Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
let's wait and see.

Let's not. You obviously have high hopes but let's just wait and see if this thing actually works the way it was intended; to charge the keyboard.

It will not charge the iPad. Not a chance. If solar and battery power were able to generate 10W at a decent rate then they'd be inside cars and a multitude of other gadgets.

I say again: It won't charge the iPad.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I wish Logitech would just ship the Ultrathin iPad Keyboard Cover that I preordered on the first day it was announced. They have moved from "preorder" to "order now" however they show as "out of stock". I'm not sure how that is anything more than just extending the "preorder" period.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Let's not. You obviously have high hopes but let's just wait and see if this thing actually works the way it was intended; to charge the keyboard.

It will not charge the iPad. Not a chance. If solar and battery power were able to generate 10W at a decent rate then they'd be inside cars and a multitude of other gadgets.

I say again: It won't charge the iPad.

We know it doesn't charge the iPad, but it is certainly possible to charge an iPad with solar cells.

http://www.21st-century-goods.com/sunlinq-2-usb-solar-charger-4-watt-5-volt-portable-solar-panel/

This setup outputs 5 volts at 0.8 amps. The output of Apple's iPad charger is 5.1 volts @ 2.1 amps. Might not work for the newest iPad model but would probably be fine for any of the other models, or an iPhone.

As you can see, not cheap, but certainly possible.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I think that is a bit overstated. IPad keyboard cases typically MSRP for $99. A $30 premium here for a keyboard that will never die at exactly the wrong moment isn't that outrageous or toy-like. Plus most $99 keyboard cases street for $60-75 so I suspect this will be discounted too after the early adopters dive in.

That's the way I see it.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
...Or you simply just could buy a Macbook Air. The solar powering is a nice idea, but I'll never understand people actually working with this kind of gadgets for iPad..
Probably cuz the MBA isn't a touchscreen?

This seems like a story Logitech paid for. I would honestly have no problem if that was the case, provided it was made clear. Something along the lines of "sponsored story". It shouldn't be masquerading as something newsworthy.
Of course Logitech probably paid for it. How else do you think MacRumors pays for the site? Advertising. And yes, ethically IF Logitech paid for it, it should be a "sponsored story" as you put it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
u know having a physical keyboard is overrated.

honestly never use my bluetooth keyboard with my ipad.

maybe if it was part of the case it would change

I do use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard often, but only when I'm at home and I need to type or edit a lot of documents. The reason for the external keyboard is not only to type faster, but to gain more real estate on the screen.

[I know, I should start using SIRI Dictation instead.... but I'm not always in a silent environment]

Under any other circumstance and when on the road, I use my iPad as a Tablet.

I just don't see the need to get this Logitech Solar keyboard/case. It will just add to the weight of the iPad or it will require me to keep switching the iPad to a lighter case when I take it on the road.

I may consider it when price drops to under $50.00. I'll give it about three months for that to happen.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Seriously?

With that kind of low-power draw and battery length just remove the solar tech and shed half the thing's weight. Not to mention the price.

I could live with changing out a battery every 6 months.

Edit:

It's not supposed to save you money, but to save the environment from batteries.

Oh. Well, Ok then. Carry on!

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Solar power.....?! Like I can even see my iPad screen in sunlight, with that shiny screen and all those finger print marks on it, LOL!

And yes, I know it says you can charge it indoors, but the irony still amuses me... :D

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I have a case with a BT keyboard but I can't type so I gave it to my daughter to better protect her Ipad 3. Kids need the extra protection on their expensive toys.

----------

Under any other circumstance and when on the road, I use my iPad as a Tablet.

Wow, you use your ipad as a tablet? Go figure! LOL jk.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Battery capacity seems a bit out of whack... two, three months between seeing some sun should be more than enough.

I bet the cost / weight of a larger battery was negligible, so they just put the larger capacity in.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It's not supposed to save you money, but to save the environment from batteries.

