Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have noticed that Universal Studios' movies are now available for re-download through Apple's iCloud service. In March we reported that both Fox and Universal were not yet participating in iCloud video streaming due to contractual obligations with HBO. HBO was reportedly working with both Fox and Universal to loosen these restrictions.
HBO agreed to loosen its arrangement with Warner Bros., which is working with iCloud, and also is in talks with Universal and Fox to do the same, the spokesman added.
When searching for movies in iTunes, Universal movies no longer contain a warning that the movies are not available through iCloud, while Fox's movies retain the warning:

univ.jpg

Universal Studios (left) vs 20th Century Fox (right)​
Another reader was able to confirm he was able to re-download 40 Year Old Virgin. Previous movie purchases from Universal should now be available for redownload in your previous purchased menu on iTunes.

Fox is also said to be in negotiations with expectations that their movies would also become available through iCloud in the near future.

Article Link: Universal Studios' Movies Now Available on iCloud

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Forget it, no way. I won't buy any movie in iCloud. I buy the movie and 2 years from now when Apple and a movie studio start bickering, the studio pulls the movie from iCloud and I get screwed.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Forget it, no way. I won't buy any movie in iCloud. I buy the movie and 2 years from now when Apple and a movie studio start bickering, the studio pulls the movie from iCloud and I get screwed.

not sure you understand how iCloud works.

You buy the movie, it gets downloaded to your device/machine.
If you later want to redownload it you can in iCloud (if available).

There is no "buying a movie in iCloud". There's "buying a movie" and it happens to be available later to redownload (or not).

arn

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
This is good, but I happened to notice that Fast Five has been completely removed from iTunes.

Maybe something temporary as it starts on HBO today?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is good, but I happened to notice that Fast Five has been completely removed from iTunes.

Maybe something temporary as it starts on HBO today?

I think it's no longer available for sale during HBO's window, but people who have purchased it before today on iTunes can redownload it from iCloud.

arn

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Maybe we'll eventually see all movies available for purchase in HD, not just SD as well.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I think it's no longer available for sale during HBO's window, but people who have purchased it before today on iTunes can redownload it from iCloud.

arn

And what window would that be? Once HBO gets the exclusive rights to air it? I guess that's part of the deal.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england

if you don't want to buy it on iCloud, then just sync your iDevice up to your computer the old fashioned way by using the usb cable, if you feel safer that way. nothing wrong with that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
And what window would that be? Once HBO gets the exclusive rights to air it? I guess that's part of the deal.

ya, HBO pays for an exclusive window

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/1...niversal-to-participate-in-icloud-for-movies/

HBO isn't planning to give up its exclusive windows, for which it pays hundreds of millions of dollars a year, and which allow it to beam movies to its online service HBO Go as well as to its traditional TV channels. But HBO is relaxing terms to let users of iCloud and other services send movies they already own to other devices during those windows, an HBO spokesman said.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

There is no "buying a movie in iCloud". There's "buying a movie" and it happens to be available later to redownload (or not).

arn

Or stream to an Apple TV, I hope you'll be able to stream to iOS devices too in the future.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

arn
Not exactly...if I buy a movie from my Apple TV then it only exists in iCloud. Unless I go and download it on purpose, that is the only place it will exist.

Buying movies on the AppleTV2 (and up). Is what iCloud for movies is all about...

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Not exactly...if I buy a movie from my Apple TV then it only exists in iCloud. Unless I go and download it on purpose, that is the only place it will exist.

Buying movies on the AppleTV2 (and up). Is what iCloud for movies is all about...

When is Movies in the cloud coming to the UK? it's so disappointing we always seem to get stuff much later than everywhere else.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Now, how about iTunes Match for movies? It'd be nice to replace my ripped DVD movies with iTunes movies (depending on quality) as I could with my music. Was nice updating lower bitrate tracks to 256 with iTunes Match. :cool:

When is Movies in the cloud coming to the UK? it's so disappointing we always seem to get stuff much later than everywhere else.

Yeah, but you live in the UK. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. :)

Oh, and Happy Easter everyone!

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA

It would be really nice if movies/shows I buy on ATV would just automatically download to my computer. I thought that was supposed to happen, but it clearly hasn't. Especially with TV shows, it's much easier to just buy it in iTunes and watch it once it's downloaded.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
You can. go to itunes preferences and change it to 1080p and redownload.

What i wish is if itunes could purge your existing movies and replace them with 1080p versions.. Or create a seperate m4v file that was 1080p so that we could have it in 720p, SD and 1080p

Man i really appreciate apple for the major and minor moves that they're making for iCloud... Its really becoming as BIG DEAL!!!

A move that id love for apple to make is to acquire a card company to beef up their CARDS app.. I love semding cards like that but the collection of cards is extremely limited

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Woohoo! Thank you very much Universal and Apple! That's 17 new movies in my iCloud account. Time to update these to 1080p now. :D

Jurassic Park in 1080p! Loving it! :apple:

Edit: Wow, King Kong Extended Edition is 7.01 GB. :eek:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Their top-billed mainstream junk is exactly why I don't want the service. Who the hell is that dumb?

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
What i wish is if itunes could purge your existing movies and replace them with 1080p versions.. Or create a seperate m4v file that was 1080p so that we could have it in 720p, SD and 1080p

Man i really appreciate apple for the major and minor moves that they're making for iCloud... Its really becoming as BIG DEAL!!!

A move that id love for apple to make is to acquire a card company to beef up their CARDS app.. I love semding cards like that but the collection of cards is extremely limited

Why would you need a a 720 version and a 1080 version? i still have the original ATV2 and downloaded the 1080 version and they play fine on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.