Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phooto

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted

Advertised as 4G in the UK too, yet does not work on any 4G networks here?

What 4G networks?

And when there are some, no, it won't work.

3G is still included in the iPad though.

malu05

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
There are similar lawsuits under way all over Europe. So i guess they are going to offer the same compensation for the rest of the world soonish.

Phooto

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
...and the specs for the iPad do clearly say which frequencies are supported. If you choose a network that doesn't have those frequencies, it won't work.

Not difficult really.

Phooto

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Honestly? You expect a general consumer to know this peice of information?! Don't be ridiculous.
They understood in the early days of 2G that a 900MHz phone wouldn't work on 1800MHz, and that a dual band phone was better as it would work on both.

Maybe people are lazier or more stupid now.

If the networks were selling a device to work on their networks and it didn't, then I would agree. Fact is, that the new iPad will work on 3G networks anywhere, I doubt that those general consumers would notice the difference. It's the networks that need to make clear what will work on their networks, not for the manufacturer to advise which it will work on.

Apple already do advise that the iPad will work on AT&T for example, but I'm sure they don't claim that it will work on any Australian or European networks? So, if they offer a refund to those who bought it incorrectly, then I think that's very fair on Apple's part, they are not to blame.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
And how many will really return it? :rolleyes:

Very very few! Because people who bought the new iPad knew exactly what they are getting. When people spend that amount of money, they do a little research to know what they are getting. It's not like they are walking in a shopping centre and they see this iPad advert and they think.... hmmm.... looks nice! And have 4G too? Great. Take my $ 700 or so

However, i still don't agree that is the appropriate way Apple should advertise it outside US.

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Can I please get a refund from the hard drive manufacturers who listened to their marketing departments instead of their engineering departments and sold me a 160GB hard drive that was metric instead of binary in sizing?

Note to the world: Australians aren't stupid, but does have a government that is concerned about consumer protection and enforces truth in advertising and clearly labeling products. That does not make it a nanny state, and companies are free to make a dollar or two, but not at the expense of ripping off the consumer. This consumer protection has been the cornerstone of one of the worlds most stable economies.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Since when is the standard for whether an ad might cause confusion based on whether geeks know? And if it was widely understood that the iPad 4G only works on American and Canadian 4G networks, then why the heck should it be advertised as 4G in Australia? Even though it doesn't run on Australia's 4G network, it's ok to advertise it as 4G in Australia on the grounds that it can run on 4G LTE networks in two countries that are literally on the other side of the planet? Huh? Maybe AT&T can start running iPad ads in America touting its hotspot capability because Verizon and carriers in China have enabled that feature (with the fine print that "We are working with Apple to enable this feature in the future, but we currently do not offer it" to clear up any consumer confusion).

In Australia, as in many other countries outside the U.S., 4G = LTE. None of the Australian wireless carriers advertise or call their HSPA+ networks as 4G, as some US carriers do. Telstra, the Australian carrier that does have a 4G LTE network, advertises its HSPA+ network as the "Next G Network." None of the other carriers have tried to advertise its HSPA+ capable network as 4G. That clear and unmuddled understanding of 4G is the context within which Apple is advertising its iPad as "WiFi + 4G." Regardless of what the understanding of "4G" are in the US, it's not the same in Australia. It's fair and reasonable to ask Apple and any other company selling its wares in Australia to conform its marketing and ads to the practices and usages of the country. Regardless of how many people get refunds, the practice of calling the iPad in Australia 4G is confusing because it goes against the widespread and common understanding of the term there.

