Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UTMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Has anyone tried using 2 apple tvs in the same house? Can it work? I have a 2nd gen Apple TV I want to move to my bedroom tv and buy a 3rd gen Apple TV with HD for my living room. Can I have both in the same house and use from the same computer? Will you be able to select which apple tv you want to air stream to?

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Has anyone tried using 2 apple tvs in the same house? Can it work? I have a 2nd gen Apple TV I want to move to my bedroom tv and buy a 3rd gen Apple TV with HD for my living room. Can I have both in the same house and use from the same computer? Will you be able to select which apple tv you want to air stream to?

Yep, I have the same setup. You can name each Apple TV something different. Mine are Bedroom Apple TV and Family Room Apple TV. Works great with no problems!

UTMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the info so quick. I love this site, I just got an iMac in January with Apple TV and new iPad when it came out. I don't know why I waited so long but will never go back. :)

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

The ability to easily have multiple ATV's is one of the great benefits of the unit.

We have 4 in total, and they work really well. You can start watching something in one room, and then move to another room and the film you were watching picks up where it left off. You can also easily move where you are air playing to easily.

Perhaps the best feature is when using airplay of music from iTunes, you can select multiple ATVs to stream to. We often have music playing from 2 or 3 ATV's during the summer and it keeps in sync really well. It means you can listen to the music wherever you are and it's great for a party.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Perhaps the best feature is when using airplay of music from iTunes, you can select multiple ATVs to stream to. We often have music playing from 2 or 3 ATV's during the summer and it keeps in sync really well. It means you can listen to the music wherever you are and it's great for a party.

I've never tried streaming of music. Great idea. I'll have to try this.

We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit for us is ripping DVDs - now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus. We're thinking about getting a 4th soon.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've never tried streaming of music. Good idea.

We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit is ripping DVDs, and now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus.

Yep, the AEBS in my bedroom streams to a large hi fi system...Only snag is I have to grab the remote from the large selection on my bedside table quickly to turn it down....Otherwise....BOOM:eek:

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I have 5 going at any one given time. 3 wireless 2 wired so it's fine. 2 old school, 2 ATV2's and 1 ATV3

xMacMusox

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Kansas City
I have 5 going at any one given time. 3 wireless 2 wired so it's fine. 2 old school, 2 ATV2's and 1 ATV3

Hole house audio? I'm figuring you do more than that but is this the reason for 5? I am adding a atv3 soon to the mix of atv2, airport express, and denon avr.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Hole house audio? I'm figuring you do more than that but is this the reason for 5? I am adding a atv3 soon to the mix of atv2, airport express, and denon avr.

5 TV's is the reason.

I have an Airport Express in the garage for streaming audio.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

Exactly the same configuration I have, five. I could use at least one more, but I'll worry about that when I upgrade one of the ATV2's. Also thinking of adding another TV to the workout room, that would require another ATV. :D

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit for us is ripping DVDs - now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus. We're thinking about getting a 4th soon.

I have 2 :apple:tvs, and 3 compatible TV sets. The odd one out is in my daughter's room. If we put an :apple:tv on hers, we'd probably never see her again-- hers is the largest percentage of :apple:tv usage in our household. Why? Like bbeagle, we find the instant-on, smart-resume movie collection extremely convenient, and our DVDs (and "skip/forward" buttons) no longer get worn out.

Netflix also works rather well on :apple:tv, at least from our experience. Then again, we're not so picky that we demand 1080p. Heck, most of our movie library was encoded using HandBrake's iPhone/iPod touch preset, and I haven't heard a complaint yet. (The smaller file sizes allow me to fit more movies onto my daughter's touch, and oh, the joys of not having to lug around and hook up a portable DVD player and "books" of DVDs to get scratched up in the car.)

EDIT: Those of you who are reading this and considering getting on the :apple:tv bandwagon should consider Apple's Airport Extreme router; it takes "Wake On WiFi" one step further. It has a built-in Bonjour proxy that, upon receiving a message from an :apple:tv to get a movie from a particular library on a Mac that's in sleep mode, will wake up that Mac, have it send the file, then allow the Mac to go back to sleep.

Last edited:

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Those of you who are reading this and considering getting on the :apple:tv bandwagon should consider Apple's Airport Extreme router; it takes "Wake On WiFi" one step further. It has a built-in Bonjour proxy that, upon receiving a message from an :apple:tv to get a movie from a particular library on a Mac that's in sleep mode, will wake up that Mac, have it send the file, then allow the Mac to go back to sleep.
You shouldn't even need the Airport Extreme; the ATV2 & 3 also have Bonjour Sleep Proxy support.

jacbec

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
2 Apple TVs

I have 2 Apple TVs (Gen 1 & 2) connected by ethernet to my LAN. Only one (Gen 1) shows up in my iTunes Devices list????? Same thing happens when they are connected via WIFI. When I use Remote on my iPhone 4s only the Gen 2 Apple TV shows up. What is going on???

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have 2 Apple TVs (Gen 1 & 2) connected by ethernet to my LAN. Only one (Gen 1) shows up in my iTunes Devices list????? Same thing happens when they are connected via WIFI. When I use Remote on my iPhone 4s only the Gen 2 Apple TV shows up. What is going on???

The "new" appleTV's do not show up in iTunes (at least mine don't). They rely on Homesharing. As for the remote, I don't believe the remote app works with the Gen 1 AppleTV's. I have four AppleTV 3's. They all show up in the Remote App, and all rely on Homesharing that I setup in iTunes on my "server".

JGdT

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
Hello. Trying to set up a second Apple TV on the same router and keep getting the weird message that failed to login to itunes store until the network time is set. My first one is working perfectly and have not found an explanation anywhere, not even in Apple.com. Any ideas???
Thanks!

Last edited:

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013

I have 4 - one for each TV - work great. Master Library is on a mac mini (2011)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.