Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers

Try disabling all add-ons or plug ins you have in Safari and see what happens. Also, try resetting it to its factory settings as well.

mcard

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.

Pretty much the same issues I'm having. Video/audio also aren't in sync anymore (the further on in the video, the more they drift apart).

Do you have any extensions installed?

I tried disabling my plug-ins/extensions/add-ons, but that didn't solve anything.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)

It does on my Macs though, but since the Flashback trojan I get my updates directly from Adobe.

RogerThatRocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I have same issue in Safari. You Tube suggests resetting your cache and cookies in your browser or wait for the entire video to buffer. I find it funny that the advertisements play perfectly as soon as you click on the video, but the video lags. I've updated my Flash but it didn't resolve anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.