Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
+1.

The 5 criticism's may indeed be valid, but there is no perfect case out there; it's all a matter of what features make the most sense for the most people:

Camera Connector: This is something that only a fraction of the The New iPad's owners have, and those of us that do use them maybe 4x a year. The fact that the iPad easily removes from the case makes this a plus, not a negative. The alternative being a big opening at the bottom which most of us hate.

Material: All cases show fingerprints. This case is ridged, so will show less smudgery than the hundreds of cases/shells that lack a surface texture.

Kick Stands: It's a nice feature, not a dealbreaker, and his complaint is that they're too thin. Well, for the 1% of the time I'll actually use them, it's better to have them thin than be fat and pudgy adding bulk for the 99% of the time that I don't.

Fold Back: This is the design flaw in all iPad cases, nothing new here. In book orientation, all folio-style cases put the cover in your hands. Those that buy any folio know this going in, nothing better/worse about this design.

What he doesn't point out are actually the things that matter most to the most people:

Super-Thin design adds minimal bulk.
Back shell with complete protection.
Magnets function properly.
Easy open/close without a strap or buckle.
Stylish.
Affordable.

BJ

I don't think I trashed the case with my criticisms at all. I pointed out several good things about the case. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. But to rebutt some of your points, the camera attachment issue is a serious oversight. The opening doesn't have to be more than a few mm wider to accommodate it. There's no reason it wasn't wider other than the fact that they didn't think about it. And I think quite a few people would disagree about how often it's used.

The lip that closes the case is quite cumbersome to hold when folded back. There is not way to comfortably hold it. It's just as annoying if not more annoying than a tab. At least with the tab you can slip it through the loop and it holds the flap back. And the sagging is an issue, for sure.

And I agree with your positive points about the case, with the exception of the magnets. That shouldn't even be an issue. To compliment a case on the fact that the magnets work is a stretch.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I don't think I trashed the case with my criticisms at all. I pointed out several good things about the case. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. But to rebutt some of your points, the camera attachment issue is a serious oversight. The opening doesn't have to be more than a few mm wider to accommodate it. There's no reason it wasn't wider other than the fact that they didn't think about it. And I think quite a few people would disagree about how often it's used.

The lip that closes the case is quite cumbersome to hold when folded back. There is not way to comfortably hold it. It's just as annoying if not more annoying than a tab. At least with the tab you can slip it through the loop and it holds the flap back. And the sagging is an issue, for sure.

And I agree with your positive points about the case, with the exception of the magnets. That shouldn't even be an issue. To compliment a case on the fact that the magnets work is a stretch.

I'm glad to see you point out all the flaws. Everyone has their own needs and wants in a case and for me a couple of points you made definitely helped me make a decision not to try this case. I also pre-ordered the Boxwave case awhile ago we'll see how well that one plays out once I receive it.

So far the best case for my needs is the Griffin Intellicase. I love it's super thin and light weight form. I like that it is made from TPU and easy to clean. It also has the 30 pin connector totally open so the camera connector works fine. I actually use the camera connector to use a mechanical keyboard with the iPad especially when I have to do a lot of typing. Right now I have the white Griffin on my new iPad - looking very white and clean :). I also really like the secure and solid typing and upright stand positions. I know this case is really not a popular case for a lot of users but it perfectly fits all of my needs and wants. So keep searching - your perfect case is out there.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'm glad to see you point out all the flaws. Everyone has their own needs and wants in a case and for me a couple of points you made definitely helped me make a decision not to try this case. I also pre-ordered the Boxwave case awhile ago we'll see how well that one plays out once I receive it.

So far the best case for my needs is the Griffin Intellicase. I love it's super thin and light weight form. I like that it is made from TPU and easy to clean. It also has the 30 pin connector totally open so the camera connector works fine. I actually use the camera connector to use a mechanical keyboard with the iPad especially when I have to do a lot of typing. Right now I have the white Griffin on my new iPad - looking very white and clean. I also really like the secure and solid typing and upright stand positions. I know this case is really not a popular case for a lot of users but it perfectly fits all of my needs and wants. So keep searching - your perfect case is out there.

