Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has released a new research report today outlining some of the takeaways from a recent trip to Asia to talk with companies in Apple's supply chain. According to White, chatter from those suppliers is pointing toward a larger 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5, which will also include a redesign bringing a "new, sleek look".
In our view, this will be the most significant iPhone upgrade with a four-inch screen and a new, sleek look that we believe will require a Unibody case. This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade to the iPhone 5, while we believe the addition of 4G will also attract buyers of the new device.
White notes that some suppliers are expected to begin ramping production of components in June, ahead of a launch in the August-September timeframe leading into a blockbuster final quarter of 2012.

iphone5-3-500x375.jpg

Sleek "iPhone 5" mockup based on leaked 2011 case designs
As in any discussion of a larger screen on an iPhone, the issue of screen resolution is certain to be a key sticking point. With the iPhone currently offering a 3.5-inch Retina display, an increase to 4 inches would require one of two changes: an increase in resolution that would yield difficulties for developers by adding yet another device size to the mix, or a decrease in pixel density that would maintain the current resolution but see density drop to roughly 285 pixels per inch from the current 326 pixels per inch.

Among White's other takeaways from his trip:

- Display issues have caused a bit of a bottleneck on supplies of the new iPad, but the shortages seem to be easing. Any small constraints on March quarter sales numbers would be compensated for by a boost to June quarter sales.

- Suppliers suggest that a smaller "iPad mini" is still in the works, but launch timing remains unknown.

- While the new iPad is not yet officially available in China, some resellers are already carrying the device. Speculation is pointing to a potential May release for the new iPad in China, although evidence for that timeframe beyond a recent regulatory approval appears scant.

Article Link: Supplier Chatter Pointing to Redesigned iPhone with 4-Inch Display, 'Sleek Look'

jasonxneo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Ozone Park, New York
yes!!!! finally! :D bring on the iPhone 5 Rumors that actually make a difference! Thoese pictures actually do look like mini ipads! The only drawback of the iphone 5 is how slower, thicker and less appealing it is than the iphone 6! :)

Last edited:

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
If it's redesigned like the picture, I'm not buying. I really don't need a larger screen, but what I don't like is the shape. I really prefer the flat back to a tapered back. My iPhone 4S will easily stand on any of it's sides, and I stand it up all the time. It also stays put better when it's lying down.

Also I think the aluminim back is a lot uglier than the glass. This looks like a step back.

UPDATE: To anyone who thinks I was expressing anger in this post, I wasn't. I simply prefer the old design. Big deal. This isn't an actual design anyway, so it's a moot point. I was merely expressing my opinion of the curved back design that we see here and we see on the iPhone 3G. I like a flat back. People read into things. They see what they want to see.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Could they do something other than quadruple the resolution to maintain a high pixel density without requiring developers to make changes to existing applications? For example, instead of doubling the vertical and horizontal pixels, could they multiply them by 1.5?

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I'll be sooo happy if this happens! Coming from an iphone 4, the A5X chip, current generation 4S camera sensor and a 4" screen with unibody construction would be my ideal phone! I'd love a sleeker take on the original 1st gen design. The i4 was (is) a beautiful design, but I much prefer the aluminum back over glass.

Bring it, I'm ready!!

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
LTE, bigger screen, 1 GB RAM ?
This might be the iPhone I've dreamed about.
Wake me up in Oct!

Last edited:

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
That mockup looks more like an iPod touch than an iPhone.

If Apple can find a way to make the iPhone out of aluminum again without sacrificing signal quality then I'm all for it.

I don't know about going bigger, I suppose that would give them more room to pack in a battery for the LTE chip. But the iPhone is about perfect in a 3.5" form. Lowering ppi to increase resolution seems like a bad idea.

Maybe it is time for a new screen resolution on the iPhone.

1024 X 768 at 4 inches is 320 ppi

ivassilis

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
A hardware redesign is sure thing for next iPhone. A new name is certainly in (as in new iPhone) and given the competitors trend of increasing dimensions, a modest increase of iPhones screen is to be expected. At 4" they will try to draw the line between "improvement" and usability. Probably by making that rim around the display even thinner. iPhone will grow only marginally in size overall. And that will make space for a larger battery too!!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
More rumors to keep us entertained, obsessed, crazy, undecided, confused, happy, sad, impatient, hopeful, all of the above, none of the above, etc....
:eek:

One thing is for sure: Time flies, and when we least expect it, it's time for the new iPhone launch! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.