Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
Myth of the inherent invulnerability of OS X to malware... Busted! :eek:

Complacency from one of the highest-valued corporations in the world (if not the highest)? Sounds like another computer company with HQ in Redmond.

Funny how history repeats.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
We don't know how many people do update regularly and we don't know if it would have been huge. What we do know is that the botnet would have been smaller - it surely wouldn't have been bigger if patches were available
You don't know that at all. Available patches does not translate to more patched systems, especially amongst the user base most vulnerable to malware infections.
- and closing know security holes as quickly as possible is to be encouraged and allowing them to remain open for months is a Bad Thing.
Clearly.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Typical Apple, shoot the messenger and hope the bad news he was bearing doesn't happen.

"If I close my eyes I can't see you!"

How you found that link is beyond me. I went to Apple.com, clicked contact, and found this page.

EDIT: Bing manages to find it for me, so I guess it's findable, just not through Apple.

Go to the little search window on the Apple site and type "security". Then look at "Support Results" on the right.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I've used OpenDNS for a number of years now and it works fine.

And what websites do you have to visit to get this "Flashback" thing exactly?

I checked both of my Macs using the command line thing and none of them are infected. Apparently none of my Mac-using friends have it either, which makes me question these infection numbers that are getting thrown around and whether the whole thing is just a viral marketing campaign by Norton to revitalize their company with a "radar gun / radar detector" business model now that Microsoft has finally made 3rd-party security software all but obsolete.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Exactly..

Step 1: Fake trojan outbreak news

Step 2: Create bogus removal tool that infects Mac when run

Step 3: 20 millions of Macs now trojan’ed

:D
)

I sometimes wonder if these "security companies" who find these vulnerabilities, are not somehow connected to the hackers who exploit them. Particularly ones based in foreign countries where many of these attacks seem to originate.

Apple is no longer developing Java for OSX now that Oracle bought Sun and took over Java. I don't believe Java is included with the default Lion install. You specifically have to go download it and add it in. So if Oracle releases a fix for a Java security hole, it is understandable that Apple would need some time to make the changes to the JVM's they continue to support and then test them before rolling them out.

Most users have no need for Java on their machines these days. Very few mainstream web sites use it. Corporations that use Java based apps are probably using some type of ERP system, like Oracle, that use Java in some of their products, but for the average Mac user has very little need for it.

As for Apple being "secretive" or "non-communicative" - typical press noise and hype. These security experts all want their 15 minutes of fame. Or more if they can get it.

It cracks me up how many people come to an Apple focused web sites to whine, complain, and throw hate at Apple. If you are a Windows user, why would you even visit a Mac focused site? If your an Apple hater, why even buy an Apple product? What a pitiful life you must lead.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Wait, so it was difficult to contact someone because you don't have direct email addresses to internal people? Why do you need to know this? Here it clearly states how to contact Apple.

You don't need to become pen pals with the folks inside Apple just because you found a security vulnerability.
It's not matter of becoming "pen pals", it's matter of tackling the security issues as fast as possible so that the minor number of users are at risk and the botnet does not become a bigger threat (and bloggers have less ammunition to start spreading FUD about Mac security).

Having direct contact information can help with that, but it's not needed, as long as someone fixes the vulnerability very fast and/or replies so that you can start a collaboration in the best interest of security.

Apple was informed long ago of the security holes. Apple did nothing. Zero. No fixes whatsoever. Many of those 600k infected machines could have been prevented with a more serious approach to security responses by Apple, which most likely needs to be implemented given that they are not under the radar anymore.

Last edited:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
If nothing else, I feel like this virus shows how relatively secure OS X is. If this is a bug that basically manifests through an issue in Java, that strengthens that argument.

While obviously a bad thing for Mac owners everywhere, it's nice to know how infrequently these issues arise on the Mac platform versus the Windows platform. To give Microsoft credit, they have come a long way, though. It seems like fewer and fewer viruses really hit critical mass for a Reuter's article anymore. Or maybe I'm just not seeing them?

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
You don't know that at all. Available patches does not translate to more patched systems, especially amongst the user base most vulnerable to malware infections.

Of course available patches translate into more patched system. The only question is how many.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Whats more annoying is that all the idiotic Windows fanboys are parading around every known social networking site gloating that Mac's actually do get viruses.

