Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest data from Nielsen suggests that between the two of them, Android and Apple's iOS have relegated other smartphone operating systems to sub-single digit market share. The closest competitor -- RIM's Blackberry -- counted only 5% of U.S. smartphone purchases in the past three months. Other operating systems, including Windows Phone, Symbian, HP/Palm's WebOS and others, added up to only 4% share combined.

Smartphone-OS-share.jpg

Overall, Android continues to lead the smartphone market in the U.S., with 48 percent of smartphone owners saying they owned an Android OS device. Nearly a third (32.1%) of smartphone users have an Apple iPhone, and Blackberry owners represented another 11.6 percent of the smartphone market. Among recent acquirers who got their smartphone within the last three months, 48 percent of those surveyed in February said they chose an Android and 43 percent bought an iPhone.
Android's performance is pretty constant, with 48% of existing smartphone owners and 48% of new smartphone purchasers choosing Android phones.

Apple's iPhone has been more popular of late, with the recent release of the iPhone 4S. The iPhone is the device of choice for 32% of current smartphone owners, but has made up 43% of recent smartphone purchases -- entirely at the expense of BlackBerry and the other small-share operating systems.

Article Link: Android and iPhone Own Nearly The Entire U.S. Smartphone Market

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I guess "Research In Motion" didn't research enough to stay on top ;)

I'm actually glad to see this, supporting Blackberries always sucked where as supporting iOS and Android are very easy.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I wonder who the next big player of the future will be...

----------

I'm actually glad to see this, supporting Blackberries always sucked where as supporting iOS and Android are very easy.

can't help but think it's a lack of market diversity though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not good news for WP7 phones, and RIM is still in crash & burn status

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

----------

can't help but think it's a lack of market diversity though.

Don't you think the Windows phone is going to start to have a growing market share? Microsoft has deep pockets and I suspect they will support it very strongly.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The good news is that there is a lot of money in the consumer space. The bad news is that consumers are fickle for the next shiny thing -squirrel!- so Android and iOS can't rest on laurels or presume to maintain dominance. Someone else will come along and disrupt their market eventually. As someone invested with ios, I hope Apple won't get complacent and continues to focus on user experience and reliability over bullet point features.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted

I think they mean sub-double digit, or just single-digit, market share. Sub single digit means less than 1%

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Add a second question to this

When someone says they use a RIM phone, the next question should be "is it a employer-issued device?". Just about every person at my work is ready to hop over to iOS from RIM as soon as they exit beta-testing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But at least RIM is making some money, while Nokia needed MS money to make W7 phones.

Agreed, but if the trend continues, RIM will be losing money as fast as they lose marketshare.

Nokia has bet the farm on WP7 and so far its not panning out for them

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
That 5% number for RIM is mind blowing. Has any company squandered/mis-managed a brand (in N America) worse than they have in the past 5 years? I cant think of one. Very sad as I WAS a 6 year BB owner :(

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted

It looks really bad for RIM. I wouldn't be surprised if some RIM employees are already looking around for new employment opportunities.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

I'm curious, are you talking about 'the next big player' in general tech, or smartphones specifically?

Back in computer land, we haven't really seen a big player outside of Windows and Mac OS for decades. Not saying there has to be a parallel to be drawn, but markets don't always evolve in a consistent fashion.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Don't you think the Windows phone is going to start to have a growing market share? Microsoft has deep pockets and I suspect they will support it very strongly.

I think that Microsoft would have a really tough time convincing people to switch from iOS or Android, since there is so much incentive to remain within each respective ecosystem. They would have to offer something truly convincing; I don't think their current offerings satisfy that.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Not good news for WP7 phones, and RIM is still in crash & burn status

Do not count MS out.

It is a safe bet that long term the big OS will be Windows Phone, Android and iOS. I would almost argue that it would go 1) Android 2) WP and 3) iOS.

Reason for it is iOS is limited to Apple only and the other are put on multiple different phones. Apple will more than likely still be #1 in single phone sells.

MS is willing to put the money to break into the market.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

At least they are on their own slice. Windows Phone 7 is lumped with Windows Mobile, Symbian, Bada, etc as "others" and all combined they still commanded less market share than RIM did.

Do not count MS out.

It is a safe bet that long term the big OS will be Windows Phone, Android and iOS. I would almost argue that it would go 1) Android 2) WP and 3) iOS.

One big problem I see with that theory is Android and WP compete directly against each other for OEM attention. There's Nokia who put their best effort with Windows Phone 7 but everyone else either did their Windows Phone 7 somewhat half heartedly, or did not do it at all.

In fact there has been some articles indicating LG is downscaling their Windows Phone effort for a number of reasons. There are only so many experienced mobile engineers in Samsung, HTC, LG, etc and companies have to decide where to concentrate. Windows Phone might gain some market traction, but I just don't see it get all that big unless it takes over Android.

Last edited:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I'm curious, are you talking about 'the next big player' in general tech, or smartphones specifically?

Back in computer land, we haven't really seen a big player outside of Windows and Mac OS for decades. Not saying there has to be a parallel to be drawn, but markets don't always evolve in a consistent fashion.

smartphone OS market when/if iOS + android go the way of BlackBerry in years to come.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
RIM continues to do nothing drastic about market share.

Couldn't they release a new BB with a large touch screen, slide out keyboard, a decent camera and a lightening fast processor? Best of both worlds: a sleek touch screen and a qwerty keyboard for those who like that.

Make some decent apps for editing photos, video, documents, and some fun games. Also, make email easier to setup, please? Maybe then the slogan "tools not toys" would make more sense.

Release a new OS and a new dev kit that inspires developers to invest in your platform. Even if they gave away a high 90% revenue for the first 100 apps submitted to the App World or something?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012

Except competition is good for the market and the consumer. The more competition, the more push there is to innovate and evolve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.