Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Offers iPad Refunds to Australian Customers Misled about 4G

Australian regulators had targeted Apple earlier today over the use of the term "4G" in advertising its new iPad.
Quote:
The issue stems from Apple's use of "4G" in its marketing terms for the cellular-capable models of the new iPad, while 4G LTE compatibility is actually only offered in the United States and Canada due to differences in the frequency bands used for LTE in different countries.
ABC News reports that Apple is now offering refunds to Australians who purchased the new iPad and felt misled by the "4G" advertising.
Quote:
The company says it will email purchasers offering a refund if they believe they have been misled. Clarifications will also be made at point of sale.
Beyond that, Apple has agreed to publish clarification that the new iPad's 4G is not compatible with the Telstra network, but did point out that "the device is compatible with other networks that by international standards are deemed 4G."

Article Link: Apple Offers iPad Refunds to Australian Customers Misled about 4G
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
AJH1993
macrumors regular

Could have sworn at least one Australian telecoms had an LTE network...
AJH1993 is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
slrandall
macrumors 6502

The number of people who actually get refunds will show what a non-issue this is for many.
slrandall is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted

Waste of time. Regulators should focus on real issues.

If a consumer was misled, they probably shouldn't own an iPad.

Last edited by bacaramac; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
bacaramac is offline   -26 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
kbt1020
macrumors regular

Nothing could come between me and the retina display. I'd rather have that than 5G Ultra LTE
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
TheBronx
Banned

The debilitating 4G gate is over my friends! hehe. I dont know how apple made it out alive, since this was such as huge issue. thank goodness!

/s

any bets on what the next "gate" will be??
TheBronx is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:35 PM   #7
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

It does 4G? Is that the new 3G I've heard about?
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Jayse
macrumors regular

Is it just me or do other Aussies find it stupid that Telstra - Australia's largest telecommunications company - is investing and implementing a different LTE frequency to what the rest of the world uses?

This is pure greed from Telstra, potentially forcing Aussie customers to adopt their own branded products to benefit from faster data speeds!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:36 PM   #9
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Can't you already return it for a full refund if it isn't what you thought it was?
JayLenochiniMac is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #10
TheBronx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Can't you already return it for a full refund if it isn't what you thought it was?
yes but complaining gets the attention theyre seeking hehe
TheBronx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Chaos123x
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

Are they giving the refund without having to return it? Wtf?
Chaos123x is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #12
hetrigger
macrumors member

Didn't they say it would be 3g outside the US? Or did I mishear or misread? As for the advets down under I don't know, haven't seen them.
To err is Human, to really foul things up, you need a computer!
hetrigger is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
DiSTURBED-oNE
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I believe if you got it engraved you can't. This would allow those people to get a refund.
DiSTURBED-oNE is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:40 PM   #14
TheBronx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetrigger View Post
Didn't they say it would be 3g outside the US? Or did I mishear or misread? As for the advets down under I don't know, haven't seen them.
yes they did, but if you dont hold a sign outside the apple store in AU making everything clear as you walk in, you get in "trouble" and 4g gate happens hehe
TheBronx is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #15
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Could have sworn at least one Australian telecoms had an LTE network...
Telstra has one, but it's on 1800MHz. A dual mode 1800Mhz / 2300MHz TD-LTE network is under construction (Optus). A third 1800MHz LTE network is also in construction (Vodafone).

Telstra has also stated they may soon use 900MHz LTE. In addition, auctions for 2600MHz and 700MHz are to be held later this year. Asia Pacific 700MHz has a different band plan to the US - incompatible with both AT&T and Verizon 700MHz.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse View Post
Is it just me or do other Aussies find it stupid that Telstra - Australia's largest telecommunications company - is investing and implementing a different LTE frequency to what the rest of the world uses?
No country outside the US has used their heavily fragmented 700MHz band plan. Even the AT&T iPad can't use Verizon's LTE and vice versa!

In contrast, 1800MHz is currently used for LTE in Europe, Asia and Australia.
retroneo is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #16
imMango
macrumors member

Quote:

This is pure greed from Telstra, potentially forcing Aussie customers to adopt their own branded products to benefit from faster data speeds!
Theres no international standard, and as such, how can it be said they are using a different LTE frequency to the rest of the world. If anything, the US is, considering its the only place that 4G LTE on the iPad will actually work. But as I said, theres no standard, so I'm not having a go at the US or anything.

Secondly, Au telecoms are doing what they can with the radio frequency thats available. Can't do much more than that...
imMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
wbeasley
macrumors regular

Accc...!!!

The ACCC are the biggest bunch of toothless tigers around.

If they spent the efforts helping all Australians by investigating the rip off fuel prices they would be doing more for all of us. Instead they just claim they can't control things like that.

Surely most people with some tech knowledge would know Apple's 4G didn't work outside the US.

And those that didn't probably wouldn't know what they got wasn't work faster.

There will be very few returns. This is just a beat up. Apple will be happy for the free advertising for the 2 people in Australia who didn't know they sold tablets. (Hmmm, maybe Samsung will release a 4G tablet next in order to gain some media mentions...)

Actually, I'm surprised Samsung can show one of their ads on tv that says they have the highest res screen now that Apple's is higher. Perhaps they mean they have the highest res screens - that they supply to someone else
wbeasley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #18
hetrigger
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos123x View Post
Wirelessly posted

Are they giving the refund without having to return it? Wtf?
Did they give an amount? Did they say full or portion? Did TELSTRA know their limits and responsibilities?

These and other questions will be answered in "As The Turns"!
To err is Human, to really foul things up, you need a computer!
hetrigger is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 PM   #19
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
They are also advertising it in New Zealand (Australia’s little sister) as 4G, despite, similar to Australia, it is not on 4G in New Zealand.

The NZ Commerce Commission has filed a complaint about this today too.

Wise up Apple.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:54 PM   #20
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Why couldn't the countries agree on a common set of frequency bands around the world for LTE?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:02 PM   #21
lilpete
macrumors member

I understand the different frequencies that LTE use around the world, but I'm not sure about 3G. How is it that 3G works all around the world, and if it's due to being similar frequencies, how come all the countries could agree or use the same one for that and not for LTE?
lilpete is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:03 PM   #22
WatchTheThrone
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Read the fineprint where it says 4G LTE only in US & Canada. What a bunch of crybabies!!!! Hope Apple gives them a bottle with their refund!!!!
WatchTheThrone is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:09 PM   #23
748s
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

No greed, no Au carrier can use it.
In Australia 700MHz is used for analog TV.
700/2100MHz will be available after 2016 when analog TV is switched off.

USA & Canada are in the minority using 700/2100MHz.
Most of Europe and Asia are going with 900/1800MHz.
748s is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:14 PM   #24
Rennir
macrumors 6502

I think this is more a matter of principle and advertising products without misleading names rather than a big deal that Australian consumers made.
Rennir is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #25
SoGood
macrumors regular

Storm in a tea cup! Yawn...
SoGood is offline   -10 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion