Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I want to design a new database application, running on a local server. Need clients for OSX and iOS (wifi local). Thinking about using CoreData with SQlite for the server application.

Is there a ready solution for using CoreData in a network? Like a framework or a API? Thanks!

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
Not really. Core Data and SQLite are only designed to be used by one process at a time, so having multiple clients connect directly would end in disaster.

Then again, if you write a server application that accepts connections from multiple clients and manages the information in and out of the data store you'd be ok.

Gregdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Thats right, this is exactly what I need.

But... developing this multiple client managing server needs a lot of time. Do you know if there is ready application, API or framework I can use for that? Would pay for it.

Gregdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Matt, thank you for the link to restkit. :)

That seems to be what I am looking for. I will check it the next days.

Gregdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I dont know if restkit.org works with my requirements. I am not a pro in dev. But I want to know which way I have to go. So I tell you more about my project.

I want to have an application for veterinarian, based on a MacMini server with clients for OSX and iOS (no Win) for local use (lan and wifi) in the doctors office. The server need some databases, like accounting, billing and drugs. The clients are for use in the doctors office to document the medical treatment in detail. Not more than 20 clients working in the same time. In the future the iPad should used for home visit by the doctor, also the iOS client on the iPad should sync with iCloud.

What do you think, is restkit.org the best and future-save method designing the server for multiple clients or should I go an other way?

BadWolf13

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2009
I am planning to start a similar application, and when I asked about using CoreData for a multiple user access database, I was advised to use something different. That being said, if you do get this working with CoreData, I would love to hear about it.

johnnylechat

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Bakerman, you may have just become my hero. Thank you for this.

Hello!

Have you used Baseten for your app? Or any other framework?
I'm intersted in the same kind of framework for an app but Baseten seems to be neglected and has not been updated since a few years...

Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.