Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Especially for a computer that's what, 7 or 8 years old already. If he actually uses it for 5 years, that would make it at least 12 years old. That's insane for a computer, especially for one that has next to no current software support.

Its possible, I have a couple high end PIII Boxes that I still use from time to time, not every day. I think the best one is a 1gzh PIII with a gig of ram and just a retarded amount of hard drives, running XP Pro and I think Its got almost 2TB of total storage.

I could still use it for the most part for day to day stuff, just because its 12 years old doesnt mean it cant be useful. That goes for Macs and PCs.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Now I'll be using a iMac G4 1.25 GHz as only machine. Just made a bet that I'll keep it as my only computer for the coming 5 years. Upgraded RAM to 2GB and space to 400GB.

Please tell me that the bet is for such a significant sum you'll never need to work again or something!

I'm getting quite inspired by these attempts to use solely older computers. I have my 867 Quicksilver on my desk, maybe I'll turn my mini off for a week and see how I cope...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Wow! I a bit surprised some people here in MR bit into the idea. Right now the oldest PPC mac near me is the iMac G5. All of my G4's and a G3 were shipped out to my other place.

If I still have them, I would love to use my Powermac B&W G3 with OS9 on it.

What I really like with the older OS'es is that they are pretty quick sans the eye candy. For me the eye candies that we see on the newer Mac OSX robbed the horsepower and resources for actually performing the function that matters.

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I think I could live with just my Powermac G5. The thing is a solid work horse and can bully though everything except youtube:)rolleyes:)

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I think I could live with just my Powermac G5. The thing is a solid work horse and can bully though everything except youtube:)rolleyes:)

No way! Are you actually having problems with youtube on your "8Gb RAM at 2.3ghz DC"-G5's? That's pretty weird, because I can watch 720p in fullscreen on youtube with my temporary G5 (dual 1.8Ghz, 3.5GB RAM). :confused:

rossmosis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
I've been doing something similar--set my i5 ThinkPad aside and have been using my G5 exclusively for a couple weeks. I have it hooked up to my 32" 1080p television and a 17" Dell LCD. I expect my webpages to load instantly, these past few years I've been completely spoiled by fast computers and my expectations are high and this G5 has delivered more than I thought. I have 4GB of RAM and two 160GB 7200rpm HDDs in it. Here's what I've been doing:

--Playing Unreal Tournament 2004 at the highest settings well streaming Pandora. (Actually streaming Pandora while doing almost everything listed below)
--Using MacTubes
--Facebook: Chat, Games, etc
--Torrents
--Watching 720p videos on my television
--Watching DVDs using VLC
--A little Adobe CS4 and Word 08
--Using the latest TenFourFoxG5 as my browser to view: Forums, Ebay, News websites (usually packed with ads that can slow down any browser), and email. Really everything I do normally works, and works fast.

It does EVERYTHING pretty much perfectly. I definitely miss Netflix and all of my other software that requires a new computer, but most people would be completely satisfied with it. The tower is absolutely beautiful too, sometimes I just stare at it...

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
OK, have turned my mini off and am now surfing on the old 867 Quicksilver. I think this thing has had it's 10th birthday recently. I've got 1.25 GB of Ram and a 60 GB HD. Dropbox is up and running so anything I need to have on the mini later I can just upload. The wifi connection is b, so pretty sluggish. But hey, I'm online aren't I? I'll see how long I can go before I need to do something on the mini (note - need, not want!). Hopefully I can hold out for a week or two.

Damn, just realised I've left the DVD I was watching in the mini, it'll have to stay there for the timebeing!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Use the HTML5 version of YouTube and not the Flash version. It works much better.

I've been using HTML5 for on YouTube for a while & still, it chokes on 480p, and it's pretty much a slideshow on 720p. Could that be down the amount of RAM in there?

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The HTML5-version actually makes the video stutter for me. It's smoother with the "regular" for some reason. I don't really know why, I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. :)

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Yeah, Flash is just an irritant for my G5, but enough to hit it where it hurts. The HTML5 version runs perfectly fine though!

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2012
Are you guys running Mactubes? Because I have no problems viewing videos with it, even in full screen. No stuttering at all.

rossmosis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
no mactubes. just youtube.com. i know of mactubes, but prefer to avoid excess stuff if i have to...

I feel the same way, I hate unnecessary programs but I had to make a huge exception for MacTubes, it is absolutely amazing. I'd recommend trying it, even if you don't use it all the time it can definitely come in handy.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
As stated, I don't have problems playing videos on youtube.com but I also installed MacTubes because it's such a handy little application. And the download feature is golden.

Edit: I just tried youtube with my new G5 (dual 2.0GHz, 5GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 XT) and it didn't work nearly as well as on my other one mentioned before.

Last edited:

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
5 years is a pretty long time in this world, I'm torn between feeling sceptical and incredibly impressed/inspired.
I'm just starting a PhD in biochemistry. So basically the bet is to have it as my work computer for the entire PhD (~5 years). And since I sold the Air, I won't have a computer at home. Just me and my iPhone.

And oh the bet is for 500 SEK, ~70 USD, so it won't be enough for a new computer in the end :)

I have started to meet Mr Beachball much more often now. I hadn't seen him for many years but now he comes visiting me every minute. I hope we stay friends..

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I'm just starting a PhD in biochemistry. So basically the bet is to have it as my work computer for the entire PhD (~5 years). And since I sold the Air, I won't have a computer at home. Just me and my iPhone.

And oh the bet is for 500 SEK, ~70 USD, so it won't be enough for a new computer in the end :)

I have started to meet Mr Beachball much more often now. I hadn't seen him for many years but now he comes visiting me every minute. I hope we stay friends..

Are you also from Sweden? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.