Some people like a thin tight little body, some people like a puffy loose big body.

To each his own.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I just ordered the Berry color from Amazon/Beach despite going with my initial impression that it was a bit feminine. I do think Black is a bit boring and it will differentiate more so I never lose it.

How do you guys with Berry color like it? I think I will have to see it to believe it.

I can't wait to get it!

Placed my order, less than 48 hours later it's at my house. Beach Audio (direct, not through Amazon) did a great job. Hope I like my STM Grip when I get home to use it for the first time, fingers crossed.

BJ

will25u

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Placed my order, less than 48 hours later it's at my house. Beach Audio (direct, not through Amazon) did a great job. Hope I like my STM Grip when I get home to use it for the first time, fingers crossed.

BJ

Where are you located?

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
BJ
I ordered mine from Amazon/Beach and just a few hours later, received an item has shipped notification along with US Postal Service tracking number with est delivery date of April 13th. Oddly, when i go to track my package, it doesn't appear in the US Postal System. I called Beach Audio directly and they advised me that though the company headquarters is located in California (where I live as well), they actually ship out of Atlanta, GA. The sales rep said the package is initially shipped out via UPS (United Parcel Service) and then passed on to the US Postal service at the destination region/city for actual delivery, and is the reason my package is not showing up in the US Postal Service tracking system yet. I only hope they are right.

Has anyone else heard of this kind of shipping partnership between UPS and the US Postal Service?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Still think should I get the smart cover or not... or get a folio case like this ....

I'll have a better opinion tonight when I get home, but the promise of this case is that it's got a much thinner and lighter front cover while having the industry-standard uber-thin and light polycarbonate back. The integrated kickstands are a bonus.

The Smart Cover looks great, but the thick leather, thick padding, and magnetic hinge add a significant amount of bulk and weight. Hoping this is as thin and light as it's appeared in video.

BJ

will25u

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I'm looking forward to your opinion. I currently have a smart cover plus belkin snap shield. Thinking about if I should get this because I don't like the viewing angle of the smart cover and the instability when in viewing mode.

ematsui

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
I ordered mine from Amazon/Beach and just a few hours later, received an item has shipped notification along with US Postal Service tracking number with est delivery date of April 13th. Oddly, when i go to track my package, it doesn't appear in the US Postal System. I called Beach Audio directly and they advised me that though the company headquarters is located in California (where I live as well), they actually ship out of Atlanta, GA. The sales rep said the package is initially shipped out via UPS (United Parcel Service) and then passed on to the US Postal service at the destination region/city for actual delivery, and is the reason my package is not showing up in the US Postal Service tracking system yet. I only hope they are right.

Has anyone else heard of this kind of shipping partnership between UPS and the US Postal Service?

Yes its called UPS mail innovations.. , UPS will ship to your closest USPS, and the USPS handles the To Door delivery

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Yes its called UPS mail innovations.. , UPS will ship to your closest USPS, and the USPS handles the To Door delivery
ematsui,
Many thanks for your heads up about "UPS mail innovations". I was not aware of this UPS/US Postal Service partnership before.
I went back and utilized the iPad "Deliveries Staus Touch App" and re-entered the tracking number in the "UPS mail innovations" section and it now shows my package was picked up in Atlanta and due to arrive to me here in California this Friday.
:cool:

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
I just tried my camera attachment and it seems to fit fine. I had to go and find it that's how much I use mine!:D eh, maybe with iphoto I'll use it more.

Anyway, as others said cases are personal preference. I have a Griffin Intellcase as well and don't care for it. Others like it as it fits their needs.

That is the great thing about this place, all the good reviews.

And Beach Audio was super quick through Amazon as I mentioned!

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
still waiting for my Berry from Beach

Just noticed Amazon is carrying Berry with Amazon Prime today
only 16 left

Wish I could have gotten it, I would have gotten it Friday for sure!

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'm looking forward to your opinion. I currently have a smart cover plus belkin snap shield. Thinking about if I should get this because I don't like the viewing angle of the smart cover and the instability when in viewing mode.