How did so many people become so misinformed about the differences between trojans, worms, and viruses?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Another piece I’m curious about: are email spam/phishing campaigns (possibly driven by Windows botnets) being used to send out clickable links to infected sites?

That’s a potential malware vector that I wouldn’t ignore if I were behind this, but email hasn’t been mentioned in the articles I’ve seen.

(By the way, Apple has stumbled in their communication on this—and maybe on their actions too—which does show their lack of experience; probably not their lack of caring. It may also be that this Russia-based sinkhole left them wondering who the good guys really are—which could well keep them silent while making sure of that. Even so, looking at the big security picture, I have to give credit where due: they’ve done things with Lion that NO other “more experienced” OS or vendor has done for security. They’re not the pros in every regard, but they do lead the security pack in other ways. Ways which make me even more glad to be on Mac.)

Also, as for Java being insecure, I always assumed that and always had it turned off, but it shouldn’t have been left to me to do so. Apple should turn it off by default, since most people never need it. I consider Java being enabled by default (much like Open Safe Files) to be a dropped ball by Apple. But easily remedied!

Whats more annoying is that all the idiotic Windows fanboys are parading around every known social networking site gloating that Mac's actually do get viruses.

How did so many people become so misinformed about the differences between trojans, worms, and viruses?

To be fair, “virus” (spreads itself from program to program) vs. “worm” (spreads itself from computer to computer) are terms few can tell apart, and even tech companies don’t always use them consistently. And “Trojan” is too simple a term—some distinction needs to be made between “requiring an unusual user action” and requiring simply visiting a web page. When I see Windows malware installing itself from someone simply visiting a web page, I certainly don’t minimize that risk! This time, it’s Macs. I guess “drive by” seems to be the term here, although I never heard that term before this.

Granted, trolls are making much more of this than it is (which no doubt hurts Mac sales as intended) but the term “virus” is kind of an understandable mistake.

No one ever claimed OS X was invulnerable to malware. This isn't the first piece of malware for OS X anyhow.

Exactly. First successful one, but here’s the real myth: the myth of “people who claim Macs are invulnerable.”

No, people merely claim they’re safer. Which they still are. For many reasons, all of them helpful!

Last edited:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Most users have no need for Java on their machines these days. Very few mainstream web sites use it. Corporations that use Java based apps are probably using some type of ERP system, like Oracle, that use Java in some of their products, but for the average Mac user has very little need for it.

I tend to agree. I think the biggest use of Java these days on the Mac is in web platform development or software development in embedded platforms. Certainly not the typical user scenario.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Not hardly

I've used OpenDNS for a number of years now and it works fine.

And what websites do you have to visit to get this "Flashback" thing exactly?

I checked both of my Macs using the command line thing and none of them are infected. Apparently none of my Mac-using friends have it either, which makes me question these infection numbers that are getting thrown around and whether the whole thing is just a viral marketing campaign by Norton to revitalize their company with a "radar gun / radar detector" business model now that Microsoft has finally made 3rd-party security software all but obsolete.

Microsoft has made 3-rd party security software all but obsolete? LMAO.

You obviously don't work in computer security, or have used Microsoft's ForeFront product. It is a weak product that most business don't rely on. Business for McAfee and Symantec security solutions, including endpoint systems, is busier than ever. The current APT landscape shows how sophisticated attacks have become, and that a multi-layer defense is priority number 1.

Apple could do more to improve its response to security issues, but the size of the security problems pale when compared to Windows. Windows 7 is a big improvement, but it still falls prey to the weakest link in the security chain - users who are uneducated and fall victim to phishing and other attacks.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
imLTm.jpg

Most Apple fanboys at this moment. So many of them are grasping at straws, downplaying the situation, and pretending it's not a big deal when it's huge.

It's not a virus!!! DAMN ANTI APPLE MEDIA!! WE STILL DONT HAVE A VIARUS!! :D:apple:

Nobody cares about the difference between malware and a virus. Hell, how many true viruses have been released on Windows? This is an extremely potent thing that doesn't even need your admin password in order to install and begin.

To the college student, to the grandma, to the other less tech savvy Apple user they don't give a ****. They now have to think for the past couple of months their computer has possibly been tracked, used in attacks, and now they have to figure out what info could have been stolen.

