.

I just finished the Black Star Quest and am pondering a moral dilemma. Does gathering a soul for the purpose of enchanting an object, destroy that soul or hopefully just borrow it for a while? I guess, up to this point, I've not thought about it too much and I really don't want to be destroying souls even in a game. It seems inherently evil.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Why are people saying they're "very broken"? Is there some bug in enchanting/smithing, or is it just designed to work differently than you'd like?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I finally finished Skyrim!

It took me 112 hours and I did all side quests (as far as I know) and it was a great run.

The game was too easy in the end. I just was too powerful and the final battle was much easier than the first time I killed a mammoth or a dragon.
Might have been because I did so many quests that I had out leveled the game.

The game had many bugs. I did conquer Solitude with help from Ulfric Stormcloak and he was stuck outside Solitude for the entire game (He was in Windhelm too), the funny thing is that he did hold the speech in Solitude too, but for some reason he was outside too (so I actually have two of him).

This caused me a few issues with further quests to Solitude, but with help of console I manage to finish the quests so I could continue.

Overall a great game, and I'm sure if I started again with the newest patches it might not have happened. (I started with stock 1.0 build and updated three times along the way, so something in my saves might have broken along the way).

A much better RPG than Oblivion, which I've tried to play a few times, but have given up after a few hours of game play due to clunky interface and bad gameplay.

I still think Witcher 2 was the best RPG in 2011, but Skyrim a good number 2!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I still think Witcher 2 was the best RPG in 2011, but Skyrim a good number 2!

Thanks for the Skyrim report! I've not played Witcher2, but if it is like the orig Witcher, I prefer Oblivion/Skyrim just because I don't like invisible walls which Witcher has.

Regarding my comment about souls and enchanting, I found this helpful post in my guild forum:

Well metaphysically theoretically speaking - souls gems only strip away and capture the soul energy, which really only serves to empower and bind the soul to this or that plane of existence while it is there. Therefore at the time of binding the soul is released from this plane and only it's energy is harvested. Otherwise enchanted items would exhibit at least some aspects of the soul inside them and there would no doubt be magical means to revive or at least identify or communicate with item bound trapped souls. There appears to be no known record or evidence of such magics.

Malyn Varen genius or 'evil' was in devising a means of sending his soul itself into the deadric artifact and was stealing victims soul energy to sustain himself inside of the Star and preventing his current incarnation from 'moving on'. Without repeating Malyn's work the Star only functions like a normal soul gem, harvesting the accumulated energy of a soul as it departs this plane of existence - however being a deadric artifact it is not destroyed in the enchanting process.

At least that's what I tell myself to sleep at night.

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
If I read this right, what happened in the patch that made you return? Does your second comment about broken smithing and "delete the save" have anything to do with the patch? Just wondering.

I just finished the Black Star Quest and am pondering a moral dilemma. Does gathering a soul for the purpose of enchanting an object, destroy that soul or hopefully just borrow it for a while? I guess, up to this point, I've not thought about it too much and I really don't want to be destroying souls even in a game. It seems inherently evil.

I was playing call of duty modern warfare 3. The 1.4 patch news has brought me back to Skyrim. Enchanting and smiting are too powerful and potentially broken my first run. I maxed enchanting and smiting both. My level jumped high in so short time and the enchanted equipment was much better than all artifacts could be found in the game. Too powerful and so boring. So I deleted the save and restarted the game. No enchanting, no smiting, no alchemy this time, only wear ordinary steel plate armor and hang round in Skyrim. Now I enjoy this game more.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was playing call of duty modern warfare 3. The 1.4 patch news has brought me back to Skyrim. Enchanting and smiting are too powerful and potentially broken my first run. I maxed enchanting and smiting both. My level jumped high in so short time and the enchanted equipment was much better than all artifacts could be found in the game. Too powerful and so boring. So I deleted the save and restarted the game. No enchanting, no smiting, no alchemy this time, only wear ordinary steel plate armor and hang round in Skyrim. Now I enjoy this game more.

I've been enchanting and alchemy-ing. For me it's a sideline. I've not gone crazy with it, and so far I've enchanted a couple of items that have some helpful magical reinforcement qualities, but has not turned me into Superman. In the Labyrinthian, Lost Valkygg section, I ran into a Drauger Death Lord with a one-shot kill bow. It was not that fun fighting him, a lot of running away and hiding, and sniping. For myself, I like being powerful, but I don't like dieing more than a couple times in a fight so there is a line there, somewhere. ;)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
In the end of the game I was able to one hit dragons to death.
The 15x backstab attacks (talent) with daggers are just too powerful.
Coupled with with max smithing for improving weapons and some gloves the doubles sneak attacks I could do like 3000 dmg on one hit.

It's not easy to sneak upon a dragon, but it can be done a few places.

I did max both smithing and enchanting and it really makes the game easy.
Just getting tons of ore and transmute it and make rings and then enchant them and sell for profit gives you an almost unlimited amount of gold and maxes smithing and enchanting pretty quickly.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Damn. So no real challenges left, not good.

I saved the last part of the main quest until the end.
I heard the game is supposed to be able to run in like 2.5 hrs, and thus someone that has played over 100 hrs will have it easy on the end.

I think the game should rather give xp for quests rather than using skills. So people like me that could use a whole night chasing deer to get letter for lvling smithing wouldn't level too fast, compared to the main story. Or maybe they could tune the main quest story after lvl like oblivion. Anyways, it's hard to get a RPG system that is so open as Skyrim suit all types of players.

I think logically you should finish the game after 30-40 hrs unless you do like me and do everything.

The story itself was well worth it, and I must admit that it was pretty strong.
Many quests chains was pretty epic, like both the ones from the assassins guild and thief guild.

Maybe thats why I liked Witcher2 better, because it had a strong story, although linear thru a few different paths, but it still kept the challenge all the way to the end. You are also on the same quests and everything you do is always keeping you on the path towards the final goal, more or less.

I had several boss fights that I had to reload several times and try different tactics, where in Skyrim they felt generic more like hack'n slash.

Also in Skyrim your companions doesn't mean as much as the relationship between Geralt and Triss (and to some extent Vernon, Iorveth, Dandelion and Zoltan), especially if you have played W1 first. The characters you meet in Skyrim just have lesser personalities.

The good thing with Skyrim is that there are much more possibilities, you can solve things many ways and there are tons of stuff to do, for a while it was just too much and I nearly forgot what my quest was because I was doing some quests helping reunite dead lovers or just killing a local bandit clan for a jarl because I got a note from the barmaid :p

Both great games, and very similar and different the same time.

Skyrim is much more free and no limits, W2 has much stronger story and characters, but limited.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Both great games, and very similar and different the same time.

Skyrim is much more free and no limits, W2 has much stronger story and characters, but limited.

Thanks for the perspective. I thought the original Witcher was good, but I preferred both Oblivion and Skyrim for their "real" open world. The Witcher was more restricted in this regard, but I did not finish it and don't doubt it had a more focused main quest line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.