Got the case, put it on, my thoughts:

1. Everything you've heard about this being the best folio case from a thinness standpoint as well as a weight standpoint is absolutely true.

2. The plastic cover is a revelation, really reduces weight while offering superior protection and style.

3. The latching hinge is really well designed, holds the iPad on tight and doesn't scratch. Really nice job here.

4. The back/front cover grooves are really underrated. While they look nice cosmetically, the real benefit is an enhanced grip on the front and the back.

5. The integrated stands work really well, and are extremely thin, you don't even realize that you're carrying them around with you.

6. The only negative, and it's a big one, is that this is a folio style case and the cover definitely gets in the way. As another poster pointed out, the cover does feel a little loose and the plastic closing hinge does stick out and thus becomes an obstruction in your hands when trying to type in book mode. Of all the folio cases I've ever experienced, this one is most definitely the toughest to type in book mode because of the location of the hinge.

So, for folio lovers this case is at the top of the heap. Because of its lightweight and integrated cover design, it really is tops in protection and convenience.

But for people who only tolerate folios using them in certain situations, this one has some downsides that are hard to ignore. Mainly, the looseness of the cover and the plastic hinge in your hands.

So for me personally, I'm going to keep this case only to use as a travel companion. For daily use, I'm going to stick with one of my thin polycarbonate shells with tactile rubber coating as it is the best way to explore and type on the The New iPad for me. The folio thing, no matter how hard I try, is just a no-go. Love the look of the Smart Cover and the on/off sleep functionality but all these covers slip around in your hands and make typing too hard especially in book mode. Apple understands the ergonomics, thus the removable magnetic cover, but that too isn't perfect. In order to have that flexibility, your cover has an exposed edge that isn't comfortable when typing either.

Hope this helps.

BJ

pbateman.as

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Got the case, put it on, my thoughts:

1. Everything you've heard about this being the best folio case from a thinness standpoint as well as a weight standpoint is absolutely true.

2. The plastic cover is a revelation, really reduces weight while offering superior protection and style.

3. The latching hinge is really well designed, holds the iPad on tight and doesn't scratch. Really nice job here.

4. The back/front cover grooves are really underrated. While they look nice cosmetically, the real benefit is an enhanced grip on the front and the back.

5. The integrated stands work really well, and are extremely thin, you don't even realize that you're carrying them around with you.

6. The only negative, and it's a big one, is that this is a folio style case and the cover definitely gets in the way. As another poster pointed out, the cover does feel a little loose and the plastic closing hinge does stick out and thus becomes an obstruction in your hands when trying to type in book mode. Of all the folio cases I've ever experienced, this one is most definitely the toughest to type in book mode because of the location of the hinge.

So, for folio lovers this case is at the top of the heap. Because of its lightweight and integrated cover design, it really is tops in protection and convenience.

But for people who only tolerate folios using them in certain situations, this one has some downsides that are hard to ignore. Mainly, the looseness of the cover and the plastic hinge in your hands.

So for me personally, I'm going to keep this case only to use as a travel companion. For daily use, I'm going to stick with one of my thin polycarbonate shells with tactile rubber coating as it is the best way to explore and type on the The New iPad for me. The folio thing, no matter how hard I try, is just a no-go. Love the look of the Smart Cover and the on/off sleep functionality but all these covers slip around in your hands and make typing too hard especially in book mode. Apple understands the ergonomics, thus the removable magnetic cover, but that too isn't perfect. In order to have that flexibility, your cover has an exposed edge that isn't comfortable when typing either.

Hope this helps.

BJ

I'm pretty much with you. My biggest issue is how the inside front of the case rests on whatever surface it rests on and the larger footprint. I really do like the material, weight, feel, etc. I might end up doing like you and only use it in certain situations. Still have my Smart Cover.

will25u

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I just received mine but going to be returning it because the sleep/wake feature is not working and the camera cutout is not aligned, it's almost touching the silver outer part of the camera :eek:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I just received mine but going to be returning it because the sleep/wake feature is not working and the camera cutout is not aligned, it's almost touching the silver outer part of the camera

Sounds like they shipped you an iPad 2 version. Mine fits perfectly.

BJ

ematsui

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Got my Berry Grip yesterday. Ordered from BeachAudio via Amazon on tuesday and it came yesterday, i picked the 5-7 business day shipping too.. very fast.

I love the case, I am really surprised of the quality of materials used on this case, the plastic is of high quality and it is just put together quite well.

I love how the cover closes on the ipad the same everytime with no flopiness or give. I tried a bunch of other folio cases and the covers were always floppy, moved around and never closed aligned unless you tried hard. There is only one way for this to close.

The only drawbacks i see so far is the sturdiness of the kickstand, it does wobble a bit. Also holding the ipad in book mode isnt the most natrual because of the lip on teh cover.

Overrall I love this case.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Got my Berry Grip yesterday. Ordered from BeachAudio via Amazon on tuesday and it came yesterday, i picked the 5-7 business day shipping too.. very fast.

I love the case, I am really surprised of the quality of materials used on this case, the plastic is of high quality and it is just put together quite well.

I love how the cover closes on the ipad the same everytime with no flopiness or give. I tried a bunch of other folio cases and the covers were always floppy, moved around and never closed aligned unless you tried hard. There is only one way for this to close.

The only drawbacks i see so far is the sturdiness of the kickstand, it does wobble a bit. Also holding the ipad in book mode isnt the most natrual because of the lip on teh cover.

Overrall I love this case.

I'm actually using it right now and contrary to my earlier criticism the cover lip isn't so bad from a book-mode-typing standpoint at all. Just takes a little getting used to.

Was in a rush, quickly needed to get my unprotected The New iPad into a case and the STM Grip's easy in/out connectivity gives me a totally new perspective on its usefulness.

BJ

reebs

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Got my Berry one today and I love this case. My 2 needs for an iPad case was being light weight as possible and the stand features. This fits the bill. I actually use this case and my MoKo slim in a stand not featured. I use my iPad in bed a lot watching movies and I've found I can get more angles using the cases this way. http://s20.photobucket.com/home/reebs90/index

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
I use my iPad in bed a lot watching movies and I've found I can get more angles using the cases this way. http://s20.photobucket.com/home/reebs90/index
Ditto +1 :)

I too received my Black Grip today from Amazon/Beach, and I'm really enjoying mine as well. Really esp appreciate its thin lightweight form factor and the flexibilty of being able to use it on my lap when sitting or propped up on its stand while lying in bed or while seated at a table. I didn't experience difficulty retracting either of Grip's legs. The 2 different leg supports sit nicely into the case grooves making for acceptably stable typing, at least from my perspective. Sleep wake feature works fine too. My only concern is how long it will take for the "back side" of the front cover to get soiled, especially because it rests directly on the screen when closed. When using this case it will be important to remember to always check to make sure whatever table surface you will be using it on is wiped clean of liquid or debris first, but this is no different than when using the Apple Smart cover as a stand. That said, I prefer the STM Grip setup vs the Apple smart cover + 3rd party back cover approach. :)

Last edited:

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
psychonaut's reviews just sold me this case. Bought a Berry Grip from RadTech.

I'm pretty happy with the Vedo + Smart Cover. But then one of my colleagues picked up my iPad today and commented on the unusual thickness and heft of it.

It was the gadgetry equivalent of a "your butt looks fat" moment.

And yeah, thinking about it, adding 12oz and 3mm or so to the iPad isn't insignificant. So, comfortable as they are, figure I'd give going skinny a shot.

I'm hoping the fact that I typically hold the iPad in my left hand will mitigate the book-style concerns.

Tarjas

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
FL
Been using the grip for a few days now- very pleased with the fit, protection, and price. One comment, though not ideal you can use the kickstands with the front cover not folded underneath if you are using it on a dirty surface. It's a little less stable but it is an option if you are in a pinch... General protection is A+, particularly pleased with the thick, sturdy corners, I think this case will provide a lot of drop protection despite being so light/thin (hope to not test my theory but my kids will I'm sure). Thanks for all the comments that helped me decide on the case. Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.