Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
As if you disprove anything. All the profits were made on iPhone. Mac and iPad sales were below consensus, guidance is below consensus. These are the facts.

Yet the only thing the analyst were worried about was how many iPhones the company sold, which was much higher than most thought

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wish they would also quote the change from the previous quarter rather than just stating the change from the same quarter last year, so we can see the whole picture.

It looks like sales in Q2 dropped significantly from Q1 despite the fact that the new iPad launched in Q2 and the iPhone 4S didn't launch until Q2 in a number of countries around the world.

I know Q2 sales always drop from Q1, I would just like to know how big the drop was compared to previous years so we can look forward.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Seeing them call the PC sales "CPU" sales irks me almost as much as trying to differentiate their PCs from Windows machines.

They're PCs and laptops, doesn't matter what brand makes them.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I wonder if the iPad number being lower than estimates was due to supply constraints (they sold every one made, and just couldn't make them any faster)? I guess the conference call should shed light on that.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So, Mac sales were below estimates as were iPad sales. Q3 guidance is below consensus and below Q2. I think aftermarket action is way off (it often is for many companies on the day when they report quarterly results). It does not look like AAPL is going up from now. It looks like it will go down.

And here's what you had to say about Apple's record-setting Holiday Quarter, to which the quarter just passed is being compared.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14220320/

Quote: "Samsung Electronics Co. (005930)’s capital expenditure dwarfs that of competitors and has helped make it the world’s biggest maker of TVs, memory chips and flat-screen panels. Record spending this year may further pressure rivals.
Samsung and its affiliates plan to spend 47.8 trillion won ($42 billion) this year on new product research and upgrading plants, the group said this month. The Suwon, South Korea-based company, which reports full-year earnings tomorrow, spent more than Sony Corp. (6758), Intel Corp. (INTC) and Cisco Systems Inc. combined in 2010, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
The spending spree will enable the chips and display supplier to Apple Inc. and Sony to build on record sales last year and boost profit that doubled in the five years to 2010. That may leave competing makers, already mired in losses from a glut of commodity chips, even farther behind in their quest to diversify into the higher-margin specialty semiconductors for phones and tablets that have made Samsung so successful.
“We have a Goliath in the technology industry,” said Kim Hyung Sik, a Seoul-based analyst at Taurus Investment Securities Co. “The gap between Samsung and the laggards will keep widening, particularly in memory chips.”"

Now that's what wise investment is. Samsung re-invests their profits. In return they get research (order of magnitude more patents than Apple has), manufacturing prowess (semiconductor FABs etc.) and much more. What does Apple have? A lot of hype. Imagine if the next iPhone is not popular (may happen even if it's technically OK - just because people get bored with it), what happens to Apple? What do they have?

LOL . . . some sort of baloney about Samsung and Apple's "hype."

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I wish they would also quote the change from the previous quarter rather than just stating the change from the same quarter last year, so we can see the whole picture.

It looks like sales in Q2 dropped significantly from Q1 despite the fact that the new iPad launched in Q2 and the iPhone 4S didn't launch until Q2 in a number of countries around the world.

I know Q2 sales always drop from Q1, I would just like to know how big the drop was compared to previous years so we can look forward.

You can see that here

http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q2fy12datasum.pdf

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
After-hours trading is thinner than regular market trading, but it is no more "speculative" than the regular markets. Whether it holds up or by how much will be dependent on overnight developments, particularly in European markets.

It is much more speculative. Being thinner, it is much easier to manipulate.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
It's just an after-market speculation. We'll see what happens tomorrow (or even in one hour)

Down voted for the truth... pathetic. Also, the stock is back to $560, but it doesn't matter, because it goes up and down all the time.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seeing them call the PC sales "CPU" sales irks me almost as much as trying to differentiate their PCs from Windows machines.

They're PCs and laptops, doesn't matter what brand makes them.

Apple will never, on their own, publicly - especially in a conference call, use the term "PCs" to refer to their products. Which runs the risk of lumping Apple products together with those "other" PCs.

Brand and product differentiation. Either you're serious and diligent about it, or you're not.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
iTunes Music store: "28 thousand songs and 48 million movies"???

This is what the Conference Call guy just said. I think it was an error.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
They can 'drop' that Other into my bank account. :D

True, but keep in mind that iPhones and iPads are basically a hybrid of Macs and iPods. For most people, iOS has made it possible to offer the best of both worlds so it's only natural to see this shift.

Depends on what the profit margin is. If it makes sense to keep them they will, otherwise... sad farewell.

I prefer my classic, especially for driving, since I don't have to look at it and try to hit a touch screen to change songs.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
And here's what you had to say about Apple's record-setting Holiday Quarter, to which the quarter just passed is being compared.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14220320/

LOL . . . some sort of baloney about Samsung and Apple's "hype."

What's your point. I said Samsung was a better long term investment and it is. Apple success is predicated on a single product - iPhone. Imagine someone (say, Samsung) releases a phone that becomes much more popular than iPhone or Motorola succeeds in banning iPhone imports (which it is close to) and APPL goes to where? $200?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So tomorrow when it opens up 5-7 percent or more, are you going to be here eating crow, or slink off to hide?

I have no doubt it will open higher. Maybe not 7% though. Going forward though, it's hard to see where the grows is going to come from. TVs?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
All those should be red, except the monitor obv.

I think some are yellow because the guide is based on previous release schedules. The portables have been getting refreshed more frequently than desktops in recent history. As for the MacPro... I think two years without a refresh is nuts for a company that sells computers. It would be even crazier to pay full price for 2+ year old tech. When/if Apple does update the desktop lines, I have absolutely no doubt there will be a jump in sales.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It is much more speculative. Being thinner, it is much easier to manipulate.

All trading is speculative and all trading manipulates the market, by definition. If you don't understand those two basic principles then I suggest that you steer a wide berth around the stock markets.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What's your point. I said Samsung was a better long term investment and it is. Apple success is predicated on a single product - iPhone.

Apple's success is predicated on their entire lineup, and on the strength of the Apple ecosystem that ties everything together.

Imagine someone (say, Samsung) releases a phone that becomes much more popular than iPhone or Motorola succeeds in banning iPhone imports (which it is close to) and APPL goes to where? $200?

The reason Imagination-Land is awesome is because you don't have to base what you're saying on reality, just on hypothetical **** you *wish* would happen.

You can throw out as many "what-ifs" as you like. It still won't make them any more likely or credible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.