I don't think Apple is trying to mislead anyone deliberately - I think they're trying to make it clear that the iPad doesn't run on Australia's 4G LTE network. But even though their motive may be genuine and in good faith, the fact is they are trying to hoist onto the Australia market a usage of the term that isn't widespread in that country. I think the regulators there are completely in the right to require companies to localize their ads to the terminology as it's used in their country. I don't see why that's controversial and it's something that Apple already does with their other products. Case in point, go look at the iPhone 4s pages on Apple's Italian site. There's not a mention of Siri at all there because Siri doesn't work with the Italian language yet. Apple doesn't rely on fine print or an asterisk that says "Siri doesn't work with Italian yet" nor do they advertise Siri in Italy with the justification that "well, geeks would know that Siri only works with English, French, German and Japanese so it's fine to advertise Siri in Italy."
You clearly believe what you say, but the truth is, that there is no 4G network in Australia or indeed anywhere else in the world. The name 4G is used worldwide simply for marketing reasons. The actual 4G standard is not being implemented yet and it will be some time until it is.
4G stands by no means for LTE but for speed. It is supose to be fast. What tech is being used to get the speed is of no importance what so ever to the consumer. I for one prefer the HSPA+DC speeds that are faster then LTE, kind to the battery and cheaper in use.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
They understood in the early days of 2G that a 900MHz phone wouldn't work on 1800MHz, and that a dual band phone was better as it would work on both.

Maybe people are lazier or more stupid now.

Or maybe no phone company tried to sell a 2G phone with "dual band" in large, friendly letters on the box with a tiny footnote in the specs saying "second band facility only available on carriers x and y in the US".

In the UK, 4G is predominantly used to refer to LTE, HSPA+ is sold as 3G. 4G networks are widely known to be "coming soon" (e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17355399 - although that's now stalled). If something says 4G on the box it's quite reasonable to assume that it will offer future-proofing when 4G rolls out.

N.b. - also bear in mind that Apple have been tweaking the wording on their websites since thus fuss started - and they are somewhat clearer, although non-US consumer protection bodies still won't be very impressed by the prominent "With 4G" being contradicted in the small print.

Gurubarry

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Very very few! Because people who bought the new iPad knew exactly what they are getting. When people spend that amount of money, they do a little research to know what they are getting. It's not like they are walking in a shopping centre and they see this iPad advert and they think.... hmmm.... looks nice! And have 4G too? Great. Take my $ 700 or so

However, i still don't agree that is the appropriate way Apple should advertise it outside US.

Just read this topic...fanboys will buy turds if they've got an apple .co logo on it.

"At a preliminary hearing, Apple lawyer Paul Anastassiou said Apple had never claimed the device would work fully on the current 4G network operated by Telstra."

Apple says the new iPad works on what is globally accepted to be a 4G network.

So next apple.co will sell Right hand drive cars in in the UK and fanboys will die in their hundreds until they are told they have to drive on the Left by apple.co .

Love the Logic ...worked for Stalin tho' :D

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Or maybe no phone company tried to sell a 2G phone with "dual band" in large, friendly letters on the box with a tiny footnote in the specs saying "second band facility only available on carriers x and y in the US".

You can blame the American military for needing tri-band phones. They occupied frequencies in the range agreed for GSM globally, hence needing to use 1900MHz.

The BBC has an interesting comment, although it is not a direct quote, so I'd love to know the source, but it reads:

BBC said:
At a preliminary hearing, Apple lawyer Paul Anastassiou said Apple had never claimed the device would work fully on the current 4G network operated by Telstra.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17532613

How can it be considered global if it only works in North America/Canada? Strikes me Apple would have been better to advertise the new iPad has being Wifi+LTE rather than 4G.

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
How can it be considered global if it only works in North America/Canada? Strikes me Apple would have been better to advertise the new iPad has being Wifi+LTE rather than 4G.

No, LTE is a technology, 4G is a widly accepted standard for marketing "fast" mobile networks.
The real 4G as proposed by the standard commision is not being used anywhere, they still working on that.
In the mean time, anything faster then about 20Mbit/s is marketed as 4G and Apple is serving that market. In most countries, LTE is slower then the 3G extension HDSPA+, actually it is better for the consumer to use these networks if available. I do not know what all the fuzz is about with this LTE. It eats Battery for breakfast, is slower, got tiny cells so there is no coverage and costs more.
God knows why people demand it.

lachs99

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
LTE: Still a long way to go

Two thoughts on this:

1. In the footprint, they explain that 4G might not be available in your country or area. This is simply a bit misleading. Just be more specific: "4G is not supported outside the U.S. and Canada" or so. What they did recently - at least on the German site, they changed it to "4G LTE is only supported by AT&T and Verizon in the U.S. and [...] in Canada." For me: case closed.

