Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
He designed headphones....who here thinks the headphones that come with the iPhone/iPod need a redesign?

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
It's a stylish minimalist catheter for Foxconn workers to use - so they don't have to take the 2-minute break they are allowed each day to visit the lavatory and thus will increase Apple's profit margin by 0.0002%.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
You realize Apple doesn't redesign something for the sake of a redesign lately (Mac Pro). Once you get to a certain point, unless the needs change, you reach the apex of form and function. Then there's no reason to change.

This is one element that makes a great designer... Knowing when NOT to change something. All designers start off changing for changes sake cos that's what their paymasters usually want, but the truly great ones transcend that and realise the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is absolutely true.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio

Oh great, so Apple is now "outsourcing" artistic talent.

Can't wait for my Vera Wang-edition MacBook with Beats Audio and external Ferrari hard drive.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
il'Toilete

Flush your commode using your idevice.

Revolutionary way to accumulate waste and minimize flushing....

In stores December, in time for Christmas!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

True. Why did people need a $600 phone in 2007? Yet they all went out and got one (followed by a $200 store credit). Apple is great at creating a demand where none exist. Look at the smart phone industry, it was primarily enterprise/business, then every soccer mom and fashionista had to have one.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
When in the history of Apple has an employee/contractor said anything publicly about a future product release? Publically mentioning that Apple uses Bic pens is a fireable offense. Either this guy is lying to self-promote or his last day of employment was today.

Following up from my previous comment. He is so narcissistic he can't keep his mouth shut. He absolutely loves himself.

autistic-savant

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
starck

this man couldn't design his way out of a paper bag. he can only be described as a 'stylist', and a poor one at that.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
this man couldn't design his way out of a paper bag. he can only be described as a 'stylist', and a poor one at that.

Have you ever stayed at or seen an Ian Schrager hotel, creator of boutique hotels back to the 1970's? Starck is the interior decorator for all of them, and they're stunning. He's far from untalented. His ghost chair is iconic in the design industry.

http://www.ianschragercompany.com/ian_schrager_company.html

Gramercy Park Hotel NYC
Paramount NYC
Royalton NYC
Hudson NYC
Morgans Hotel Group
Public in Chicago
The Delano in Miami
Sanderson London
Mondrian Lod Angeles

and on and on

Last edited by a moderator:

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
For those not wondering what Starck does, he's done some work for Kartell, and a LOT of work for Flos. He's done a fair amount of high-end interior design as well.

I don't like a fair amount of his work (some like the Ghost chair just get scratched to hell over time), but he gets incredibly adventurous with his use of materials. Enough to get his Miss K lamp a spot in my home. It looks as if the shade is solid aluminum when it's off, but it fades out to reveal the diffuser when lit -- it's a ridiculously cool effect.

Off
Philippe_Starck_Miss_K_Lamp_7ek.jpg

On
Philippe_Starck_Miss_K_Lamp_j7x.jpg

I think a lot of folks have a pretty polarized view of his work, but for everyone there's always something he's done that's a "holy ****, that's cool". Additionally, many of his designs are affordable luxuries. You won't see them in department stores, but they're still cheap enough that everyone could easily afford to have one or two of his designs in their home.

Last edited:

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
most of Starck's designs are crap

this guy probably created 1 or 2 fantastic stuff and then became so famous that he believed that every of his creations are pieces of art

images

03.jpg

i don't understand why Apple would need this guy, considering having Ive and an army of designers already...

outside Apple, there are hundreds or thousands of not famous designers doing better things than Starck...

macdouche

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
A Mobile Device

Hopefully the revolutionary product will include "stereo" speakers.

Now that would we great!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
most of Starck's designs are crap

Somethings any designer creates may be considered crap by some, taste is subjective. Apple isn't alone in this, the G4 cube, puck mouse, almost everything from the early to mid 90's, and let's not forget the Flower iMac. :p

g4cube.sized.jpg

Apple_iMac_USB_mouse.jpg

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

People don't need a big tv

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
I'm reminded by the corny promo video that it's possible to have too much style. To my mind good design is usually sublte and understated...the ZIK Parrot would be right at home on Jerry Lewis.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Over the ages, I've had three different Starck-designed wrist watches.

All have broken down after a year or so (after the guarantee ran out!).

Hopefully not a precedent...

They were damn good while they worked though!

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
This was said about the iPod, iPhone, and iPad as well. People aren't going to want to spend the money. Yes, this is considerably more money, but it's also a larger device. I'm willing to bet that people WILL buy an Apple designed television. And I'm willing to bet that once it's unveiled, I will be looking for ways to accidentally knock my HDTV off the entertainment center so that I can tell my wife we need a new TV.

There's a HUGE difference. People that have iPods, iphones, iPads, the overwhelming majority did not own a similar device before they purchased them.

How many people owned actual MP3 players before their first iPod?
How many people owned an actual smart phone before the first iPhone?
How many people owned a real tablet before the iPad?

Very, very few. That's why iMac and Macbook numbers are so insanely low compared to iPhones and iPads.

And finally, the biggest reason you will not see the same success with a $2K Apple branded TV as you have with handheld devices:

People can't parade around with them in public to show off.

Apple products are, to an extent, fashion accessories. A lot of people buy them because it's the cool/hip thing to own. If they can't go downtown and show the world they own the newest iPhone, what's the point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.