Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today announced the launch of its Solar Keyboard Folio, a folding case for the new iPad and iPad 2 that incorporates a solar-powered Bluetooth keyboard.
Similar to Logitech's solar keyboards for Mac and PC, the Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio includes onboard solar cells that charge the built-in Bluetooth keyboard in any light, whether indoors or outdoors. When fully charged, the battery lasts for up to two years, even in complete darkness (based on a average use of two hours per day).
logitech_solar_keyboard_folio.jpg

Much like Apple's Smart Cover, the folio also folds to serve as a stand for the iPad, with two positions available: an upright orientation offering full access to the keyboard and a more reclined position that offers access to only the bottom row of the keyboard for media playback controls.

Logitech's Solar Keyboard Folio will carry a retail price of $129.99 and will launch in the United States and Europe later this month.

Article Link: Logitech Announces Solar-Powered iPad Keyboard Case

ikkejick

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
...Or you simply just could buy a Macbook Air. The solar powering is a nice idea, but I'll never understand people actually working with this kind of gadgets for iPad..

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Now, if that could charge the iPad once the keyboard's fully charged, it would be really cool. Mind you, as a I sit here with the heating on and the rain coming down (again) in the great British May, I doubt that solar anything is going to be useful.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Wait, if it last two years when fully charged, why not just ship it fully charged? Seems silly to have an expensive solar tech component when the battery lasts so long.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Now, if that could charge the iPad once the keyboard's fully charged, it would be really cool. Mind you, as a I sit here with the heating on and the rain coming down (again) in the great British May, I doubt that solar anything is going to be useful.

I'm not sure if such a small solar cell can output 10W of energy to charge the iPad. Otherwise your iPad will just show "Not charging" and continue to consume your battery.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Considering BT keyboards last two months on rechargeable AA batteries, the solar panel in this thing would probably not charge an iPad more than 5% if left in direct sunlight for a day. Especially not iPad 3 which takes around 4-5 hours to fully charge from a wall outlet.

This can charge off of any light, so indoor lighting will keep your keyboard charged even when raining.

ddauerbach

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
solar powered keyboard

I have their desktop version and it works just fine indoors. It's a good keyboard and simply never runs out of power. Ambient light is enough.

oheckyeah

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
ABQ, NM

ummm, it EXPLICITLY says you can use it indoors in the post. so it would work fine in your artificial light.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My job regularly requires me to type in perpetual darkness for three years.

So close and yet so far, Logitech. I guess you don’t want my business :(

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
...Or you simply just could buy a Macbook Air. The solar powering is a nice idea, but I'll never understand people actually working with this kind of gadgets for iPad..

For the millionth time: MBA != iPad + KB. I'm not even going to dignify that with an explanation.

A lot of people already use some sort of a case for iPad. Why is it so hard to understand the usefulness of it having a keyboard on which you can quickly and comfortably type a (lengthy) reply to an incoming (urgent) email, or do a (longer) IM session, or use any number of VPN apps to connect to a desktop or an MBP running back at home (or office) to complete some incoming task on it where you wouldn't have to lose the half of the screen to the on-screen keyboard.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
u know having a physical keyboard is overrated.

honestly never use my bluetooth keyboard with my ipad.

maybe if it was part of the case it would change

ibri

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
This seems like a story Logitech paid for. I would honestly have no problem if that was the case, provided it was made clear. Something along the lines of "sponsored story". It shouldn't be masquerading as something newsworthy.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Yeah!

Good news. All products should have cases that are solar electric collectors and thermal electric collectors (another form of 'light'). I have been wishing Apple would do this. Even if it isn't enough to power the device it could trickle charge so that when you don't have wall power your devices gradually regain their charge.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
$130 for a keyboard?! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Especially since a full charge lasts 2 YEARS! Why even make it solar then? Why not just charge it (which would be much faster than solar) once every 2 years via an AC power cord?

$50 and I would buy it. I might just start using the iPad to write longer and more emails.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is quite an expensive toy, though the idea is nice.

I think that is a bit overstated. IPad keyboard cases typically MSRP for $99. A $30 premium here for a keyboard that will never die at exactly the wrong moment isn't that outrageous or toy-like. Plus most $99 keyboard cases street for $60-75 so I suspect this will be discounted too after the early adopters dive in.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

They need to come up with one that runs on moss for the folks in the UK.

----------

My job regularly requires me to type in perpetual darkness for three years.

So close and yet so far, Logitech. I guess you don’t want my business :(

So are you still working at the mushroom farm?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have a generic aluminum body bluetooth keyboard (very pretty) that I bought for £10 and even comes with an on/off switch. If I have to buy batteries once every 4 months for it, I would have to use it for 7-8 years before I spend in consumables what I am expected to spend up front to buy this keyboard. Save your money and use common sense to spend it where it matters (not on bells and whistles!!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-Ericsson-Blackberry/dp/B004J4B0MA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331898982&sr=1-1

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
I have a generic aluminum body bluetooth keyboard (very pretty) that I bought for £10 and even comes with an on/off switch. If I have to buy batteries once every 4 months for it, I would have to use it for 7-8 years before I spend in consumables what I am expected to spend up front to buy this keyboard. Save your money and use common sense to spend it where it matters (not on bells and whistles!!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-W...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331898982&sr=1-1

It's not supposed to save you money, but to save the environment from batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.