Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Mac4Ever [Google translation], legendary French designer Philippe Starck revealed on a radio show today that he has been working with Apple on a "revolutionary" new product, with the product set to launch within the next eight months.

philippe_starck.jpg

Philippe Starck (Source: Flickr/jikatu)
French newspaper Le Figaro has more on Starck's comments [Google translation], noting that he met with Steve Jobs monthly for seven years to talk. Starck also notes that he will be heading to Cupertino to talk with Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, suggesting that he is indeed a relatively close friend of the family.

As for the identity of the product in question, speculation naturally turns to an Apple television set, which has been rumored for a launch late this year or early next year. On the electronics side, Starck has experience in speaker and headphone design, with his Parrot Zikmu wireless speaker with iPhone/iPod dock being sold through Apple's online store in some countries. Starck's Parrot Zik headphones are also due for release later this year. Consequently, it is unclear from his brief comments whether he is working on an actual Apple product or something else for which he is coordinating with Apple.

Article Link: Designer Philippe Starck Says Working on 'Revolutionary' Product with Apple, Release in 8 Months

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
While the teaser does get me excited about something cool and new, I find it suspect that he would be that close to Jobs and Apple yet make such a disclosure. Doesn't seem like Apple/Jobs/Cook to not have a keep-your-mouth-shut agreement in place.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Sorry, I only buy Apple products that are magical. The revolutionary ones are just lame in comparison.

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Jonny Ive seems to have run out of ideas so this might be good to see something new for a change.

Edit: Thought I'd beat the down rate record there, must troll better next time...

Last edited:

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I wonder how that's working out with Jony Ive?

Did Steve think that Jony couldn't come up with the required design of the "revolutionary" product or is the "revolutionary" product just so fricking awesome, that it needed two top designers to work on it?

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Jonny Ive seems to have run out of ideas so this might be good to see something new for a change.

I wonder how that's working out with Jony Ive?

Did Steve think that Jony couldn't come up with the required design of the "revolutionary" product or is the "revolutionary" product just so fricking awesome, that it needed two top designers to work on it?

I hope you realize Jon Ive is not the only one who comes up with designs. It's a team of people.

Last edited:

odo

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
Wasn't Starck involved as designer in Steve's private luxury yacht?
So maybe not an Apple product but a boat for Steve (or his widow).

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

This was said about the iPod, iPhone, and iPad as well. People aren't going to want to spend the money. Yes, this is considerably more money, but it's also a larger device. I'm willing to bet that people WILL buy an Apple designed television. And I'm willing to bet that once it's unveiled, I will be looking for ways to accidentally knock my HDTV off the entertainment center so that I can tell my wife we need a new TV.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011

Let's just hope Stark didn't have anything to do with the design of that upcoming Apple product.

He's the one who designed the Freebox Revolution for Free (the best Internet provider in France)... and this thing is ugly as a mofo:

6Gqor.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.