Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
orvn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Why can't I find my local (user specific) library folder in Lion's Finder?

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble accessing some stuff that should be in my library folder.
I can access my general library folder in ~/library but not my user specific one in ~/users/orun/ (orun is my username).

I can navigate to it in unix
cd /users/orun/library
open .


But it just isn't there in Finder.. what gives?
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
To get to your /Library or ~/Library folder in Lion, launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library

You can also reach your ~/Library folder by holding the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Jan 22, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:40 PM   #3
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)
 
grapes911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Citizens Bank Park
Tilde (~) refers to your home directory. The slash (/) refers to root.


/users/orun/library
is the same as
~/library
__________________
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:28 PM   #4
orvn
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
thanks guys!
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
If you want, you can run the command below in Terminal and it will unhide the ~/Library folder. Then you can see it in a normal Finder window.

Each time a point OS release comes out though it gets hidden again and you will need to run the command.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Weaselboy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
You can also use in the Finder
Click the Go menu, then Go to Folder if you don't want to change the flags.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:36 AM   #7
jasonvp
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern VA
Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
But it just isn't there in Finder.. what gives?
It looks like you got some good advice here from the worthies, but the answer to the "what gives?" question is: For Lion, Apple decided they didn't want users mucking about in their Library directory with Finder. Apparently they felt it too risky for those that don't know what they're doing. Obviously you can still easily get to it via CLI; Apple probably figured that anyone poking around via CLI already knows what they're doing.

In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse...

jas
jasonvp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #8
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse
My issue is that they took 7 versions of OSX to decide the people should not have access to that folder?

Seems a little over zealous and closed minded
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:44 AM   #9
jasonvp
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern VA
Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
My issue is that they took 7 versions of OSX to decide the people should not have access to that folder?

Seems a little over zealous and closed minded
I'm not sure I have a cogent answer to your point, really. There are a number of things Apple does with OS X that I scratch my head about. This is just another one of those things to put on the list. Thankfully they have work-arounds for it, even if said work-arounds are sub-optimal.

jas
jasonvp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
orvn
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If you want, you can run the command below in Terminal and it will unhide the ~/Library folder. Then you can see it in a normal Finder window.

Each time a point OS release comes out though it gets hidden again and you will need to run the command.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Thank you! That's what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
It looks like you got some good advice here from the worthies, but the answer to the "what gives?" question is: For Lion, Apple decided they didn't want users mucking about in their Library directory with Finder. Apparently they felt it too risky for those that don't know what they're doing. Obviously you can still easily get to it via CLI; Apple probably figured that anyone poking around via CLI already knows what they're doing.

In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse...

jas
So the system library folder remains unhidden while the user library is hidden? Why not hide both?


Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
My issue is that they took 7 versions of OSX to decide the people should not have access to that folder?

Seems a little over zealous and closed minded
Not to mention sudden and unwarranted.
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
Thank you! That's what I was looking for.



So the system library folder remains unhidden while the user library is hidden? Why not hide both?




Not to mention sudden and unwarranted.
A bit like this thread.
Peace is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12
jasonvp
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern VA
Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvn View Post
So the system library folder remains unhidden while the user library is hidden? Why not hide both?
That's actually a good question and I can only assume it has to do with permissions. If you set your normal user up such that it can't administer the box (which is how I set mine up), then even if you can see the /Library and /System/Library directories, you can't write anything to them. Unlike your ~/Library where you could conceivably mess everything up.

Again, just a guess.

jas
jasonvp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:20 PM   #13
orvn
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
A bit like this thread.
hey!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
That's actually a good question and I can only assume it has to do with permissions. If you set your normal user up such that it can't administer the box (which is how I set mine up), then even if you can see the /Library and /System/Library directories, you can't write anything to them. Unlike your ~/Library where you could conceivably mess everything up.

Again, just a guess.

jas
Reasonable guess.
orvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
macrem
macrumors 65816
 
macrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvp View Post
I'm not sure I have a cogent answer to your point, really. There are a number of things Apple does with OS X that I scratch my head about. This is just another one of those things to put on the list. Thankfully they have work-arounds for it, even if said work-arounds are sub-optimal.

jas
Probably in response to a spike in Support calls from users who broke something by mucking around in their library folders.
__________________
15" rMBP | 27" iMac | iPhone 5 | iPad Air
macrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:25 PM   #15
dknightd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

Each time a point OS release comes out though it gets hidden again and you will need to run the command.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Bummer. I would not have guessed a point release would mess with user account settings.
dknightd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
Bummer. I would not have guessed a point release would mess with user account settings.
Yep... 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 both rehid the folder for me and I had to run the Terminal command again.
Weaselboy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:11 AM   #17
adelec
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Something else to try

I located the library as described (thanks!), then added it to the sidebar using the option on the file menu (CMD t). Has made is readily accessible - time will tell if it survives an update.
adelec is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disable Finder Generating Thumbnails in a Specific Folder energy23 Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 2 Apr 23, 2014 10:36 AM
No LIBRARY folder in Finder lugesm Mac Basics and Help 10 Oct 22, 2013 12:07 PM
Finder, iPhoto, etc. issues with specific user account purpleinnej Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Aug 19, 2013 09:20 AM
Finder Crashes when Opening One Specific Folder? tommytune PowerPC Macs 7 May 19, 2013 04:28 PM
Resolved: How Do I Access the User Library Folder on a Mt Lion Clone External Drive Roy Hobbs OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Oct 3, 2012 12:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC