Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:21 PM   #26
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
That's understandable. Computers are too hard to use for lots of people.
Or maybe folks make the iPads work for them? Way to go on the snarky response too!
__________________
Proud owner of a Mid 2013 Macbook Air
64GB iPhone 6 Plus
32GB Wifi+4G iPad 4
iphone1105 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:19 PM   #27
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
If you go over and read his blog, you'd know that AnthonyMoody has a job that keeps him on the go a lot, which is why he finds iPad to be his most useful productivity tool. His usage case doesn't apply to everyone, but it's a good counter-example to people claiming that the iPad can't be a productivity tool.
Even though I have a very intense travel schedule six times per year (USA & International) I carry either my 15" MBP or 13" MBA everywhere. In my case nothing but a computer will do. But then again, I have an above average level of fitness, therefore their size & weight are not an issue.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:31 PM   #28
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
Way to go on the snarky response too!
Apples the one that's bent on making iOS & in turn OS X easier for consumers to use, arguing that technology should reside in the background.

So before you assume... and shoot from the hip with a condescending comment to satisfy your ego by making an unfounded accusation, remember it's Apple who's preaching this dialog.

It's all about saving new users from having to learn & grow. According to Apple's self proclaimed Post PC Era, just buy an a iPad, it's easy peasy
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:01 PM   #29
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Even though I have a very intense travel schedule six times per year (USA & International) I carry either my 15" MBP or 13" MBA everywhere. In my case nothing but a computer will do. But then again, I have an above average level of fitness, therefore their size & weight are not an issue.
Well, I personly don't have to travel, but I have to admit that if I did have to travel, then I couldn't do with just an iPad -- I'd have to bring a MacBook Air, even though I'd love to not have to drag the extra size and weight. I'm not the fittest person in the world, so the difference in weight would be very big for me. I'm quite envious of people like AnthonyMoody who's able to make do with the iPad only. But I'd never assume that he's doing it because he's somehow less fit than you. It just makes sense that if you are able to get work done with a lighter piece of equipment, then that"s what you bring, no matter what your fitness level. Otherwise, we could all be lugging around those clunky 10+ pound so-called portable computers from the 80s, provided we were fit enough to lug it around.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:06 PM   #30
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020
 
Cheffy Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Well, I personly don't have to travel, but I have to admit that if I did have to travel, then I couldn't do with just an iPad -- I'd have to bring a MacBook Air, even though I'd love to not have to drag the extra size and weight. I'm not the fittest person in the world, so the difference in weight would be very big for me. I'm quite envious of people like AnthonyMoody who's able to make do with the iPad only. But I'd never assume that he's doing it because he's somehow less fit than you. It just makes sense that if you are able to get work done with a lighter piece of equipment, then that"s what you bring, no matter what your fitness level. Otherwise, we could all be lugging around those clunky 10+ pound so-called portable computers from the 80s, provided we were fit enough to lug it around.
Well, I thought so too, but I just installed Go To My PC, on my iPad, via the free App, and on my Main Mac for the 30 day free trial,(which must be up and on to view the whole machine), all my files are viewable on my iPad. I look at it as a viable alternative to drop box, which I have yet to understand,( be kind here I'm 64). For me by working with the original files, there is no syncing,( something I never got dropbox to do).I love to have all my files, with me anywhere.GTMPC,
Mac version,just might be a killer app, even with the monthly charge.
Just my 2 cents.
__________________
lotsa "stuff"
Cheffy Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:31 PM   #31
astrorider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
For the price the kindle fire is a great side kick to a larger more full featured device, in fact I sometimes prefer it for typing activities because of the ability to reach the entire keyboard when held with both hands whereas I have to chicken peak with larger tablets (ipad 2/motorola xoom from personal experience). Perhaps my hands are small but I can't set either in landscape mod, hold with both hands and be able to reach the entire keyboard with my thumbs.
Use the split keyboard on the iPad. It was made to address what you're describing.
astrorider is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:52 PM   #32
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I don't use any amazon related services, am I the only one Out there who doesn't ?
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #33
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
Well, I thought so too, but I just installed Go To My PC, on my iPad, via the free App, and on my Main Mac for the 30 day free trial,(which must be up and on to view the whole machine), all my files are viewable on my iPad. I look at it as a viable alternative to drop box, which I have yet to understand,( be kind here I'm 64). For me by working with the original files, there is no syncing,( something I never got dropbox to do).I love to have all my files, with me anywhere.GTMPC,
Mac version,just might be a killer app, even with the monthly charge.
Just my 2 cents.
DropBox is probably the number one innovation over the past year or two (not sure how old it is, but it's late last year that it caught on). It can't open every file type on the iPad, so it's not a be-all-end-all solution, but for what it can do, it is transformative. It lets us stay in the old model of files and folders, but with the benefits of the cloud. I use it on a daily basis, many days on an hourly basis. I can get anything from my iPhone, my files are synced to multiple computers, I have shared folders, and when others update stuff it's right there for me, and anything I save in a Dropbox-linked folder is instantly backed up.

Once you install DropBox on your Mac, it's pretty much automatic. If you save something in there, it syncs on it's own. The only thing is, it's basically read-only on the iPhone/iPad, with the exception for me of uploading pictures and videos. There may be some apps that can upload to it, but in my experience it is very much read-only, "pull" not "push".
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:47 PM   #34
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
Well, I thought so too, but I just installed Go To My PC, on my iPad,.
All those types of apps do is let you remote control your PC from your iPad. I find trying to manipulate a mouse + keyboard interface from the iPad very clumsy, and I'd rather use my Air for tasks I can't do directly on my iPad. Plus it doesn't work when you don't have an Internet connection, like on the subway.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:56 PM   #35
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Don't get me wrong, I really like my iPad. Yet for me the highest & best use is recreational.

I only mentioned fitness because so many people complain about what is essentially a very light laptop.

No matter if we're talking any size MBP or MBA, Apples are at least a full pound lighter & more compact than the competition. I know, I've had an awful lot of new Macs & other brands.

Nothing is quite as nice as a new MBP or MBA.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 PM   #36
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
All those types of apps do is let you remote control your PC from your iPad. I find trying to manipulate a mouse + keyboard interface from the iPad very clumsy, and I'd rather use my Air for tasks I can't do directly on my iPad. Plus it doesn't work when you don't have an Internet connection, like on the subway.
I find it ironic how people are like "my iPad replaces my PC" and then go on to talk about either remote access to a computer, or cloud-based services like CloudON or Onlive that run VMs of what amount to being desktop PCs running on incredibly powerful server-grade hardware.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 PM   #37
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I've been using the iPad as my primary productivity tool recently due to health issues, which is why I upgraded to the new iPad now rather than later as I'd planned. Granted I can't do much of my work on the iPad and so I access my PC using Splashtop, but it's absolutely idiotic to proclaim the iPad just a toy, I do all of my writing on the iPad, which as an author/publisher means it is an important productivity tool for me.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #38
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan View Post
I've been using the iPad as my primary productivity tool recently due to health issues, which is why I upgraded to the new iPad now rather than later as I'd planned. Granted I can't do much of my work on the iPad and so I access my PC using Splashtop, but it's absolutely idiotic to proclaim the iPad just a toy, I do all of my writing on the iPad, which as an author/publisher means it is an important productivity tool for me.
YIKES! Writing on that thing? Even with a bluetooth keyboard, that's a terrible idea. A real computer can have a nice, big natural board attached to it, and a nice, big monitor.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 12:38 AM   #39
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
YIKES! Writing on that thing? Even with a bluetooth keyboard, that's a terrible idea. A real computer can have a nice, big natural board attached to it, and a nice, big monitor.
Yes, but if you are, for instance, confined to bed due to health issues, you don't want that nice big keyboard taking up space on your lap. Sure, writing on the iPad isn't as good an experience as doing it on a full computer, but if my back is hurting too badly for me to sit at my desk, then the iPad lets me get some work done from bed.
Night Spring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:11 AM   #40
0m3ga
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Anyone that calls the ipad 2 or 3 a toy, doesn't know what it is capable of... Especially when it is jailbroken. There is very little I can't do on my ipad, that can be done on a laptop.

A lot of people simply aren't educated enough on the ipad to know its capabilities. I can access all my files and folders, I can attach any type of document to emails, I can manipulate photo's with photoshop touch, I can view and manipulate ct scans, mri's and xrays for doctors, I can create word docs, I can sign, create, edit, mail, save and manipulate pdf's, scan documents on my all-in-one printer and it automatically opens on my ipad for manipulating and emailing, I can transfer any file wirelessly between any ios device and/or pc/mac, i can watch just about any type of video format, i can download torrents via Transmission2, then move the file over and watch them without ever using a computer, the list goes on and on. And now with the Quasar tweak in Cydia, true windows multitasking has arrived. Want 2 or 3 windows open at once to type in one window while watching a video or copying data in the other? No problem.

I haven't touched my MBP in months. With a jailbroken ipad, there really is no need. And again, what I have described here are just a few examples of what the ipad can do. If you still want to call it a toy, then you might as well place the Macbook Air in that category.
0m3ga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:17 AM   #41
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
Don't you find it irritating when people just post a link to a link to an article, add some pointless statistics, and leave you to draw your own conclusions?

So, what's your point?
One aspect is the fact that Amazons tablet has been very successful. Selling to a different demographic, sales volume will not spike as fast as Apple. Nonetheless it's month after month of very steady sales will bring in a much higher sales volume than the naysayers expect.

Based on the differences, and the theory of abundance Amazon will surprise more pundants than care to admit it.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:44 AM   #42
psonice
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Kindle Fire catching up to Ipad (24.5% of all tablets sold)
Catching up? No, it isn't. It's going backwards. Quick reality check:
  • The ipad had a head-start of say ~50 million.
  • To "catch up" the fire has to outsell the ipad by ~50 million.
  • The ipad is outselling it by over 2:1.
  • At that rate the universe will end before the fire catches up.
psonice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:40 AM   #43
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Much of the debate on this forum is about choosing between products, or which one sells the most.

The thing about the Fire and the iPad, is that many people end up owning BOTH. It's not just an either-or buying situation.

That's also why I think it's a good bet that Apple will bring out a smaller tablet. Many people and families have a use for a smartphone, magazine-sized tablet, AND a medium paperback-sized portable.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:03 AM   #44
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I'd quoted several prior posts and constructed a nice thoughtful reply, but then macrumors ate it!

Rather than reconstruct it, I think I will simply say this:

The advantages accorded size and weight are non linear. I.e. something thin that weighs say two pounds isn't simply twice as easy to carry as something that weighing four pounds. And that nonlinear relationship carries pretty much until weightlessness.

Same with usability. The pretty much instantaneous response on the iPad doing the things that everyone does every day leaves PCs (especially) and macs feeling very sluggish, even powerful towers. I'm not talking rendering fx on an EDL. I'm talking opening apps, switching among them, powering up, etc.

Try it. Use an iPad for a couple days for everything except the things it literally cannot do. Then go back to your laptop and see how it feels.

Oh, re file system, Dropbox/dropDAV and iWork combine for pretty easy round tripping. I've posted about it frequently. It's not free, but it's liberating
__________________
iPadAlone.com
Wherein I ponder the reality of an iPad as my primary computer...
anthonymoody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 01:22 PM   #45
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Use the split keyboard on the iPad. It was made to address what you're describing.
Unaware of such feature, teach me please!
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:03 PM   #46
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Much of the debate on this forum is about choosing between products, or which one sells the most.

The thing about the Fire and the iPad, is that many people end up owning BOTH. It's not just an either-or buying situation.

That's also why I think it's a good bet that Apple will bring out a smaller tablet. Many people and families have a use for a smartphone, magazine-sized tablet, AND a medium paperback-sized portable.
The whole appeal of the Kindle is that it has Amazon stuff on it, like native Kindle functionality. A mini iPad wouldn't have that. I can't see Apple diluting their brand like that.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 02:10 PM   #47
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Unaware of such feature, teach me please!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aYdQ4UoKFo
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 03:32 PM   #48
Meyvn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
YIKES! Writing on that thing? Even with a bluetooth keyboard, that's a terrible idea.
Nope. Works great with a Bluetooth keyboard. Do it all the time. A PC is certainly going to be better at that, since they're designed to be used primarily with keyboards.

Quote:
A real computer can have a nice, big natural board attached to it, and a nice, big monitor.
The iPad is a real computer. It's real. It's a computer. And what exactly is a "natural board"? So you're saying the keyboard the iMac and all the Mac notebooks come with are "unnatural"? And not everyone has space for a "nice, big monitor."

And by the way, you still haven't shown how the iPad is a "toy."
Meyvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 03:50 PM   #49
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
YIKES! Writing on that thing? Even with a bluetooth keyboard, that's a terrible idea. A real computer can have a nice, big natural board attached to it, and a nice, big monitor.
First, you can't just say it's a "terrible" idea because a) I've already been doing it for a year, and b) you don't know my personal situation.

I am disabled and using a regular keyboard isn't the easiest thing for me anyway, and I have to do it one-handed. I use a stylus to type with on the iPad, and for me at least, it works well enough.
__________________
- "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." --Satchel Paige
TheWheelMan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:18 PM   #50
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
The whole appeal of the Kindle is that it has Amazon stuff on it, like native Kindle functionality. A mini iPad wouldn't have that. I can't see Apple diluting their brand like that.
On the contrary:

Just like with the Nook, the Kindle app is available for iOS, Android, you name it.

Unlike Apple, neither B&N nor Amazon care if we buy one of their tablets. They just want us as a customer for all their other products

I'd say that the main appeal of the Kindle and Nook are their size and price.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Original Kindle Fire VS lastest Kindle Fire HDX .... Is it worth the upgrade? LIVEFRMNYC Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 13 Dec 28, 2013 08:54 PM
Amazon Introduces 7" and 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX at $229 and $379, Kindle Fire HD Now Starts at $139 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 191 Dec 9, 2013 12:04 AM
Kindle Fire HDX vs iPad Mini ghsNick Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Dec 2, 2013 06:55 PM
Amazon Introduces 8.9-Inch and 7-Inch Kindle Fire HD at $299 and $199, Updated Kindle Fire Drops to $159 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 711 Oct 3, 2012 01:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC