Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Can't believe it. Go Caps! Kept the streak of goalies dominating the playoffs and the underdog/smaller market team winning.

Sorry, I've just never been a fan of the Bs personally.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Here's a pic of me and a teammate making a cool save. I do have a red and black mask. ;) The reasons for us playing free is the physical risk and cost of equipment. Injuries are a given, and you need to buy the best stuff you can. Skaters spend several hundred on equipment. We spend a few thousand on equipment, not to mention medical bills. One thing you need to accept is that you will get hurt playing hockey, especially as a goalie and even more so if you're a bit older like me. If you're not OK with injuries, play another sport. You will get hurt playing hockey. BUT, you will also have more fun than you've ever had in your life. I can guarantee you that. Hockey is a blast.

I use iGo or have friends drive me to rinks. Bring your stuff up man and play! There are tons of rinks here. I'll PM you my email. There is a good open skate at Robert Crown Center in Evanston in the summer on Saturdays from 4:30-6 that I pretty much run. Skills range from juniors/minors to beginners. It's a good place to practice with some great, really skilled guys. That starts first week in June through September.

I think you're being a little extreme with the injuries part. Sure you may get a couple bruises here and there, but nothing serious. It's not like you're going to the hospital after a session of shinny. If you are paying a lot of medical bills then you are doing something wrong and I'd be glad to help you change that.

Of course there is always a chance of a serious injury (as in any sport you play) but as long as you have correct equipment that fits you properly, you should be fine.

Just thought I'd say this because you make it seem like us goalies visit the hospital every week and it may discourage new and upcoming goalies.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think you're being a little extreme with the injuries part. Sure you may get a couple bruises here and there, but nothing serious. It's not like you're going to the hospital after a session of shinny. If you are paying a lot of medical bills then you are doing something wrong and I'd be glad to help you change that.

Of course there is always a chance of a serious injury (as in any sport you play) but as long as you have correct equipment that fits you properly, you should be fine.

Just thought I'd say this because you make it seem like us goalies visit the hospital every week and it may discourage new and upcoming goalies.

It depends who you play with. If you play with beginners and such, risk is pretty low. But when you play with more skilled guys, those pucks can really do some damage. In a year, I've had more bruises and cuts than I can count, pulled my groin twice, got a mild concussion and a broken foot. I also got nailed on the side of my neck with a slap shot two weeks ago (and a dangler did not help). I'm not trying to scare anyone or discourage them, but I can only speak from my own experience.

And no, we don't go to the hospital every week. You are correct. I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
It depends who you play with. If you play with beginners and such, risk is pretty low. But when you play with more skilled guys, those pucks can really do some damage. In a year, I've had more bruises and cuts than I can count, pulled my groin twice, got a mild concussion and a broken foot. I also got nailed on the side of my neck with a slap shot two weeks ago (and a dangler did not help). I'm not trying to scare anyone or discourage them, but I can only speak from my own experience.

And no, we don't go to the hospital every week. You are correct. I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

The bruises are just part of the role. I've become so accustom to them that when I get a puck in a spot with no padding I'm almost use to it. Sure it stings for a couple minutes but the swelling and bruising is almost second nature.

I play with OHL guys, so they shoot just as hard as guys that play in the NHL. Some actually shoot harder. The pucks do sting at times but I guess it's something I've just gotten use to.

As for your pulled groin, stretching properly before you play will definitely help. I'd recommend getting half ready and then spend 10 minutes stretching properly. You'd be surprised at how many goalies do not do this. This also helps you get focused if you do it outside the dressing room and away from the guys. I'd definitely recommend trying it if you don't already.

I'm kinda curious to how you got the broken foot though. Was it from a shot or did you fall awkwardly on it?

Your flexibility will also prevent injuries and I'd recommend daily stretching for 10-20 minutes while you're at home. Once or twice a day. You would really benefit from this if you're not already really flexible.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
The bruises are just part of the role. I've become so accustom to them that when I get a puck in a spot with no padding I'm almost use to it. Sure it stings for a couple minutes but the swelling and bruising is almost second nature.

I play with OHL guys, so they shoot just as hard as guys that play in the NHL. Some actually shoot harder. The pucks do sting at times but I guess it's something I've just gotten use to.

As for your pulled groin, stretching properly before you play will definitely help. I'd recommend getting half ready and then spend 10 minutes stretching properly. You'd be surprised at how many goalies do not do this. This also helps you get focused if you do it outside the dressing room and away from the guys. I'd definitely recommend trying it if you don't already.

I'm kinda curious to how you got the broken foot though. Was it from a shot or did you fall awkwardly on it?

Your flexibility will also prevent injuries and I'd recommend daily stretching for 10-20 minutes while you're at home. Once or twice a day. You would really benefit from this if you're not already really flexible.

I do stretch quite a bit beforehand. I will do more in the future. The broken foot was due to playing too much and age (5 night a week and I'm 45- can't do that much anymore). I ended up with 5 stress fractures in a metatarsal bone. It took three and a half months to heal, and I'm still working on getting the strength back in the foot. I skate better than I walk now.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Hell of a series by both teams. As much as I hoped the Bruins could win it all again this year, in the back of my mind I didn't expect them to. I think it's quite telling that both teams from the finals last year are out in the first round this year. That extra two months of hockey last summer finally caught up to them. Both the Bruins and the Capitals played well in the series, which EVERY game was decided by 1 goal (and four in overtime). That was quite impressive. I wish it would have went the other way, but that's how sports go. It's not one of those series where you can blame one bad call or one guy for one mistake that cost it. Both sides played their hearts out. The Caps just had that extra little bit of energy when they needed it, and it seems like the Bruins were just spent. Oh well.

Thanks to the Bruins for what could be the most amazing year and a half for me as a Bruins fan in my lifetime. I know this team gave it everything they had and left it all out on the ice, but after 107 games last year and 89 this year there was just nothing left. There's nothing wrong with that and all those guys should be proud of what they accomplished. I hope the boys can enjoy a nice relaxing summer and come back in October rested and ready to bring the Cup back to Boston again.

It's been fun this year guys (even though most of us don't agree on much). Best of luck to all the teams still in the playoffs. I'll probably pop in once and a while, but I won't be here as much over the summer. See you all in October.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Let's go Rangers!

Congrats! While I'm bummed for my coach (Craig Anderson), Lundqvist really delivered. He was quite awesome. It was definitely the battle of the goalies tonight- the skaters all did well. Both teams were winners tonight. They both proved they deserved to be in the playoffs- very classy, skilled, well-played game. That's the kind of game everyone should be proud of.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Damn. Someone needs to knock the Rangers out before the finals so the Blues are guaranteed home ice advantage if they make it that far.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Are they still playing hockey?

j/k ;) Good game last night to allow NY to move on. Almost had the 5,6,7,&8 seeds in the east moving forward.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
They are mere Princes. Hank is King. :D

IMO, Quick deserves the Vezina by a nose, but Hank is going to get it as a combination of great stats + lifetime achievement (never won) + East Coast.

Quick: 4 less wins (35) in 7 more games than Hank (though pt totals from Ws + OTLs same), 0.02 less GAA (1.95), 0.01 less SV% (.929), but 2 more SOs (10-8).

So with that breakdown it appears like Hank edges out Quick, but Quick also had 17 games where he only allowed 1 goal (so that's 27 games of 1 goal or less and yet only 35 Ws). Also without Quick, the Kings have no chance of making the playoffs and then ultimately beating Vancouver.

Rinne, although a beast, has no chance winning this year. Although a work horse at 73 games/43 wins, wins are overrated for a goalie (Howard, who missed almost a month this season, had 35 wins in 16 less appearances).

Rinne has a 0.42-0.44 higher GAA (2.39), 0.06-0.07 less SV% (.923), and only 5 SOs. If you were looking at stats and importance to the team, Smith should really be the 3rd finalist with his line of 38 W - 2.21 GAA - .930 SV% - 8 SOs and incredible reliance of his team on his success.

Last edited:

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Congrats! While I'm bummed for my coach (Craig Anderson), Lundqvist really delivered. He was quite awesome. It was definitely the battle of the goalies tonight- the skaters all did well. Both teams were winners tonight. They both proved they deserved to be in the playoffs- very classy, skilled, well-played game. That's the kind of game everyone should be proud of.

Lundqvist made some amazing saves, had some luck with the bounce from his mask and was unlucky to have next to no reaction time on the Ottawa goal.

Might need to go get myself a Rangers jersey soon...

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
Lundqvist made some amazing saves, had some luck with the bounce from his mask and was unlucky to have next to no reaction time on the Ottawa goal.

Might need to go get myself a Rangers jersey soon...

If I were you I'd worry about that Holtby kid;):D:cool:
Peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.