I don't imagine Logitech had this in mind when designing this product and if you a true cost benefit analysis I think you will probably find changing the batteries 2-3 times each year provide environmentally burden than the manufacturing process and components if said gadget. But each to their own and all that jazz. Whatever makes people feel less remorseful about their excessive consuming

damage00

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Gotta keep 'em separated

I kinda wish MacRumors clearly marked which articles were advertisements. Uh em, I mean, "Paid articles".

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Probably cuz the MBA isn't a touchscreen?

Of course Logitech probably paid for it. How else do you think MacRumors pays for the site? Advertising. And yes, ethically IF Logitech paid for it, it should be a "sponsored story" as you put it.

This comes up every time MacRumors runs a story about a new product.
Each time one of the moderators post something to the effect of "MacRumors does not post sponsored stories".
I'd remind those complaining that its rather arrogant to complain that just because you don't have any interest in a product, does not mean that no one else has an interest in it.
If it was a product you were interested in, you would not be complaining about "sponsored posts".

Myself, I am interested in this, although unlikely to spend the money to buy it. To have to worry about spare batteries, etc. for the keyboard defeats one of the purposes of the iPad which is that it can fit in a tiny package and has a long battery so you don't have to worry about it. To never have to worry about batteries for the keyboard is useful imo

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Now this is really cool! A bit pricey of course... but a solar power keyboard is a great idea, and the fact that the battery lasts 2 YEARS??!? We need to invent more ultra low powered electronics! :) Plus I find a "real" keyboard a great complement to the iPad. At least when I'm doing lots of typing...

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Bluetooth finally

Nice to see they incorporated Bluetooth into this keyboard, but there may not have been much for other options. In my review of Logitech's K750 keyboard, my biggest gripe was the lack of Bluetooth connectivity, which would have made that keyboard much more useful if it could have been paired up with an iPad, in addition to a Mac.

According to Logitech's website, this Folio only works with 2nd and 3rd generation iPads, not the first generation. Hmmm....

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
People still doing solar powered gadgets?

They are still missing the basic steps of usability?

iPads are unlikely to be used outside and/or to have a solar panel directed to the light source both when in use or not in use.

Same goes for phone. Stop with this trivial things! The case per se is nice tho.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
...iPads are unlikely to be used outside and/or to have a solar panel directed to the light source both when in use or not in use....

Nonsense. You balance it on your head while walking to your next class across campus. You will then be charging your keyboard and learning good posture at the same time!:rolleyes:

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I was waiting for such an accessory.

But not at this price point. $40 without the solar cells, and it would be a great seller.

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
I really don't get this idea. So I should put my iPad out in the sun somewhere? Let the overall device and case get nice and hot? Even indoors, I would have to velcro my iPad to the window, or create a large ledge and hold back the curtains and blinds so that it can charge.

I'm a big fan of solar power, but I think this idea is a fail.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I really don't get this idea. So I should put my iPad out in the sun somewhere? Let the overall device and case get nice and hot? Even indoors, I would have to velcro my iPad to the window, or create a large ledge and hold back the curtains and blinds so that it can charge.

I'm a big fan of solar power, but I think this idea is a fail.

The keyboard doesn't need direct sunlight. I have the desktop version for my Mac and I never have direct sunlight on my computer. Battery level on my keyboard is always 100% and it charges even with ambient light. It is really great.

----------

I wish Logitech would just ship the Ultrathin iPad Keyboard Cover that I preordered on the first day it was announced. They have moved from "preorder" to "order now" however they show as "out of stock". I'm not sure how that is anything more than just extending the "preorder" period.

Mine was shipped today and it is going to be delivered tomorrow, at least according to UPS tracking.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Being an airline pilot, I wish there was an ipad and iphone solar powered case that charged my electronics while I was up in the air, closer to the sun...... hopefully someday.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Why the hell would you want your keyboard to last two years, surely in a year or so you might be able to find a plug and a couple of hours to wait? Who are they targeting these things for? Arctic bears? Himalayan ibexes? Even they would hardly appreciate a two year keyboard life when their ipad will be off power in 10 hours.

This thing looks fugly (maybe in white it would have looked a bit better) and it's main selling point is a non issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.