2. The problem is simply that the tel companies in the U.S. - as many times before like with measurements, TV formats, GSM etc. - are going a different direction in the standardization process of LTE frequencies. It's just annoying that the new iPad and other devices do not support the 1800 band which is widely used outside the U.S. Meanwhile, the fact stays the same: 700, 1700 and 2100 bands are only pushed by North American tel companies. All other countries are going a different direction with 800/900, 1800 and 2600 bands.
See this map about the chaos of LTE availabilty around the globe - it is still a long way to go ...

Hopefully there will be some kind of quad- or quint-band LTE modules available soon which can cover most of the different frequencies used. I don't know whether this is technically even possible but they should find a solutions to this. Otherwise we'll do the same bitchin about the upcoming iPhone 5 with LTE ...

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Just read this topic...fanboys will buy turds if they've got an apple .co logo on it.

"At a preliminary hearing, Apple lawyer Paul Anastassiou said Apple had never claimed the device would work fully on the current 4G network operated by Telstra."

So next apple.co will sell Right hand drive cars in in the UK and fanboys will die in their hundreds until they are told they have to drive on the Left by apple.co .

Love the Logic ...worked for Stalin tho' :D

millions of people buy Apple??? The travesty! This must be stopped hehe. Why do people get so worked up about the fact that Apple had loyal customers? :D

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Two thoughts on this:

1. In the footprint, they explain that 4G might not be available in your country or area. This is simply a bit misleading. Just be more specific: "4G is not supported outside the U.S. and Canada" or so. What they did recently - at least on the German site, they changed it to "4G LTE is only supported by AT&T and Verizon in the U.S. and [...] in Canada." For me: case closed.

Actually, the "4G might not be available in your country or area" is technically more correct than the outside the U.S. and Canada line because that would open them up to legal advertising issues with areas in the U.S. and Canada for which 4G isn't supported.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
And that was my point, the carriers not supporting 4G rather than Apple selling a 4G device, I see this as an issue for the Aussie telcos not Apple.

But I think it's good Apple has at least offered a refund for anyone really feeling ripped off for being sold on 4G.

If you think this is the carriers fault then you need to read up on it. The reason the carriers can't agree on common frequencies is not because they don't want to, it's because different frequencies are available in different countries.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The point here is that Apple is making misleading marketing claims.

People are not going to return their iPads due to them not having 4G, that is not the point, Aussies love their products like anyone else.

Apple just needs to stop BSing when they release something, stating how awesome it is etc and then in the find print saying FU to a large group of thier loyal customers!

Some of the fanboys sticking up for Apple on this topic, lay off the koolaid! Apple is misleading the public about the awesome 4G ipad, having fine print is not good enough, when its a global product.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
The point here is that Apple is making misleading marketing claims.

People are not going to return their iPads due to them not having 4G, that is not the point, Aussies love their products like anyone else.

Apple just needs to stop BSing when they release something, stating how awesome it is etc and then in the find print saying FU to a large group of thier loyal customers!

Some of the fanboys sticking up for Apple on this topic, lay off the koolaid! Apple is misleading the public about the awesome 4G ipad, having fine print is not good enough, when its a global product.

Hehe misleading the public...not spoonfeeding is not the same as misleading...

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If you think this is the carriers fault then you need to read up on it. The reason the carriers can't agree on common frequencies is not because they don't want to, it's because different frequencies are available in different countries.

I'm not debating the different frequencies available to different countries rather what Australian telcos are offering (or in this case not). I'd would agree with you if 4G on different frequencies specs were offered by different carriers, alas this is not the case within Australia.

The major non-Telstra competition as with Optus, Vodafone, etc are only offering consumers 3G, there's no real other option besides Telstra's very newly rolled out 4G. This is my point, you bring out a 4G compatible device with a country like Australia then you are going to have issues due to poor support via the telcos on new technology not via the actual device.

The actually iPad isn't promising something it can't do rather the environment regarding 4G in Australia is near on non-existent, this is my issue with the ACCC taking Apple to court the issue is not the iPad rather the wireless ecosystem within Australia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.