This is an extremely serious infection that does extremely serious stuff. Apple's response was pathetic.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
"They told the registrar this [domain] is involved in a malicious scheme. Which would be true if we weren't the ones controlling it and not doing any harm to users," says Sharov. "This seems to mean that Apple is not considering our work as a help. It's just annoying them."

Ugh, this frustrates me.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Most Apple fanboys at this moment. So many of them are grasping at straws, downplaying the situation, and pretending it's not a big deal when it's huge.

It's not a virus!!! DAMN ANTI APPLE MEDIA!! WE STILL DONT HAVE A VIARUS!! :D:apple:

Nobody cares about the difference between malware and a virus. Hell, how many true viruses have been released on Windows? This is an extremely potent thing that doesn't even need your admin password in order to install and begin.

To the college student, to the grandma, to the other less tech savvy Apple user they don't give a ****. They now have to think for the past couple of months their computer has possibly been tracked, used in attacks, and now they have to figure out what info could have been stolen.

This is an extremely serious infection that does extremely serious stuff. Apple's response was pathetic.

Well i'm still not sticking AV on my mac so in your expert opinion what sites should I avoid?

GadgetGav

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
It's not really "disclosed" (or "confirmed" as I've seen in other reports on this) that there are 600,000 Macs infected with the Flashback trojan. It's an ESTIMATE. If there were more accurate reporting around this story, there would be less chance for fanatics on either side to trot out their tired old cliches...

I also have a question about the authenticity of a never-before-heard-of security company who is running a "sink hole" server to make these estimates of infection. It doesn't seem very far removed from the actual bad guys - indeed the Dr. Web guy says that it would be part of a malicious scheme if it wasn't them running it because they're not doing any harm to users. OK... Let's take him at his word, but what protection is there for their sink hole server? How do we know that it's not now the prime target for the malicious hackers to inject some bad code...?

Anyway, I have three Macs in my household and none of them were infected, so as far as I'm concerned there's still no problem with MacOS.

It also seems from the Dr. Web page that if the trojan finds directories for either Little Snitch or Xcode it doesn't deploy, so that seems like easy and free protection to me...

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Well i'm still not sticking AV on my mac so in your expert opinion what sites should I avoid?

Pardon? You realize that it wasn't just a couple of sites or malware from pirate sites?

All you had to do was go to an infected site on say google images and even if you denied the password you'd be infected.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
P.S. I’d like to see more on the other side of the story: first a web site must be compromised, and only then can a Mac visiting it (with Java on) be compromised too. How are these web sites being compromised, which ones are they, how many of them, can we detect them, and can they be blocked if not fixed?

Another piece I’m curious about: are email spam/phishing campaigns (possibly driven by Windows botnets) being used to send out clickable links to infected sites?

That’s a potential malware vector that I wouldn’t ignore if I were behind this, but email hasn’t been mentioned in the articles I’ve seen.

Just wanted to quote both of your posts as I think they’re excellent points. We know this Java payload was sent down from visited sites and was able to execute outside of the sandbox due to a flaw in the Java distribution.

Which sites though? Did people reach those legitimately or has there been some kind of email, redirect, etc., mechanism to drive people to sites specifically design to delivery it?

Again, great points, and there are still quite a few unanswered questions about this whole event.

I sometimes wonder if these "security companies" who find these vulnerabilities, are not somehow connected to the hackers who exploit them. Particularly ones based in foreign countries where many of these attacks seem to originate.

Yeah, while I meant that post as a joke, I don’t think it’s totally outside the realm of possibility that there are relationships in place (with all the players) that aren’t totally above board.

tonjik

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Typical Apple, shoot the messenger and hope the bad news he was bearing doesn't happen.

"If I close my eyes I can't see you!"

Seems to me Apple is playing game: shoot the hacker and his servers and hope it will demotivate other hackers to make viruses for Macs.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Pardon? You realize that it wasn't just a couple of sites or malware from pirate sites?

All you had to do was go to an infected site on say google images and even if you denied the password you'd be infected.

I keep hearing that but have yet to see one reputable site by name announced as infected or that spread the infection.

Some people are making it out to be a bigger issue than it is and others are making it out to be a smaller issue that it is. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.